News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Overenthusiastic Newguy

Started by Ricochet Rabbit, February 09, 2017, 11:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: The Wolfhound on February 20, 2017, 09:06:18 AM
Push that scope as far forward as possible in those rings.  I like my 597.  Be careful what you feed it.  It will like to stay clean.  Plan on cleaning Saturday night.  They are plenty accurate.  Malfunctions have been the issues I have seen.  Easiest .22LR mag to load, once they break in.  Keepshooting.com has 597 mags on sale TODAY.

Thanks for the tip on keepshooting...can't beat that price, even with shipping. I went ahead and ordered two.
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

d2331

I'm late to the party but I'll share my experience.  My first Appleseed I shot I had a bolt action.  Boy that was an eye opener!  It's an accurate rifle but I'm not near fast enough on the bolt and I had difficulty keeping my position.  Hats off to those who can do it with a bolt action, I can't.  I found out why semi-autos are the most common on the line, lol.  It can be done with a bolt action but a semi-auto makes it easier, at least for me.  After that I got a 10/22.  When doing mag changes my mags would catch on the sharp edge of the stock.  Well 30 seconds with a file to round out those edges made a world of difference.

And don't worry about the clock.  Just forget about how much time you have and do you thing, you'll be much better off.  I realize that's easier said than done but 1 good shot is better than 3 rushed shots that miss the mark.  The speed will come with practice as you become more comfortable.

Good luck and have fun.

Ricochet Rabbit

Yes indeed d2331, that bolt is screaming in stages 2 and 3, and I'm just dry firing lol. Well, like that exercise guy says, I'm gonna do my best and forget the rest.

Just a quick update. I received my sling and swivels from the Appleseed store yesterday. I mounted the sling on the Remington and tested it out with a standing hasty sling. And guess what? The front stud pulled right out of that cheap plastic stock. So, if anyone has any tips for fixing it, that would be great. I thought about epoxy, but I doubt it will hold. I've done a cursory search for machine thread studs with nuts, but haven't found anything yet...
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Square-Eye

I have pulled front studs out of plastic stocks, wood stocks, and repaired several other for family and friends.

Typically will use a HB2 (or 2A or 2R) from Harris Bipod.  These adapters can be fit into your stock with a little work from a dremel tool, utility knife, small chisel, etc.  I then use good old JB weld to hold it in place.  On plastic stocks I will "dimple" the plastic with a soldering iron or a heated nail to give the JB a little bit more to grab onto.  I don't truly know if it is necessary, but I have not had one fail yet after the repair.

If you get some JB in your threads don't sweat it, just chase them with a tap.  Pretty simple.  Even a cave man, like me, can do it.

Keep them in the middle & we will see you on the range!!  Have a Great American Day!!

goodoldfriend

I will try to revisit my 597 and see how I got them mounted. My gut feeling is that I drilled the hole or holes smaller than the threads. I do recall pulling the cap off of the back of the stock so I may have mounted that with a nut inside. It seems like I ordered two sets of studs when I did mine.

If the front one is pulling out you may have to do some remediation with epoxy. I would think that a good two part epoxy (or JB Weld) should allow enough strength to anchor it.

I know there are aftermarket stocks available for the rifle too. Boyd's comes to mind.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Ricochet Rabbit

Thanks for the tip on the Harris stud Square-Eye, that looks like it will work.

QuoteI know there are aftermarket stocks available for the rifle too. Boyd's comes to mind.

As flimsy as the stock stock is, I'll probably end up having to do this eventually, it's just not in the budget right now, so I just have to make do.

By the way goodoldfriend, have a great boot camp!

TomM1Thumb

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

goodoldfriend

St8space,

Thanks, it was great...tiring, but great.
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Ricochet Rabbit

Time for a quick update. So, Jonathan and I drove out to the ODNR range this morning and guess what? Yeah, nobody bothered to show up and open the range. I had called Friday and was assured that the range would indeed be open from 9 to 5, and their website also did not indicate otherwise. We waited until 945, and still nobody showed up. I finally called the poacher hotline (the only number that produced a pulse on the other end) and they claimed that the range is closed until April. Needless to say, I am somewhat aggravated by this. Had I known, I wouldn't have driven an hour there and an hour back, and I would have waited until April to buy my annual permit.

Anyway, to salvage the day, we stopped in at Point Blank (an indoor range) on the way home and shot the Remington for the first time. Earlier in the week I repaired the sling stud, so we were able to do some offhand work. And then came the second disappointment of the day: We pegged the scope all the way to the left and all the way down and it still wouldn't hit to point-of-aim. I guess I should have known that cheap scope mounted to the dovetail grooves was going to be trouble. So, I am not sure how to remedy that issue. I am thinking about just remounting it and seeing if that helps any. If not, I may just have to spring for a decent base, rings, and scope.

On a positive note, I am extremely pleased with how the rifle shot. Jonathan and I were both able to turn in some decent scores on the offhand target using Kentucky windage. Also, we shot about 50 rounds of Federal Automatch, 50 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 36 grain CPHP, and 10 rounds of SK Rifle Match with only one malfunction (failure to feed with the CCI). We currently have four magazines and we tried them all with none displaying any issues. Also on a positive note, I am extremely happy with how Jonathan shot, and I think he really enjoyed getting to shoot the rifle for the first time. He's shot various firearms before, but has never really spent a lot of time shooting, so I couldn't be any more pleased with how well he did. So, the results are below. The upper-left target has a red dot on it to indicate our approximate point-of-aim:

Ricochet Rabbit

Update on the Remington: I did not disassemble the 597 prior to shooting it yesterday, I simply locked the bolt back and ran a bore snake through it to clear any grease from the factory. I see now that was a mistake. I took it apart for cleaning and found considerable grit in the receiver, as if it had been shot outside (recall that we shot in the indoor range because the outdoor range was closed). Furthermore, I found that the barrel was loose, with a considerable gap (maybe a 1/16th or 1/32) opening and closing just by wiggling the rear of the receiver by hand. I checked the wedge screw and it was very tight, wouldn't turn either direction easily. It also appeared as though there was dirty, corroded pipe dope where it threads into the barrel. I know, it shouldn't be pipe dope, but that's what it looked like. Anyway, I turned the wrench around to the long end, ran the screw out and found that the threads are flattened out:

It's a wonder we were able to hit anything with the rifle. In fact, it's a wonder we didn't rupture any cases, because the only thing maintaining headspace was the bolt return springs. Now I need to figure out who to contact. I have never seen a new rifle that was that filthy from the factory, which leads me to suspect that someone from Dick's was shooting this rifle and messing around with it. Recall that the scope was poorly mounted, yet another indication that it had been messed with after the factory. The magazine follower did have some carbon on it, but it wasn't excessive, so I had assumed it was from test firing at the factory. Something tells me that either this rifle was returned or that an employee is taking guns out and shooting them...

Ricochet Rabbit

Just got off the phone with Remington and they were nice-as-could-be and they didn't give me any hassles, so that speaks well of them so far. I have to box the rifle up and send it to them for repair. I am guessing it won't be back in time for April's shoot, so I am hoping Corvette will maybe have a second loaner available  :)  I'll hit you up as it gets closer and I know more...

Charles McKinley

I would talk to the manager at Dick's.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Crazyduckhunter

St8Space
Sorry to see that you drove all the way to the ODNR range to find that it is closed. If you are driving that far to find a range you can certainly check out the Orwell Gun Club. This is my home range and we will be hosting our first AS in May! The range is open anytime to members and on Monday evenings we are open from 6-8 for members and non-members alike. We also just recently built a indoor air gun range(10 meters) for winter time and for when it is raining. Also if you do not receive the Remington back in time for your AS I have a couple you could use for loaners. Good luck.

goodoldfriend

Wow, I would call Remington again and let them know you need it for the April event and ask if there is any way it can be expedited. The worst they can say is no.

EGW is the only base I have ever found for that rifle but there might be others. This is a link to their site for the item. You may be able to find it for less elsewhere.
http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/remington-597-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-0-moa/

I searched again and found this for much less cost. I know nothing about the vendor:
http://gnarlygorilla.com/remington-597-tactical-multi-slot-weaver-base

Those look like decent groups to me, very nice. I need to step up my practice and shoot better now!
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Ricochet Rabbit

Weekend Update: On Saturday, I took the Ruger out and got in some more practice. All of the groups are offhand at 25yds with Federal Gold Medal Match, except for the last one, which was CCI Mini Mag 36 gr CPHP:

Those smaller targets sure are a challenge offhand. I may have mentioned it, but I sure do love that Ruger.

On the Remington front, I was working on returning it to Remington and that turned out to be more of a hassle than a $200 rifle is worth. So, I decided to fix it myself. The barrel is now mounted properly with no wiggle and the gap between receiver and barrel is closed up. So I took it to the range this morning to get it sighted in. The target below shows basically how that went down. Fixing the barrel issue did seem to bring the group back to the left, but did nothing for the elevation. So I swapped the front scope ring with the rear. The next group fired didn't even hit paper, so I brought the adjustments back to midrange and pulled the target in to 7 yards until I could get close. I fired several groups, making adjustments along the way, and, once it was good, I moved it back to 25 yds. After some more adjustments, I was able to get it grouping very close to point of aim. As a bonus, the adjustments are no longer at their extremes:

All of that shooting was done resting on the table as best I could (recall that this is an indoor range). I then moved on to some offhand shooting:

Clearly, as long as the shooter does their part (something I don't always do), the rifle is plenty capable. By the way, the initial sighting in was done with Federal Auto Match, along with some of the CCI Mini Mag 36 gr CPHP. The offhand shooting was done with the CCIs. I had one failure to fire with the Federal Auto Match (good primer strike, so it was definitely the ammo), and no other malfunctions whatsoever. All-in-all, it was a good weekend of shooting.

As an aside, I had a gentleman approach me at the range to ask where I got the targets. He is a Marine veteran and wanted to get some targets like the ones he shot at in the military. I gave him one of mine and briefly told him what I knew about Appleseed. He seemed pretty interested, so, who knows, maybe we'll see him at a future shoot.

Ricochet Rabbit

Quick Update: I took another brief trip to the indoor range for some practice. I took both rifles and started with the 597. After checking the zero, I decided to try a redcoat with my elbows resting on the range table (my version of prone lol). I was on the 400 yard and pulled my second shot off target  :-[ To add insult to injury, the trigger ceased functioning. Switching to the Ruger, I threw five shots at the shingle. Then I made an attempt with the Ruger on a second redcoat. And...close, but no cigar:

I then went on to work on a regular qualification target. Stages 1 and 2 are offhand, while stage 3 is with my modified prone. I ran out of ammo on stage 4:

After getting home, I pulled the 597 down and found the mechanism connecting the trigger to the sear disconnected at the sear. The pin is apparently just pressed into the sear. I did some poking around on the internet and found that I am not the only one to experience this issue. In fact, I found a thread wherein an Appleseed instructor was relating similar experiences with two other 597s back around 2014. So, apparently, Remington doesn't see a need to fix their shoddy design (mine was manufactured in 2016). Anyway, I took it apart and pressed the pin back in place and it is functioning for now. Some comments suggested that Remington may mail a replacement trigger group, so I may give that a try. Otherwise, the rifle is quite accurate, as shown in the above target. So, as long as I can keep it functioning, whomever uses this rifle should have a good shot at their patch.

Charles McKinley

Notice how your groups shrink with the size of the target.

Pick a smaller aiming point on stage one.  I suggest the top of the V circle if you can see it.

Sorry to hear about you problems with the Remington.  On the bright side you will know the workings of it well.

See you in April,

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Ricochet Rabbit

You've got a sharp eye Chuck, thanks for the advice. I think I've just been trying to guesstimate where the center is. I'll pay closer attention in my next practice session and see how well I can make out the V ring and try to aim tighter.

BamaFan7

I'll be at New Philadelphia too in April. Fingers crossed the weather breaks a little. When I was there last year, it was sweltering hot.

I'll be using my new Ruger 10/22 w/ scope this time. Hopefully, I fair a little better than I did last year with a carbine length AR w/ iron sights shooting M193 ammo.

I don't know if I'm more excited for the shooting or the history. Corvette's passion and story telling ability is incredible.
"where the body of the people, or any single man, is deprived of their right, or is under the exercise of a power without right, and have no appeal on earth, then they have a liberty to appeal to heaven, whenever they judge the cause of sufficient moment."

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: BamaFan7 on March 17, 2017, 10:50:33 PM
I'll be at New Philadelphia too in April. Fingers crossed the weather breaks a little. When I was there last year, it was sweltering hot.

I'll be using my new Ruger 10/22 w/ scope this time. Hopefully, I fair a little better than I did last year with a carbine length AR w/ iron sights shooting M193 ammo.

I don't know if I'm more excited for the shooting or the history. Corvette's passion and story telling ability is incredible.

I hear ya, I'd rather our first Appleseed not be a winterseed. As to using a centerfire, that'll be somewhere down the road for me. That Ruger should do good by you though, and it's so much cheaper. I've missed owning a .22...it's so nice to be able to go out and shoot on a regular basis without breaking the bank. I am intrigued by the history myself, and it will definitely be good for the kids to hear as well. What they teach in schools these days is a mockery of our nation and it makes me sick. I look forward to seeing you there.

Ricochet Rabbit

Does anyone know what the typical course-of-fire at the New Philadelphia Appleseed will be? In particular, will the stages be broken up with preparation periods, or will it be shot as one continuous stage? Or do I need to prepare for both? I am going to order a spare magazine for my Ruger as a panic magazine, but I'd rather not spend 80 dollars on four if they aren't necessary...

Charles McKinley

EZ3's daughter shot score at her first Appleseed with a bolt gun and ONE seven round magazine. (7 fives are worth more the 10 threes)

You should have at least 2 magazines.  There is a post in deals and steals about mags for $11 somewhere and if you go on eBay you can get 3 mags for a little over $36 including shipping.

There will be the red coat which is 13 rounds,  squares for sighting in with instruction in between 5 rounds per square,  stage 2 and 3 need two mags prepped 2 rounds and 8 rounds, ball and dummy drill is easier with two mags.

I have extra mags unless all my rifles are loaned out.

This is another reason to look at the entire "system" (gun, magazines,ammunition) when purchasing a firearm.  Without a magazine you firearm is little more than a poorly shaped rock or club.  Especially if it has a dangerous magazine disconnect rendering your gun ineffective if the magazine falls out.

A 10/22 cost more up front but shares mags with your Ruger American Rimfire.  Ruger mags are comparatively cheap, if you have time and shop around, and are available almost every where, if you need it NOW. (See rock/club comment above) I've never heard anyone complaining that they had too many magazines,  too many different magazines that don't interchange is another story.  Nothing like showing up at the range with mags that don't work with your exotic gun in an off caliber and can't even barrow something to get by.

If I was starting  over from zero I would buy 10/22, 9mm Glocks, 5.56x45 AR mil spec rifles, and a pump 12 gage.  This is just my personal preference.  I've been in this game for along time and have odd stuff and it is a pain sometimes.  I have a 357 Sig, expensive and hard to find.

Just my $0.02 that depreciates every day.

navybowhunter

To the groups being larger on the larger targets:

As mentioned by Charles Mckinley, your groups get bigger as the targets get bigger.  Why is that?

I will tell you...., it is because you are staring at the target.  It is VERY EASY to do on the targets as they get larger.

I use this as a teaching point when someone cleans the Redcoat target.  I mean, they hit the shingle, 400 and 300 targets were tiny cloverleafs.  200 and 100 target groups were large.   Only ONE reason for this and that is staring at the target.

Does not matter if one is using irons or a scope, it will be the same result ALWAYS if you are staring at the target.

Try keeping intense focus on the front sight or reticle for the rapid seated and standing portions and you will see improved results.

R/
Chris

navybowhunter

Overenthusiastic,

Please take some time and read this post, it is more of what I have alluded to above.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=50101.0

R/
Chris

navybowhunter

Lastly (for now),

Are your shots on call?

Simple question, but.....if you are not calling the shots, then you are NOT FOCUSED on the front sight.

I'd venture to say that you are not calling your shots on the 100 yard target (standing). 

Start FORCING yourself to keep that eye open, and stay focused on that front sight.  You will see marked improvement if you learn to discipline yourself to CALL the shot.

We TEACH/PREACH calling the shot, but sadly to say....many have no idea what that is.

I take videos, or have others take videos so I can critique myself.

This is one of me practicing on the SCATT system a few weeks ago.  I am shooting on a simulated 600 yard target, it is fairly realistic with the exception of wind.

CALLING the shot!  I am calling the shot in this vid, albeit fast....before looking at the shot value on the SCATT.

You will see the last shot (2nd shot) was INSIDE my call..., I called it a 10, and it was actually an X.

THIS is what shot calling is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL9WAsBwUBE

R/
Chris

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Charles McKinley on March 18, 2017, 11:30:04 AM
EZ3's daughter shot score at her first Appleseed with a bolt gun and ONE seven round magazine. (7 fives are worth more the 10 threes)

You should have at least 2 magazines.  There is a post in deals and steals about mags for $11 somewhere and if you go on eBay you can get 3 mags for a little over $36 including shipping.

There will be the red coat which is 13 rounds,  squares for sighting in with instruction in between 5 rounds per square,  stage 2 and 3 need two mags prepped 2 rounds and 8 rounds, ball and dummy drill is easier with two mags.

I have extra mags unless all my rifles are loaned out.

This is another reason to look at the entire "system" (gun, magazines,ammunition) when purchasing a firearm.  Without a magazine you firearm is little more than a poorly shaped rock or club.  Especially if it has a dangerous magazine disconnect rendering your gun ineffective if the magazine falls out.

A 10/22 cost more up front but shares mags with your Ruger American Rimfire.  Ruger mags are comparatively cheap, if you have time and shop around, and are available almost every where, if you need it NOW. (See rock/club comment above) I've never heard anyone complaining that they had too many magazines,  too many different magazines that don't interchange is another story.  Nothing like showing up at the range with mags that don't work with your exotic gun in an off caliber and can't even barrow something to get by.

If I was starting  over from zero I would buy 10/22, 9mm Glocks, 5.56x45 AR mil spec rifles, and a pump 12 gage.  This is just my personal preference.  I've been in this game for along time and have odd stuff and it is a pain sometimes.  I have a 357 Sig, expensive and hard to find.

Just my $0.02 that depreciates every day.

I have two for the Ruger and four for the 597. I am going to get a third for the Ruger as a panic mag and just in case one goes bad. I had read elsewhere in the forums that sometimes they run a single, long stage that requires six magazines, but it sounds like I needn't be concerned about that.

As to oddballs, I once owned a Savage model 99 chambered in .358. There was only one factory loading at the time, it was almost impossible to find, and extremely expensive when you did. But man did I love that rifle. It had the older, non-detachable 5 round rotary magazine, the straight pistolgrip stock, and a Williams peep sight. It was a joy to just hold that rifle, and I could shoot 4" groups at 100 yards with it.

Then I had a S&W 1006 in the early 90s. Again, so hard to find ammo and it was not cheap. But, it was a beautifully made handgun and a sweet shooter.

I should never have gotten rid of either of those, but, out of practicality, I did. I'd love to have them back, especially that Savage.

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: navybowhunter on March 18, 2017, 12:40:24 PM
Lastly (for now),

Are your shots on call?

Simple question, but.....if you are not calling the shots, then you are NOT FOCUSED on the front sight.

I'd venture to say that you are not calling your shots on the 100 yard target (standing). 

Start FORCING yourself to keep that eye open, and stay focused on that front sight.  You will see marked improvement if you learn to discipline yourself to CALL the shot.

We TEACH/PREACH calling the shot, but sadly to say....many have no idea what that is.

I take videos, or have others take videos so I can critique myself.

This is one of me practicing on the SCATT system a few weeks ago.  I am shooting on a simulated 600 yard target, it is fairly realistic with the exception of wind.

CALLING the shot!  I am calling the shot in this vid, albeit fast....before looking at the shot value on the SCATT.

You will see the last shot (2nd shot) was INSIDE my call..., I called it a 10, and it was actually an X.

THIS is what shot calling is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL9WAsBwUBE

R/
Chris

Thanks for the advice. I know with irons to focus on the front sight, but I never really thought about it with a scope because it almost feels like they are on the same plane. I do call my shots to a certain extent, but nothing formal (no notebook). I am probably much more diligent with this in dry fire because there is no hole in the target to tell me where I hit. When shooting "furreals", I am not very precise about it, but I can definitely tell you when I am way off. Something else to keep in mind for my future sessions. I need to start noting this stuff down so that I can review it just before I shoot.

SteelThunder

Quote from: navybowhunter on March 18, 2017, 12:28:40 PM
To the groups being larger on the larger targets:

I use this as a teaching point when someone cleans the Redcoat target.  I mean, they hit the shingle, 400 and 300 targets were tiny cloverleafs.  200 and 100 target groups were large.   Only ONE reason for this and that is staring at the target.

100% agree that staring at the target will result in larger groups for larger targets.  That is if you are trying to get tiny groups on all targets.

If all you care about is hits, like on the Redcoat from the prone position, the other explanation for larger groups on larger targets is that the larger targets can be shot faster with less concentration.  If the object is to hit the target, and not necessarily have tiny groups, there is simply no need to spend as much time.

This happens all the time when I shoot 3Gun.  I'm going to have larger groups on a rifle target that is 25 yards away than one that is 200 yards away...simply because the 25 yarder is so easy to hit.

But...it doesn't take away from the fact that staring at the target is "a bad thing" (TM)
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

goodoldfriend

Quote from: St8space on March 18, 2017, 10:12:18 AM
I am going to order a spare magazine for my Ruger as a panic magazine, but I'd rather not spend 80 dollars on four if they aren't necessary...

I don't know if I replied to this but I think this might be a good deal on the Ruger mags.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/44912

I am a little excessive (LOL) I usually have 5 or 6 mags that I run when I shoot an event. I do my best to stay prepped and in the bubble.

Also...what good advice about where focus needs to be. I guess I knew that but I am questioning if I do it or not. Looks like a good excuse to schedule some trigger time.
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Charles McKinley

Several eBay sellers have the 3 packs for $36 with shipping included.

The shipping in the above post starts at $7.00.