News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Bald Knob, AR - Jan. 14-15, 2017

Started by sticksnstones, January 16, 2017, 10:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sticksnstones

A Rifleman always persists, was the theme of the weekend. Wet and cold was the weather theme.
We started with 4 registered shooters, a walkon and a former IIT that I asked to join us again. We started with 4 instructors and ended the weekend with a total of six.
Saturday was really wet and cold but we didn't let it get our spirits down or even slow our pace. A fire would have been nice. By afternoon we had a new rifleman, Fred and Nathan, the former IIT, showed that he had skills. They both shot excellent scores and proved themselves worthy of a patch and three huzzahs.
Saturday ended with me guessing that we would shrink in size by Sunday morning. Boy was I made wrong when not only did everyone show up but we added two instructors to the mix. Valkrye25 and Nathan the brand new orange hat ( sort of). Their skills and experience helped continue the flow.
After refreshing everyone's minds with the lessons from the day before we added a few more and jumped right into the AQT grind. Unfortunately at mid morning break, Wayne noticed he was having some vehicle issues and had to leave. I'm confident that he was nearing a Riflemans score. An open spot on the line allowed room for instructors the opportunity to prove their skills and set examples for the shooters. Back to that in a bit. Clay had been with us at 3 shoots and even once to Louisiana to try and get his patch. Last event we offered him a blue hat which he gladly accepted, but made it clear that he was not satisfied until he achieved the 210 or better. When I saw that he had signed up as an attendee at this event I told him that it wasn't necessary. His reply was that it was a worthy program and he hadn't got his patch yet. Well he did it and his joy was only topped by mine. Erik another shooter that was with us once, about this time last year, also earned his patch. With his love of history and his shooting skills had me offering him a hat also, but he asked that we put that on hold for a bit due to his extremely busy schedule. I will keep after him.
This leaves only two attendees that didn't shoot a Riflemans score. Wayne who was forced to leave early and Laura. Laura was a great student and soaked up the info like a sponge. She only attempted one AQT over the weekend and was more interested in practicing Her newfound skills. She was a joy to have around.
Lastly KPUC and Buddy Love proved to all that they have the skills of a Rifleman. Quincannon celebrated his birthday by affirming his Rifleman status by shooting 3 patch-worthy scores (a high of 242) with 3 different rifle setups, including a bolt action and open sights.
Couldn't have asked for a better weekend
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

More pics
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

More again
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

And more
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Last bunch
Thomas Paine

Quinncannon

A very fine weekend indeed! The shooters all displayed an excellent attitude, I was very proud of how they persevered through the inclement weather and soaked up the information and training like the rain falling upon them!

Congratulations to Clay, Fred, Erik on obtaining their Rifleman patches and to Buddy Love and Nathan for re-qualifying! Good on Laura for her good attitude as well!

As Nathan's Dad, I have to say I'm very proud of this young Army veteran and I'm glad he stepped up to reactivate as an IIT after being in the Army for three years.

Thanks Sticks for running a good shoot and for Edith and KPUC for pitching in and running the line! Nathan too!
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Clayk59

Had a great time despite the weather.  Glad I got the monkey off my back.  Testament to good instruction and a willing attitude to do it their way.  Thanks to all

Clay

KPUC

GREAT JOB to all the new shooters.  I think that was an outstanding percentage of new, and returning, Riflemen.  I hope to see you all at the next one.  Chris
216 at Bald Knob, AR on 1/17/16
A rifleman persists; it took me six Appleseeds, a number of equipment changes and a trip to the eye doctor to qualify.  Pumpkinseed is my only daughter.

Buddy Love

What an amazing bunch of shooters this weekend! They braved frigid rain with a can do attitude and quickly embraced the lessons being taught. Many of the instructors were hoping the temperature would drop about 10 more degrees so we could have an opportunity for some winter seed patches. Persistence and perseverance were the keys to success. Always a pleasure working with the staff at VETS Shooting Center and appreciate their support of the program. Our newest IIT Nathan quickly grabbed the reigns and did a great job on the line. Look forward to seeing everyone at the next event!

Check out the photos at https://www.dropbox.com/sc/z2lkzo5t4xt8nmz/AAB8ztl4ihePui2NVcdbxu_Ea

Rev.357

Great student to instructor ratio. Amazing rifleman percentage. Keep up the good work. If you are ever in Arkansas, and someone with a rifle says "git."  Then you better git.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.