News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Winterseed, Liberty Center, OH Jan 28-29 2017

Started by Blindman, January 29, 2017, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blindman

Henry County Sportsmen's Association     
Liberty Center, OH
January 28, 2017

Instructor    Sign Up Rank    Current Rank    Promotion Status
little buddy      IIT      IIT 2     Not Submitted
Yankee      IIT      IIT 2     Not Submitted
Cadence      Instructor      Instructor     Not Submitted
Charley      Instructor      Instructor     Not Submitted
Maximum Ordinate      Instructor      Senior/RBC-IBC     Not Submitted
Ramblin' Wreck      Instructor      Senior/RBC-IBC     Not Submitted
Corvette      Instructor      Senior     Not Submitted
Blindman      Shoot Boss      Shoot Boss     Not Submitted

Shooter Totals
Saturday      7
Sunday        5
# Individuals 12

Riflemen  Requaified  12

Red Coats
     Shooters 100 Yard 200 Yard 300 Yard 400 Yard HS Cleared
Saturday AM
         7            7          6           4             4           4       2
Saturday PM
        6             6          6           4             2           6       2
Sunday AM
        5             5          3           2             0           1       0
Sunday PM
        5             5          4          4              3            2       1

Matters affecting attendance

Weather:          Winterseed conditions with light snowfall throughout, particularly on Sunday,   Temps' in hi 20's and low 30's. Perfect conditions

Fees:             yes, range fees were collected by Charlie. This did not effect attendance. We had a great group of motivated shooters.

Other:            Matt Gerald  - dear old friend (IIT-0) function as Right RSO during the event under myself and Rusty and functioned with high proficiency, in my opinion he may be signed off on this requirement

This was easily the most intimidating Appleseed I ever was a part of, two senior instructors and a state coordinator on the line, everyone signed up either an instructor in their own right, or a patched alumni, talk about stress. However, the group was exemplar, Student instructors were more than happy to step forward, taking line duties and allowing instructors some much needed trigger-time. Joe Forte, a revolutionary war reenactor gave a stirring oratory on the traumas of Valley forge and day 2 Rambling Wreck gave a recounting of the battle of Kings Mountain. A wonderful group of Appleseed alumni, mostly instructors chasing the elusive Winterseed patch, including out Alabama contingent. This shoot is, if nothing else, a testament to what a motivated, enthusiastic bunch of riflemen(and woman) can do - a 100% qualification rate is only dreamed of. Not to mention I got to watch Corvette, my state coordinator, clear a redcoat and came within one shot of doing so myself!
Rusty and Rambling Wreck both earned a 228, M. Doyle (Mutant Texan) a 211, Matthew Forte 216,  Joseph Forte 212,   Matt Gerald 218,   Cadence 227,  Charlie and Myself (Blindman) 216,  LittlBuddy 231, corvette 227 and Yankee closed out the weekend with a 214.

The Bad:          The cold, while necessary for the event, caused the necessity for coffee/coco breaks, but these were used effectively for instruction, thanks to Rusty (maximum Ordinate) for a great course on KD!

okay, my dear friends and fellow's. My novel has gone live.
"Freedom's Forge, striking the sparks of liberty (volume 1) is available
http://abbacsrealms.com/
part of the profits go to Appleseed!

Corvette

Wow, I only could make it for Sunday as I had family commitments on Saturday (son getting married in April and the BOSS needed me on Sat) but what a GREAT Winterseed.  It was soooo special for me for personal reasons (I cleared my first Red Coat in eight years of Seeding) and it was so great to see all the fantastic Ohio Instructors and some visitors from the south who came up to earn their Winterseed patches.

Blindman ran a great shoot and the skills at the event were OFF THE CHART.  I will not steal Blindman's thunder but it was a first for me.

So glad that I was there for at least one day.  What a great start to Ohio Appleseed 2017.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

goodoldfriend

I wish I had recorded Corvette's whoops of excitement when he found he had cleared that darned redcoat.
Congratulations sir, job well done.
Yankee, keep working on it, you will clear yours soon.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

wetsight

Short version: For a weekend I didn't expect to attend, I had a great time--I was able to shoot alongside my father and earn my Winterseed patch with a great group of shooters.

Long version: As a history teacher, I had a mountain of reading to complete for an upcoming conference on the Federalist Papers, and lesson plans for this week still needed my attention. My wife convinced me that I should leave the work and go shoot Winterseed with my father. She is proof that I've made at least a few good decisions in my life.

Equipment problems greeted me as soon as we hit the range Saturday. With my AR, I had magazine problems, bolt-over-base malfunctions, and problems with the scope fogging. Before I did something drastic like auction it off right then and there, I switched to a simple 10/22. I don't know if it was the ammo (CCI Standard Velocity) or a magazine, but again, I had three failure-to-fire malfunctions. I swapped out rifles again, going back to the AR, which immediately resulted in the same malfunctions.

By this time, I realized that my attitude was toxic and not only was I not having a good time, but I was making it difficult for the shooters around me to enjoy themselves. Convincing myself that that 50-round box of CCI contained a few duds, I zipped up the AR in its case, buckled down, and vowed to shoot a qualifying score with the 10/22, which I was able to do.

I should mention that it was cold--a large chunk of ice formed in my bottle of water, snow fell, and the wind blew all Saturday.

We headed home Saturday evening, not because we wanted to leave Winterseed, but because schoolwork called, and I want to stay as close to home as possible now that my wife is 34 weeks pregnant.

I want to apologize to the other shooters for my poor attitude and I hope I didn't ruin your weekend. I appreciate your willingness to help, to lend equipment, and your humble suggestions. I return to my American History classroom this week buoyed with the knowledge that there are like-minded Americans all over this great country who find our history relevant to 2017. I look forward to the next Appleseed. Maybe that's when I'll be able to join Corvette in clearing my first Redcoat.

Maximum Ordinate

This was a really fun and professionally well-run event.  My thanks to Blindman for hosting us and the crew at the Henry County Sportsmen's Association.  Little Buddy and Charley were awesome.  Great food and we had fun at dinner on Saturday night!

If you haven't been to the range at HCSA, it's a really nice place.  With a nice clubhouse, real bathrooms, and a manicured lawn - it's a welcome change from farmer's fields, chert pits, and portapotties!   ;D

I took a few pictures.  I wish I was able to take a few more, but I needed to get some trigger time in.   :---

It was cold Saturday and colder still Sunday, but the drive from Alabama was totally worth it!  I hope to work and shoot with y'all again soon!

Line drill and getting set up...

"This is a snowflake?  Really?  They look so different in person!"

Our fearless Shoot Boss running the line.

FDE tastes like chocolate!

Matthew in prep period.

A focused young Yankee.

Cadence rocking it out!

Get out of my Bubble!

Two Senior Instructors shared this square.  (Ahem... the top left shot was Wreck.  I called that shot for him.)

The cold is getting to your photographer, but not to 'Wreck.

Mom and son (Charley and Yankee) on the line together!

The Shoot Boss showing us how it's done. 

Strangers in a strange arctic land. 

SI Ramblin' Wreck presenting SB Blindman his Winterseed patch.

Huzzah Matthew! (not Matt, since Matt doesn't live here)

Huzzah Charley!

To all the shooters and instructors - Great job!!    O0

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

goodoldfriend

Quote from: wetsight on January 30, 2017, 09:23:38 AM
I want to apologize to the other shooters for my poor attitude and I hope I didn't ruin your weekend.
Wetsight, there is no need to apologize. I knew you were struggling as I have been there before. I cannot speak for others, but from the stories I have heard, all of us have been in the same position.

The one thing that you did, and this make me proud to be among your friends in Appleseed, is persevered in the face of the issues you had. For that sir, I send you the heartiest congratulations. You figured out what had to be done and you did it. Is that not one of the fundamentals of our heritage?

I missed your company on the line Sunday but I support your decision to return to your family and work duties as you accomplished your goal.

I am glad you are teaching young Americans history. I hope to see you at a future event.
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

PaRifle1777

I just wanted to thank all of you who made this past Saturday such an enjoyable and memorable time for me.  As Wetsight explained we were not able to return on Sunday, not because we didn't want to but there were other priorities.

Special THANKS to Blind Man for running such a great event.  From shooting instruction, to history, to running the line, you did an incredible job, especially when you factor in the cold.

Little Buddy, Thanks for the directions that kept us off the dirt, muddy road and for opening the clubhouse.

Charlie, Thanks for a delicious lunch on Saturday.  I know you said you didn't make it but you did arrange it and that counts.  Also, thanks for scoring, listening and smiling.  It's contagious!

Yankee,  Thanks for taking up the program, you are the future.

Good old friend: Thanks for being there Friday night and welcoming us.

Maximum Ordinate, Thank you for a wonderfully stirring and thought provoking lesson about freedom, responsibility and shooting.

Ramblin Wreck, Thank you for bringing a great attitude and good comments during the history discussions, especially about the US Constitution.

Cadence, Thank you for the help with shooting positions and general encouragement.  That sometimes is more important than technical advice.

Mutant Texan, Thanks for being there.  The engineering discussions were good.

Wet sight, Thanks for going, in spite of your work load.  The discussions in the truck were good father / son time. 

I know this may just look like a list to mention everyone, It is NOT.  Every person that was there made a positive contribution to a great event.

I hope we can do it again, maybe when it's warmer!

Joe (PaRifle1777)

goodoldfriend

If you have not already, please take a look at these two Winterseed AARs.

Laramie, Woming January 14-15, 2017 AAR

Beaver Falls, PA December 10-11, 2016 AAR

I wonder how much we would have been able to get out of the club house if we faced those conditions?

Maybe we will still have a cold weekend and I can try to get out and do some more testing. I think I will keep my car running and warm if I do...LOL.
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Ramblin' Wreck

I had a great time. The 1200+ mile round trip was made easier by having Maximum "lead foot" Ordinate driving 98% of the time.  **)

The hospitality was excellent (thank you Charlie and Little Buddy for the wonderful vittles) and I made new friends. I hope to see again soon. Y'all come see us. We'll try to arrange for warmer weather.

This is what most of us felt like trying to shoot during the winterseed.

The weather on Sunday

Yes, we drove over 1200 miles and wore all the warm clothes we owned to shoot in hopes of earning the only patch Appleseed awards for marksmanship that we didn't already have. Mission accomplished.

I can't feel my face!  ;D

Yankee, mom Charlie and shootboss Blindman.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Wreck

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Corvette

Joe sorry I missed you. I too had complications on sat and didn't get there till sun. Glad you both got your patches. I still need to get you the posters for the clubhouse forJuly.

Will be in touch.

Corcette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Mutant Texan

My wife is happy that this Appleseed is over.  She saw me working during all my available time off for the last few weeks just preparing for this shoot.  I have been preparing for it for weeks by using my wife's sewing power tool to hem my insulated coverall suit, make a loop sling enhancement to the suit, and make magazine holders out of webbing to attach to the suit (never attached them to the suit).  It worked out because I qualified twice with a 211 and 216.  This allows us to state that this clinic had a 100% success rate for the students & instructors in shooting a rifleman score to earn the blue patch.

Qualifying on Saturday allowed me to make Sunday a "fun" day by putting the Ruger 10/22 away and bring out the Mutant.  I failed to clear the red coat target sets with the Mutant rifle but came very close.  On one target I was only 2 shots away from making it.  I scored clean hits on the shingle in 3 of the sets.

I learned that reflex scopes are not as good as a good set of iron sights with a long sight radius.  The reflex sight is great for fast target acquisition but are horrible if you want to place precision hits.  I have a few ideas on how to maybe make this better but it will take a bit of time for me to test these ideas.  I will get back to this at a later date on the rifle forum.

I also learned that the coverall suit worked well for prone and standing but really restricts the ability to get in a good sitting position.  The suit was also a bit too warm for me on Saturday and I took it off later in the day.  I was wearing the same cold weather gear setup that had allowed me to shoot comfortably in single digit temperatures for many hours a few weekends ago.  I cut down on the layers on Sunday and used the suit all day with no over heating issues.

Thanks Littlebuddy.  You picked a good weekend for the Winterseed.  Thanks to the visitors from the south.  They brought some very old blue patches with them.  Apparently they have not had much luck in getting mother nature to cooperate with them for hosting a Winterseed event in Alabama.

I also wanted to give a shout out to Yankee (Charley & Littlebuddy's teenage son).  He showed us all what true grit is.  He was very close to hitting Rifleman all day on Saturday.  He even shot a 209 on one AQT.  His display of perseverance is a great example of what we all should aspire to be like.  He earned his Patch on Sunday and brought everyone in the group joy.
"Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills."

Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian, AD 37--101, on the Roman military

Cadence

What a great weekend to attend a Winterseed with fellow riflemen and riflewomen! The weather really cooperated to help us make this a Winterseed (previous weekend was in the high 50's and low 60's). Thanks to Little Buddy for choosing wisely.

We were doubly blessed to have Ramblin' Wreck and Maximum Ordinate invade from the South and persevere to get their patches. (The South shall rise again!) And when I say their patches, I mean the patches we handed out on Saturday all came from Georgia - Thanks Wreck & M.O. - it made this patch that much more special. I will have to add to my bucket list to attend a shoot down your way.

I was also good to see the rest of the Ohio contingent that drove to NW Ohio to attend. Hope to see you all at some shoot this year.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Charley

I will speak for Little Buddy, Yankee and myself....We had a GREAT time this past weekend. We definitely made new friends! Thanks everyone for traveling to attend! One of the range's founding members was tickled to see the range getting used. He was just in awe of how many people came out and how far some of you traveled! I let the "Lunch Lady" know how great the food was Saturday (she is a lunch lady at a local middle school too  ;)  ) She was just glad everyone enjoyed it. We already have boarder raiding in the works for this year. I've got my sights set on a LadySeed in May as well.

All of you made this weekend truly special for us. Given how cold it was, and everything else going on in everyday life, this weekend was over and done with before we knew it. I was sad it was over so fast (but glad to have gotten home early too ;) )

I have some pictures to upload that will hopefully upload so look for them...See you all on the trail!

goodoldfriend

Quote from: Blindman on January 29, 2017, 08:18:47 PM
Shooter Totals
Saturday      7
Sunday        5
# Individuals 12

Riflemen  Requaified  12

I think it is great that we had 12 individuals total and 12 who qualified at Winterseed Riflemen.

100%

It was just so nice to be part of this event.

Thanks everyone!
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Rev.357

Wetsight, at what level do you teach History? Overcoming cold induced malfunctions is what makes the blue patch great. What a great Winterseed. Hazzah-brrrrr.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

wetsight