News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP Talladega, AL - Dec 3rd, 2016 - Known Distance

Started by Maximum Ordinate, December 07, 2016, 07:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

It was early... overcast and chilly... but it was an Appleseed weekend!  The instructors met for breakfast at Waffle House.  It's a Tennessee Valley tradition down here!  Stories were swapped, lies tales of outstanding marksmanship prowess were told, hot greasy food and scalding coffee was consumed... and then this motley crew caravaned to the CMP Marksmanship Park in Talladega.  It was going to be a great day!

Fifteen Patriots and a half-dozen instructors met for the final Project Appleseed clinic in Alabama in 2016.  This day was unlike many of the other KD weekends - it was streamlined to one day: light on instruction and heavy on shooting!

We completed sighters to gather data and six AQTs.  Congratulations to the nine shooters who qualified or requalified!

Dan (47/50)
Dexter (40/50)
Google (47/50)
Garrett (45/50)
Jared (42/50)
Max Ordinate (4750)
Pete (New Rifleman! 45/50)
Ramblin' Wreck (50/50, four times)
Ross 43/45

A special mention about Pete who earned his Rifleman patch today!

We had three Appleseeders step up and ask for Orange Hats: Gary, Dan, and Pete!  Welcome to the program, gents!

Thanks to all who came out.  I hope to see y'all at our next KD - a Patriot's Day Celebration KD on April 15th!

in Liberty,
Maximum Ordinate

It's soooooooooo early!

Awarding Alabama state patches for visiting instructors

Jared getting his gold state patch for meritorious service

Gary's new hat!

Cokeguy not sure where this is going... (he was about to be promoted to dSB!)

Getting our mentor into the pic...

Traditional group photo at CMP Talladega!
... but feel free to add your own!!   :)

First group of KD qualifiers!

Small Arms Firing School instructor, Distinguished Rifleman, and guest instructor Don Rutherford talking to our class about the intricacies of reading wind

Dan accepting his Orange Hat

FOUR perfect KD scores for Ramblin' Wreck!

Pete accepting his Orange Hat!

You can find a bunch more pictures here
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

navybowhunter

Come on!

Ya'll should have got Don to take an Orange Hat!

Good stuff!  Really stoked that they (CMP) are supporting Appleseed!

R/
Chris

AH1Tom

It was my first KD but will certainly not be my last. It was a great day at an incredible facility. I had the pleasure of watching my son, Jared, qualify KD but also the disappointment of not qualifying myself. I still need to work on that focus, focus thing. I've heard somewhere a rifleman persists so I'll see you in Pelham.

Ramblin' Wreck

It was an EPIC day. Congratulations to the new KD Riflemen and thanks to those stepping up to join the instructor cadre.

Our last KD of the year in Pelham, TN on New Year's Eve is sold out with a waiting list. Hope to see all y'all on the line in April back in Talladega.

Merry Christmas,

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Mixed Metaphor

It was an awesome day!  There was a tremendous amount of experience on the line.  I learned so much!  A huge thank you to Cleveland for shadowing and mentoring me in the afternoon.  Each Appleseed I attend shows me how much more I need to learn and practice.  Persistence.
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

ChileRelleno

Since the ubiquitous SS109/M855 is banned at CMP,  what are the 5.56 people favoring now?
69gr SMKs?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: ChileRelleno on December 09, 2016, 01:49:52 PM
Since the ubiquitous SS109/M855 is banned at CMP,  what are the 5.56 people favoring now?
69gr SMKs?

While quality ammo can give you an edge, earning the KD rocker can be done with a rack grade rifle and surplus ball ammo.  For me, that means surplus Greek HXP or bulk Federal AE .223 from Wal-Mart

I'd hesitate to make a specific recommendation for your rifle, as what mine likes might not be the same as yours.  I'd get a box of 69 and 77 and experiment with your own barrel.  I know a day playing at the range would break your heart.   :))
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

Agrivere

69gr SMKs?

As a general rule, and there are exceptions of course, the 69's often group slightly better but the 77's buck the wind significantly better. As wind is a big factor, often the determining factor in hits much past 200 yards, it's extremely rare to find competitive across the course shooters using anything other than 75/77 grain ammo beyond 200 yards.

If you want to load your own all of the various 75/77 grain bullets are very good. Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Lapua, and Bergers are all commonly used, with the Bergers probably being the most popular as they are very consistent and high quality (though not the cheapest). If you're looking for factory ammo I suggest the factory 75 or 77 grain ammo from Creedmoor sports. It is excellent in quality and reasonably priced. Factory 77 grain ammo from Hornady and Black Hills is also excellent.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

Ramblin' Wreck

To demonstrate that Scott knows of which he speaks check out his 600 yard taget from the Talladega 600 EIC match earlier this week.

This is screen two of two. That's 19 in the 10 ring and one 9. Eleven of his 10 ring shots were X. 199/200 with 11X. For reference, the X ring at 600 yards is one MOA. Amazing shooting.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Agrivere on December 09, 2016, 05:23:44 PM
Quote from: Maximum Ordinate on December 09, 2016, 03:38:23 PM
69gr SMKs?

While quality ammo can give you an edge, earning the KD rocker can be done with a rack grade rifle and surplus ball ammo.  For me, that means surplus Greek HXP or bulk Federal AE .223 from Wal-Mart

I'd hesitate to make a specific recommendation for your rifle, as what mine likes might not be the same as yours.  I'd get a box of 69 and 77 and experiment with your own barrel.  I know a day playing at the range would break your heart.   :))

As a general rule, and there are exceptions of course, the 69's often group slightly better but the 77's buck the wind significantly better. As wind is a big factor, often the determining factor in hits much past 200 yards, it's extremely rare to find competitive across the course shooters using anything other than 75/77 grain ammo beyond 200 yards.

If you want to load your own all of the various 75/77 grain bullets are very good. Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Lapua, and Bergers are all commonly used, with the Bergers probably being the most popular as they are very consistent and high quality (though not the cheapest). If you're looking for factory ammo I suggest the factory 75 or 77 grain ammo from Creedmoor sports. It is excellent in quality and reasonably priced. Factory 77 grain ammo from Hornady and Black Hills is also excellent.
Thanks for the replies.
I was really just curious what the AR guys at the KD's are shooting since they can't shoot inexpensive 109/855 62gr.
At the KD back in May most of the AR guys had 62gr.

@ Agrivere,
thanks for the quick lesson on what the competition guys are shooting and why.
"Amazing Shooting" indeed, incredible accuracy.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

jmdavis

With the right twist, 69 will do everything a 55 and a 62 will do generally better.  And a 77 will too. There are people however who will shoot 52 match kings at 200.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Cleveland

I qualified with Wolf Gold 55 grain without any trouble.  As long as you follow the 6 steps to firing a shot, you won't have any trouble getting your KD rocker.  If you are going for a perfect score, then ammo becomes more of a factor.
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Roswell

Sorry, I'm late to the party...

Wow! What a day at the fabulous CMP Marksmanship Park. This is THE benchmark for shooting facilities as far as I am concerned.

I wanted to echo what Cleveland said. I too qualified my first time at the CMP with Federal 55Gr XM193

This time out I had changed my barrel specifically to accommodate the M855 and heavier ammo than I had been using. Not being able to use the M855 I decided to get some 62 gr that was as close as possible to it. This took me down an interesting road.

Enter: Winchester LE Training Ammunition 223 Remington 62 Grain Open Tip

This stuff is great. It was made as Law Enforcement Training ammunition. I'm sure everyone remembers when the .gov commissioned millions of hollow point rounds. Well, they ordered too much and this is the spill over. Again the stuff is bulk so not precision stuff. However, more than accurate enough to qualify with. Also reloadable and the brass is purple (which the ladies love) and easy to find in the grass

For reference here are some of my targets...

Stage 2 at 200 yds

Stage 3 at 300 yds

Stage 4 at 600 yds

Bonus:

Stage 2 video

The Motley crew   ;D

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

drifter52

According to Sierra their 77 gr Match King HPBT requires a twist rate of 1x8" or faster and their 69 gr Match King HPBT requires a twist rate of 1x10" or faster.  So if your barrel is a 1x9" twist 69 gr is the heaviest that will stabilize properly (according to this manufacturer for their bullets - YMMV)

IMI makes a 5.56 69 gr OTM round that shoots well from a 1x9 barrel and is relatively affordable for a factory "match" load.

Roswell

Quote from: drifter52 on December 13, 2016, 04:39:17 PM
According to Sierra their 77 gr Match King HPBT requires a twist rate of 1x8" or faster and their 69 gr Match King HPBT requires a twist rate of 1x10" or faster.  So if your barrel is a 1x9" twist 69 gr is the heaviest that will stabilize properly (according to this manufacturer for their bullets - YMMV)

IMI makes a 5.56 69 gr OTM round that shoots well from a 1x9 barrel and is relatively affordable for a factory "match" load.

Good info!

I think I misspoke. I was already switching barrels to save weight (from 20" to 16" and heavy to ultralight competition) and decided to change twists (1-9 to 1-7) for heavier projectiles like the 62 at the same time. I also went from 5.56 to .223 Wylde.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Agrivere

Quote from: drifter52 on December 13, 2016, 04:39:17 PM

Quite true, and I should have mentioned that. Sierra 77's are unlikely to stabilize properly in a 1:9 twist barrel, however the Hornady 75 usually will, so if you have a 1:9 twist the Hornady 75 is worth trying and if that won't go then the various 69's are a good choice.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

jmdavis

Quote from: Agrivere on December 13, 2016, 10:46:38 PM

Quite true, and I should have mentioned that. Sierra 77's are unlikely to stabilize properly in a 1:9 twist barrel, however the Hornady 75 usually will, so if you have a 1:9 twist the Hornady 75 is worth trying and if that won't go then the various 69's are a good choice.

That has been my experience with the 75. It is very accurate out of my 1/9 a Bushmaster from 1992. More so even than the 69.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Quinncannon

I shot the KD on 20 July 16, my rifle was a Rock River 1/8 and ammunition was 55 grain American Eagle. The ammunition did fine from 100 to 600 yards. Not the best for 600 certainly, but good enough!
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

jmdavis

Quote from: Quinncannon on December 27, 2016, 09:40:35 PM
I shot the KD on 20 July 16, my rifle was a Rock River 1/8 and ammunition was 55 grain American Eagle. The ammunition did fine from 100 to 600 yards. Not the best for 600 certainly, but good enough!

There are many factors that can limit the effectiveness of a rifleman. Usually the most limiting factor is mental. But equipment plays a role. Some questions. How wide is a D target? What does a D Target represent? How wide is an E target and what does it represent?

On Agrivere's best day at 600 he can shoot a 199 or 200, with the right ammo and a deliberate shooting style on the MR target. The 10 Ring on that target is 2 MOA wide. He is that good. But part of the reason he is that good is that he doesn't take things for granted. He knows that his rifle is accurate and ready to go, that his ammo is the best that he can buy or build and that he has a process that WORKS.

There is nothing wrong with shooting M193 or other commercial or milsurp ammo. Nothing wrong. But how well can it perform?

I recently tested my hand loads side by side with Black a Hills 77 grain Match at 200 and 600 yards. My hand loads cost $.27 cents with my existing brass, 77 gr Sierras, TAC powder and a Remington 7.5 primer. The Black Hills I was shooting currently sell for $49/50. The hand loads held 1 MOA shot prone with sling at 200, 300 and 600 yards on paper and at 385 and 500 on steel. The Black Hills was almost the same. Traditionally the best I can do at 500 was 2-3 MOA with 62 M855 at 200-500 and 2.5-4 MOA with M193.

An MR target has a bull that is 36 inches in diameter. That is 6 MOA. All of the bulls for Highpower range between 6.5 and 6 MOA. But where do you think the good shooters are trying to put their rounds? On the paper? In the black? Or in the 2 MOA 10 ring or the 1 MOA X ring?

Quinncannon

I was merely pointing out that the ammo was good enough for me, nothing else was implied.
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Quinncannon on January 01, 2017, 08:40:51 PM
I was merely pointing out that the ammo was good enough for me, nothing else was implied.

Thanks for your input, brother.  My signature line says it all.   O0
-Thomas Jefferson