News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mechanicsville, VA 3-4 Dec 2016, AAR

Started by JL, December 05, 2016, 06:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JL

We had a cool but beautiful weekend with 27 highly motivated Patriots on the line each day.  A big thank you needs to go out to our dedicated Instructors, IIT's and Blue Hats for making this weekend a success.

A long shoot line, short days, and restricted range times throttled us back a bit to just 5 AQT's, but the progress displayed across the board was impressive.  From beginner to experienced shooter, everyone showed  improvement on their marsmanship skills.  But even more importantly, we all learned some important lessons and gained an increased respect for the brave men and women who responded to the the alarm on April the 19th, 1175.

For our students' reference, your Redcoat scores as measured from the 100 to 400 yard target, then Morgan's shingle as we progressed through the weekend were as follows:
100 Yard:  10-10-5-4
200 Yard:  3-9-5-4
300 Yard:  1-2-2-4
400 Yard:  1-5-4-6
Shingle:    3-10-4-11

Sam led the weekend on AQT's repeating his impressive Rifleman performance with AQT scores of 238, 238, 241, and 243.
Ian, another repaet Rifleman, posted a strong showing with scores of 220 and 213.

And a special congratulations goes out to our two new Rifleman: Emily and Jonathan.  Both of whom not only shot their first  Rifleman score, but also cleared their Redcoat targets!

Thank you again to all those who made this weekend a success.  And a big Thank You to the Black Creek Gun Club for their continued support to Project Appleseed.

Looking forward to seeing you all the line again in 2017.  Pictures to follow.
"JL"

JL

Seems like you never notice your mistakes until you post the AAR.

Obviously it's 1775 not 1175!
We actually got in 6 AQT's; 2 on Sat and 4 on Sun
And I forgot to mention that on the final Redcoat, 3 Students cleared the target!

Huzzah!

JL

First of the pics, I'm sure Monkey will add more soon.

varganator10sq

As (a) first timer(s) my wife and I were unsure of what we were getting into. Weather was not great, but not unbearable, but every thing else was amazing! We feel much more confident and comfortable behind our rifles, we are very familiar with the basics of marksmanship, and while our scores, did not reflect it, we improved markedly from the first shot to the end of the weekend.

We were painfully unaware of the history surrounding that historic day, but now both of us have had our curiosity peaked, and even talked about visiting the sites, since we are both interested in that sort of thing. I am sure our visit will not be as exciting as the one related in our classes, but to be there and see these sites is one of the great advantages we have as citizens on the east coast. History Surrounds us, and so few people take advantage of the opportunity to see it all around you.

I feel safe in speaking for both of us in saying we look forward to attending our next event and have even started talking about bringing our nephew to one this summer. At least he will be ensured to get a patch, and I will be practicing a lot to try to make sure he isn't the only one who does.

Monkey

This weekend was, arguably, one of the best events that my family and I worked. 

The progress that all of the students made over the weekend make the time and effort more than worthwhile.  I was really stoked to see so many families (incl. spouses and children) on the line!
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

peeksights

Many, many thanks to all of the great instructors that took a weekend to teach me and my fellow students some useful skills and interesting history. I especially enjoyed hearing The Wolfhound's story of meeting Isaac Davis! My skills improved, but more importantly I now know what to practice. I thought that maybe modern politics might have intruded a bit too much, but I guess that's unavoidable these days.

Regardless, you will see me again! Hopefully with a friend in tow. Until then, you can find me practicing my reloads so I'm not fumbling around and can finish stage 2 in the allotted time.

Thanks for all the time and effort, this is a great program!

Monkey

After an unreasonably long delay, some more pictures from the event.

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Monkey

Will add more pictures when the forum decides to treat me reasonably again.

Meanwhile, for those on social media, pictures may be found on FB here.

― Hyman G. Rickover