News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Inferno seed!

Started by Quinncannon, January 29, 2017, 09:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinncannon

Hello, fellow Appleseeders! I would like to know if only Florida awards Inferno Seed patches? I understand a shoot has to meet a set criteria to qualify as an Infernoseed, but I'm willing to make a raid down into Florida to earn that patch! :)

I have the regular patches, long range tabs and even a Winterseed patch, I need an Infernoseed patch to complete the set!
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

DrRichP

Hi Quinncannon,

I think the Infernoseed patch is awarded when a Rifleman score is achieved at a temperature index above 100 degrees.

I hope to see you on the line soon.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Quinncannon

Thank you, in that case, we can certainly do that in Arkansas! :)
"This we"ll defend"

TomM1Thumb

Inferno seed, Temp 100 degrees or better, Humidity 98% or better.
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

brockkl

That would take an extra special kind of dedication

Quinncannon

We have had an Appleseed in Little Rock, Arkansas in August, 2010, temperature was over 100 and humidity 100 too, that was when I took an Orange Hat! Hadn't heard of an Infernoseed then! It was my second Appleseed and second Rifleman patch, I would rather shoot in 0 degree weather any day than that! :)
"This we"ll defend"

The Wolfhound

We only get to have "Sauna seeds" here in Virginia.  95-98 degrees and 100% humidity with no air movement.  No patch for it just lots of sweat.  Downing 3-4 liters of fluid is necessary during the day. The meteorologists have an explanation but we seldom break 100 because of our high humidity. 

MandyMonstar

That's how a lot of summer 'seeds go here in Louisiana.  I wasn't aware of a special patch for it!  Maybe we should put that in our announcements in case there're people from the arctic North who want the authentic melt-into-NPOA experience.  It certainly does teach perseverance.  ;)

airplanejoe

My understanding is that the conditions required to award an inferno seed patch is heat index of 100 F or greater. Actual temp and or relative humidity are relevant only to compute the heat index. As an example, a temp of 85 F combined with 90% relative humidity will give a 101.6 heat index.

Using the numbers QC gave in his posting, 100 F and 100 Relative Humidity will give a heat index of 196.3 F. Considering that 196.3 F = 90.7 C and that water boils at 100 C/212 F,  that is pretty warm indeed. Ouch!!

The point I would like to explore (since I'm not privy to any secret handshake) is this: Where in the Project Appleseed official literature is the award of patches addressed. Wherever that is, we should be able to find the parameters for different patches/conditions.

aj

airplanejoe

You can access a heat index calculator at www.weather.gov.

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: airplanejoe on February 01, 2017, 10:59:44 AM
The point I would like to explore (since I'm not privy to any secret handshake) is this: Where in the Project Appleseed official literature is the award of patches addressed. Wherever that is, we should be able to find the parameters for different patches/conditions.

You can find that info here in the FAQ section of TIPs:  What are the Official Rifleman Patches  (you must be an instructor to see this page)

The very cool Infernoseed patch is an unofficial patch (and only available in sunny Florida I've been told.)  I'd still be proud to rock one.   :cool2:
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

airplanejoe

azmule

Just 100 degrees?  Pffft!   **)
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

PHenry

To be perfectly accurate - the "Infernoseed" patch does not officially exist. It was created by a FL IIT (at that time, since turnt red hat) "Smoakingun", AKA Glen Smoak - a very fine instructor. We tried to get it approved, but Fred would have none of it, assuring me it gets just as hot in WI as it does in FL. I told him "Sir, you ain't from around here".

So, in the fine tradition of Appleseeds taught to me by my early mentors, we simply improvised. Glen had the patches made at his own expense and disbursed them to several SBs. I have to date awarded only one. The actual temp was 101 and the heat index was 127. It was on a covered line with fans, so I was of course reluctant, but I caved into peer pressure and gave up a red patch.

Contrary to any speculation otherwise - 100 degrees in a sub-tropical climate is not the same as 100 degrees up yonder. When the heat and humidity hit triple digits and the sun is high in the sky with no breeze - it isn't simply hot - it is dangerous. We move slower here in the summer for a reason.  ^-^

So to recap - there is no official Infernoseed patch, but there certainly orta be.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: PHenry on February 02, 2017, 04:10:36 PM
We move slower here in the summer for a reason.  ^-^

I didn't think that was the reason people from Florida moved slower...  :))
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

TomM1Thumb

"I didn't think that was the reason people from Florida moved slower...  "  Watch that Jack Thems Squirt gun words!!!!  HaHa
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Rev.357

Ah. There it is, the dead jure - dead actor disjunction. The difference between what should be and what is. Isn't that what Appleseed about? Amen to: there oughta be. BTW: great signature quotes in this string.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

smoakingun

OK. The infernoseed patch may become a reality for the rest of the program, not just Florida. The powers that be have requested samples so they may duplicate them.

When I proposed the idea several years ago, I was told "we are not a pach collecting organization" so, I spent the cash and it became a Florida thing. In the beginning the temp had to be over 100. Here in Florida, temps over 100 automatically bring humidity over 80%, that is brutal heat, the index on that is over 135. Wiser folks convinced me to make it based on heat index, so now the standard is a heat index of over 100, preferably measured on site with a kestrel. One other standard. The patch is not a repeat patch. If you don't get it the first time, you don't get it. The patch is intended to set apart those who persisted for the first one. It is always easier the second time you qualify.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

PHenry

Smoak,
Many thanks for both the clarification and more importantly, your steadfast and effective service to our mission.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

airplanejoe

Quote from: smoakingun on February 07, 2017, 10:25:09 PM
OK. The infernoseed patch may become a reality for the rest of the program, not just Florida. The powers that be have requested samples so they may duplicate them.

When I proposed the idea several years ago, I was told "we are not a pach collecting organization" so, I spent the cash and it became a Florida thing. In the beginning the temp had to be over 100. Here in Florida, temps over 100 automatically bring humidity over 80%, that is brutal heat, the index on that is over 135. Wiser folks convinced me to make it based on heat index, so now the standard is a heat index of over 100, preferably measured on site with a kestrel. One other standard. The patch is not a repeat patch. If you don't get it the first time, you don't get it. The patch is intended to set apart those who persisted for the first one. It is always easier the second time you qualify.

Thanks Smoak! There's the answer; since it doesn't officially exist, it can't appear in any official publication, so the only way to know is by what we called WOM (word of mouth). Another question/point for discussion: OAT 100F and 80 Humidity gives a heat index of 158.2 F. What is considered the "Danger Zone". I recall that in the military this was handled in the form of on-site ambulance/medics. Other than asking for persons who are qualified to handle mishaps, what do we do? The range I used to go to is at least 1 hour+ from civilization.
Just asking.
aj

PHenry

ItsanSKS and I hammered summer event protocols out long ago. Best to use only covered venues in hottest months and start earlier to get as much done before it gets ugly as possible. Incorporate hydration into the POI. If needed, walk the line during a short break and ask each shooter where their water is, do not move on until they lick it up and drink. Bring a case of water in a cooler with ice. Run the event pace a tad slower and keep a careful eye on shooters for heat stress.

This is why shoot bosses make the huge salaries.  ^-^

The Wolfhound

That sounds a lot like our protocol in Virginia.  Every time they come off the line, "drink water!' Some folks might think it is part of the line commands:  "prepare a magazine with XXXX rounds, drink water! Hydrate!"  >:D ;D

airplanejoe

Quote from: PHenry on February 09, 2017, 10:47:16 AM
ItsanSKS and I hammered summer event protocols out long ago.

WOM, or is it codified in an official publication. Scenario: a participant (or instructor) heat strokes , what next? Will there be anybody present to recognize what's happening?  How will that casualty be initially treated? What means of evacuation are present for serious cases? This all falls under the safety umbrella.

Again, just asking. Better to anticipate than to push the panic button later on. Paraphrasing, better to be preventive than corrective after the fact.

aj

B.C.

Quote from: smoakingun on February 07, 2017, 10:25:09 PM

When I proposed the idea several years ago, I was told "we are not a patch collecting organization" so, I spent the cash and it became a Florida thing. In the beginning the temp had to be over 100. Here in Florida, temps over 100 automatically bring humidity over 80%, that is brutal heat, the index on that is over 135. Wiser folks convinced me to make it based on heat index, so now the standard is a heat index of over 100, preferably measured on site with a kestrel. One other standard. The patch is not a repeat patch. If you don't get it the first time, you don't get it. The patch is intended to set apart those who persisted for the first one. It is always easier the second time you qualify.

For not being a patch collecting organization I sure do love my patch collection. I refer to my infernoseed as a "patch of persistence" I think I lost two gallons of sweat getting it last summer. Worth it!   
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

azmule

Here in Southern Arizona, my official Appleseed first aid kit consists (by volume) of 30% blow-out kit and 68% chemical cold packs, with some band-aids, moleskin, and benadril tucked in around the edges.  Fortunately, no matter how remote the range, pretty much every vehicle features powerful AC, and a cold pack tucked under each armpit and a couple held against the neck under the ears is pretty efficient at holding core temperature.

It's something we routinely watch for, and fortunately, it hasn't yet gotten beyond the "take a break to douse and drink in the shade" stage.  Most AZ folks know the drill, but we still remind 'em to keep hydrating all day long.

Quote from: airplanejoe on February 09, 2017, 04:18:25 PM
Quote from: PHenry on February 09, 2017, 10:47:16 AM
ItsanSKS and I hammered summer event protocols out long ago.

WOM, or is it codified in an official publication. Scenario: a participant (or instructor) heat strokes , what next? Will there be anybody present to recognize what's happening?  How will that casualty be initially treated? What means of evacuation are present for serious cases? This all falls under the safety umbrella.

Again, just asking. Better to anticipate than to push the panic button later on. Paraphrasing, better to be preventive than corrective after the fact.

aj
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda