News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pensacola, Florida 3 December 2016

Started by Engineer shooting, December 05, 2016, 12:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

Saturday 18 shooters on the line the line and what a variety! Lever actions, tube feed rifles from the 1920's, etc. Ages from 9 to 70+ With an Instructor ratio 2 students per Instructor things ran well the first day.

Then came Sunday, rain fall was 2 inches in two hours in Pensacola. Only 6 shooters, returned with lightning strikes in the area the shoot was on pause for hours. Those hardly souls that returned shot in the lighter periods of rain after the lightning had cleared the area.  Huzzah to those hardy souls.
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

gunjunkie

What a weekend, the weather gave us all it had yet we were undeterred. The variety of rifles on the line was something. I have never seen so many types on the line at one time. The shooters showed a great deal of improvement on day one. Those that returned on Sunday truly were hardy souls as the weather was really nasty.

Congratulation to all the shooters on their progress, I look forward to February and seeing you all again.       
Be aware of yourself and everything around you.

Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom! Thomas Jefferson

We shall pass this way on earth but once, if there is a kindness we can show, or act we can do, let us do it now,for we will never pass this way again.
Stephen Grellet

ChileRelleno

It was a most interesting weekend, from the diverse group that made up Saturday's shooters/rifles to the downpours and lightning strikes of Sunday morning.
The perseverance shown on Sunday was notable due to the weather conditions, I believed we cleaned the local WalMart out of FroggToggs rain gear.
Indeed there was substantial and wide spread improvement on Saturday, and watched at least one shooter fall just shy of a RM score repeatedly.  Nice to know that he is already scheduled for another Seed.

Quite an eye opening experience for a noob IIT greener than July corn.

My 11yr'ol son, Nathaniel, was in attendance, with this being his second Seed.
He has a good ways to go before he earns his first RM, but it'll come, need to better fit a rifle to him.
The SB sent him off with a Young Patriot Patch for his efforts.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

AdobeWalls

We didn't just sit around, waiting, watching the rain fall. Heck half the time it was driven sideways, so Shoot Boss Ken Tomblin broke out the laser trainer rifle under the benchrest canopy, set up a squares target at the far end, and offered NPOA coaching in the several positions. Talk about making good use of the time! And it showed in the mounting skill of the shooters on AQT after AQT, despite pretty adverse conditions - guess what, more heavy rain. The laser trainer rifle is one of the best dry fire tools in Appleseed. A bunch of shooters learned there is such a thing as NPOA in the Standing Offhand position.
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

AdobeWalls

Drat, I didn't take a photo of the streams of water coursing down the covered space under the canopy. More photos, from Sunday, when the determined shooters returned for more, rain or not.

I try to capture photos of shooters on the line during actual courses of fire, so they get some objective feedback about their position and steady hold factors.
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

Pyrate_Steel

Had a great weekend, even if I didn't make rifleman this time. Ran into a few equipment issues, as well as finding out what not to bring next time. Yes there will be a next time, and we'll get my dad behind a trigger as well. I will be looking at different slings, as well as having my AR zeroed BEFORE I get there. I appreciate the flexibility on Sunday, and the laser trainer was very helpful.

I honestly loved the history aspect as much as the shooting. It's a shame what they don't teach in school these days.

Thanks everyone for an excellent weekend and I look forward to giving it another shot in a few months.
"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought"
― Samuel Adams

Snuffy

It was a great weekend.  Thank you for the excellent instruction and professional development. 

Looking forward to my next event!

Steve,

Call Sign, "Snuffy"
USMC (ret)

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Pyrate_Steel on December 06, 2016, 07:51:29 PM
Had a great weekend, even if I didn't make rifleman this time. Ran into a few equipment issues, as well as finding out what not to bring next time. Yes there will be a next time, and we'll get my dad behind a trigger as well. I will be looking at different slings, as well as having my AR zeroed BEFORE I get there. I appreciate the flexibility on Sunday, and the laser trainer was very helpful.

I honestly loved the history aspect as much as the shooting. It's a shame what they don't teach in school these days.

Thanks everyone for an excellent weekend and I look forward to giving it another shot in a few months.
Great to hear you had a great shoot,
you will make Rifleman if you 'Persist' with practicing the Positions and their Steady Hold Factors, the Six Steps to Firing a Shot and finding/maintaining your NPOA.
Buy a pack of snap caps and practice regularly.

Heck yeah, bring your Dad, and anyone else you can.

You cannot go wrong with either the standard USGI web sling or a USGI 1907 leather sling.
They're simply the best sling setups for marksmanship.
Either of those combined with quick release 1-1/4" sling swivels will allow you to keep the sling adjusted and on your bicep, easy on/off. Just need a sling stud on your AR's forearm and you're GtG.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Snuffy on December 07, 2016, 09:48:45 AM
It was a great weekend.  Thank you for the excellent instruction and professional development. 

Looking forward to my next event!

Steve,

Call Sign, "Snuffy"
USMC (ret)
You and I both, maybe with less rain/lightning though.
Ragnar Benson:

JustKim

What a great weekend, as always.  A weekend shooting is a great weekend -- rain or shine.  I actually really enjoy shooting in the rain.  I went back to work on Monday and bragged to all my co-workers that while they were cooped up inside while it rained - we were out shooting - yes - in the rain -- what fun!  Great shooting, great history, great camaraderie!!!  Looking forward to next weekend in Tallahassee!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Engineer shooting

Quote from: JustKim on December 10, 2016, 11:40:24 AM
What a great weekend, as always.  A weekend shooting is a great weekend -- rain or shine.  I actually really enjoy shooting in the rain.  I went back to work on Monday and bragged to all my co-workers that while they were cooped up inside while it rained - we were out shooting - yes - in the rain -- what fun!  Great shooting, great history, great camaraderie!!!  Looking forward to next weekend in Tallahassee!

Did you also tell your co-workers you were the high scorer?  Shoot like a girl,if you can.
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther