News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tallahassee Rifleman Boot Camp 1-17

Started by Engineer shooting, February 05, 2017, 12:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

What caliber of students and Instructors does the Tallahassee Rifleman Boot Camp attract?

All graduates from last year's Tallahassee Rifleman Boot Camp are current instructors.

Prior to the start of Tallahassee Rifleman Boot Camp we held an Instructor KD all eight requalified, including the top three women in Appleseed.

Eight Instructors, the hardest working in Appleseed averaging 20 events worked last year, took a week for the cause.

Students came from as far as NYC and Wyoming. 

Results:  Seven new Orange Hats and a new Blue Hat. Half of which also got their Long Distance rockers!

And gentlemen in America now a-bed Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here…..
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

B.C.

Best venue, best hosts, best students and the very best instructors in the land. What a week indeed my friends. I hope see to see you all again very soon. To all the new orange hats: remember my challenge to you - I want to see you all back next year with red on the head! Thanks to all for an unforgettable week of joy and the fantastic moments around the evening camp fire of wisdom. Enjoy the pictures I took below.
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

B.C.

Even more. I know, wow!
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Marquis de M

Day 1 notes:
- THE IMPORTANCE OF CHEEK-WELD -
Tried out my new Ruger 10/22 TD with scope, which was sighted in with sand bags for 25m before I came to the BC, but - I had no cheekweld , I had mandible-weld, which at end of day 1 began to hurt and did not allow me a proper stable position :(
The instructors were so kind to offer me a loaner, but I had my Ruger Commemorative 10/22 with stock iron sights with me, so I declined and thought I just switch to that from Day 2 onwards...
- To be continued -
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

Marquis de M

Day 1 Notes
- THE IMPORTANCE OF CHEEK WELD -
ADDENDUM:
The Ruger 10/22 TD Model does have an exchangeable stock, but I had left it at home, will see if that does the trick for me. If not, there are aftermarket pads which can be bought to stick on the stock, adjustable screwed cheek extensions can be had for $40 upwards on Amazon and complete stock exchanges can be performed (Magpul has one for example). I will see what works for me. But more importantly, see what works for you! I knew that when I bought it that I did not have proper cheek weld and I had asked the sales person if that could be changed but the answer was just a simple "no", so I had thought I'd just have to live with it, but learnt from our BC Instructors that there ARE various ways of improving the situation- and I will make sure to make that correction ASAP!
---

---

Marquis de M

Day 2 Notes
- Sighting in the Ruger 10/22 Commemorative Model 2 -
Please refer to this link:
https://1022companion.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/adjusting-the-1022-peep-sight/
Suffice to say it was a pain to sight in. Please note that I had tightened the rear sight screw very well before coming to the BC, see Day 3 Notes on why I emphasize this detail.

Apart from sighting in, I spent the day pretty much trying to get the hang of the AQT and trying to get my groups to shrink, but somehow it wasn't happening... slightly bewildered by end of day 2 when the first Orange Hats were achieved my progress seemed nonexistent. Was glad I had come to the 6 day Bootcamp instead of only a 2 day weekend training! Stay tuned for Day 3 Notes.
Lest I forget, ALL Instructors had encouraging words for all of us on all days...!
- To be continued -
---

---

sleepy

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped run the RBC. Your motivation, dedication, generosity, and patience really made this a great event on many levels for we newer riflemen coming aboard.

The January 2017 RBC was my first real vacation in the 25-odd years since my reenacting days. I couldn't think of a better cause, time, or group of people to be spending that vacation with.

Marquis de M

Quote from: sleepy on February 06, 2017, 12:09:52 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone who helped run the RBC. Your motivation, dedication, generosity, and patience really made this a great event on many levels for we newer riflemen coming aboard.

The January 2017 RBC was my first real vacation in the 25-odd years since my reenacting days. I couldn't think of a better cause, time, or group of people to be spending that vacation with.

Hear, hear!!!
---

---

9mm4545

I am just blown away by how much fun I had and how much I saw the group come together in the pursuit of marksmanship. These are some fine Americans here and I am proud to have been there. Now, when can we do it again? :-)
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

JustKim

WOW!  What a great week of RBC!!!  It was a great time with a great group of people!!  Camping out for a week, you sure get to know one another.  I was so impressed with the caliber of shooters.  I was amazed by the huge progress made by all!  I've never seen so many orange hats in one place - how exciting!!!  We had a very diverse group of people from all over (NY, CT, WY, TN, TX, FL).  Appleseed attracts GREAT people!! 
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Lucky Lori

Another moustache

rambo granny

Best RBC ever! Also raised the bar on what success really looks like for students & instructors alike.
Was great being in the company of so many REAL Americans who prize our heritage and the blessings of Liberty.    ^:)^ :F :~
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

PHenry

I am humbled by the tireless efforts of the crew at the IDMR. The bar is raised!  :bow:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Lucky Lori

What a wonderful event !!  They just  keep getting  better ! First thanks to engineer shooting for  all the  time  and  patience putting  on such a stellar event !  It couldn't have been much better.  Thanks  to all of the hats who came, camped out  ( which was  Great )  and  helped with Everything !   F.Y.I.  Everyone  should come and camp  out  at the range  for  yet  another  wonderful  experience  beyond  words.   Thank you  to    ALL  of our  students  who  attended .  What  a  fine   interesting   different  bunch  of  students !!   I Really  enjoyed   meeting ,   working  with,  sharing ,  and  getting  to know  a  fine  bunch  of students .  EVERYONE  learned  SOOOOO much   and improved   SSSSOOOOOO  much  !   I  consider  everyone  this  past  event  as  my  closest  friends  in  Liberty ! Huzah !!  I hope  to see you  again  at   our  range    or  another  ( we travel  a lot  and get many different  places )    Please  keep in touch ,  come  back  again   bring  family  or friends  but  continue  to improve   pass  on  the message  and   improve. 
Lucky  Lori

Marquis de M

Day 3 Notes
- When your groups are not shrinking and maybe even opening up, check your hardware -
Day 3 I used my Ruger 10/22 Commemorative Model and somehow wasn't making any progress, my groups just did not seem to shrink, instead they seemed to get erratic slowly over time.
Lamenting this around noon, JustKim commented that maybe I'd like to take my rifle off the line and check my rifle through, but line was cold at that time and had to wait past lunch and I forgot...
About two or three rounds in to the afternoon, I remembered JustKim's words and looked at my rifle as I was laying it down after completing the stage we just had and to my SHOCK, the rear sight was flopping around loosely  :(  The screw securing it to the stock had come loose although I had tightened it before coming to Appleseed, but had not used Loktight ;(
But, as shocked as I was, I was glad to have found a reason for my "failure" to improve...
EngineerShooting was so kind to give me some Loktite and so I was back to once again, having to sight in that rifle... and the afternoon was gone.

But, one more thing: I will not divulge which Instructor told me the following tidbit of information, so as not to get her/him into trouble, BUT, seems like no Appleseed course attendee ever scored Rifleman with the stock sights on the Ruger Commemorative Model... I was strongly advised to exchange against the Techsights, which Ruger apparently had been requested to use for that model, but didn't, apparently for "cost" reasons... Naturally I had no chance to get these on the fly during the BC...

Luckily for me, SaltWaterShooter graciously offered me his rifle for use on Day 4...

- To be Continued -
---

---

Cheaper Man

As a new shooter, I did not even know what I did not know.

On my first day I was barely hitting the paper targets at 25m. By the end of the first day most of my shots were well placed and I was quickly approaching "score." On the beginning of day three, I achieved Rifleman score.

The methods taught by Appleseed works. You have to listen and apply what the instructors tell you. Do that, and you will shoot well.

Also, I believe the other truths taught by Appleseed works as well. The concepts of civic responsibility, duty, active participation in our representative republic and mindfulness of the sacrifices made by our fore-bearers are key to our shared prosperity. Do that, and we will all live well.

I learned allot during this week at RBC. The instructors are the kind of people you wish all your neighbors and friends could be. Yes, the shooting was fun but the discussions on our shared history and sacrifices by others to earn our liberty were just as stirring and fun for me. The instructors were instrumental in the success of the event. To them, I owe much.

Thank you, also, to Ken and Lori. Your kindness and hospitality in permitting us to be a part of the Issac Davis Boot Camp experience is deeply appreciated. You permitted me to become not only a Rifleman, but also to become a more educated and informed citizen. Truly, this week at Appleseed will be a week I will remember for many, many years to come.

Thank you!

gunjunkie

As my first RBC I wasn't sure what to expect but quickly learned what it would be, a week I will never forget. I was taken by the diversity of the students and what a great group of folks they were.
The instructors for this event are second to none and the finest people you would ever hope to meet.
I walked away from this event knowing that Appleseed is about much more then marksmanship or American history it is to me a lesson in citizenship. I think that's what are founders message really is, be a good citizen, stay informed, stay involved and help others when you can. Don't allow others to be your voice, be active in your neighborhood, your town, your country and it will remain yours.

I would like to thank Lucky Lori and Engineer Shooting for hosting such a great event and providing a great range, I appreciate all you do. I would also like to thank all the students, it was a honor to have been one of your instructors and look forward to seeing you all again on the Appleseed trail.           
Be aware of yourself and everything around you.

Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom! Thomas Jefferson

We shall pass this way on earth but once, if there is a kindness we can show, or act we can do, let us do it now,for we will never pass this way again.
Stephen Grellet

9mm4545

Hear ye! Hear ye! Those at the boot camp may recall a discussion around the campfire one evening about a GoFundMe campaign to help secure a well for the IDMR. As promised, Brassass has organized such a campaign and even put in the first contribution to make it happen. Please consider chipping in so Ken and Lori can quit hauling water to the range and get on to the more important business of creating new Riflemen and Instructors. Here is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/save-american-heritage It is easy to do and you will feel better afterwards.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

su:)

Thank you Lucky Lori and Engineer Shooting for hosting this amazing event and thanks to all the instructors for making it such a wholesome learning experience! I already miss the IDMR! Huysman and I brought some Spanish moss back home and it reminds me of the RBC and all the great people we met there. Appleseed has given me valuable lessons in marksmanship and civic engagement. We signed up for another in CT... the foot of snow I just cleared off my car tonight is a good indication it will be a Winterseed~

High-vis link to the IDMR Well campaign:
https://www.gofundme.com/save-american-heritage

Huysman

Thanks to all the instructors, other students, and especially Ken and Lori for the incredible RBC.  I had heard only good things about Appleseed but the week really exceeded all my expectations. 

I came for the marksmanship, but I think the lessons on civics and history are what got me thinking the most.  But the marksmanship methods DO work.  I'd never shot past 25 yards before the week, but by the end I was ringing steel at 400 yards with a rifle I'd never picked up before that morning. 

One thought - the group dinner was great.  With how packed the days were with instruction and practice it was the first time I felt like I got to really know my fellow riflemen.  Holding it earlier in the week might be a great thing for building a sense of comradery. 

I'm looking forward to earning my winterseed patch with su:).  Hopefully the methods hold up as well in the frigid north

falcon793

I could not attend the RBC, but I did get to shoot on the KD and qualified. I am always amazed at the caliber of marksmen and women that I get to rub elbows with on the firing line.

I thank Ken and Lori for hosting another KD and RBC. What a privilege it is to attend Appleseeds, KDs and RBCs at IDMR. It is always such a pleasure to take part in those activities.  I look forward to going again.

I would like to especially thank all those Appleseeders who helped me pack my gear in the late evening on a moment's notice so I could go home to deal with a family emergency. I arrived at Orange Park Medical Center at about 0030 where I met my lovely wife who was undergoing emergency care. We are home and doing well now...looking forward to another Appleseed so I can be with my friends.

Engineer shooting

Quote from: falcon793 on February 16, 2017, 12:29:23 PM
I could not attend the RBC, but I did get to shoot on the KD and qualified. I am always amazed at the caliber of marksmen and women that I get to rub elbows with on the firing line.

I thank Ken and Lori for hosting another KD and RBC. What a privilege it is to attend Appleseeds, KDs and RBCs at IDMR. It is always such a pleasure to take part in those activities.  I look forward to going again.

I would like to especially thank all those Appleseeders who helped me pack my gear in the late evening on a moment's notice so I could go home to deal with a family emergency. I arrived at Orange Park Medical Center at about 0030 where I met my lovely wife who was undergoing emergency care. We are home and doing well now...looking forward to another Appleseed so I can be with my friends.

Falcon, everyone missed you and the toothpick. Super glad things worked out at home.   ..:..
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Brassass

***************HEY FINAL PUSH TO GET OUR FUNDRAISING GOAL ********* LETS GO!!!!!!!!

https://www.gofundme.com/save-american-heritage

9mm4545

I want to thank Brassass for getting the ball rolling on the fund-the-well project. It looks like the goal has been reached and it will be drill baby drill soon at the IDMR. Huzzah! Anyone clever enough to figure out how to rig a bicycle driven pump or some other sort of manual pump once water is struck? Anyone got a spare power generating station they want to donate?

Marquis de M

RBC Orange Hats!

I turned IIT 1 last weekend.

Who will race me to the Red Hat? Any challengers?

;)
---

---

Engineer shooting

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION
[/size]

Quote from: Jerry2017 on February 21, 2017, 08:00:18 AM
RBC Orange Hats!

I turned IIT 1 last weekend.

Who will race me to the Red Hat? Any challengers?

;)