News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD in Palm Bay

Started by malabar, December 05, 2016, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guntuckian

The paper target shooters will see is attached.  The electronic target is planned to match the paper target, visible on a web browser page, on your smart phone or whatever you are using that is logged into the local web page via WiFi.

Silver Mountain is doing the necessary conversions.

The PDF file of the target was made by repairing a PHenry target saved from the previous KD held here, scanning it electronically, then cleaning up the scanned image in Photo Shop.  Paper targets are simply printed on a large format printer from the PDF file at the local FedEx Kinko's store.

The recurring cost for printing paper KD targets runs anywhere from just under $5 each to a little over $6 each, depending on whether discount coupons are used.

Lots of behind the scenes activity to make this all come together.

-- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Guntuckian

Previously, BSZ come-ups were not allowed on this range. So, I went out and demonstrated to the Rifle Director by shooting at 200 and 300 yards that BSZ would work fine with an M4-gery with a 16 inch barrel.  I also demonstrated that shots 5, 6, 10, and 12 could be placed on the edge of the silhouette despite winds variable from about 2 mph to 15 mph by reading wind flags and adjusting POA to "box the silhouette".  All done prone, with a sling, no bipod.  With a 7mm Remington Magnum bolt gun on a bipod to my right. 

The shots are recorded on a shot by shot basis, with chronograph data collected for each shot.

As I said, lots of behind the scenes activity to make this KD happen.

-- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

TheMenace

Wreck: You'll be aiming at a D target. Assuming the electronics are working correctly you will see your hits on the tablet. If not...we'll need to send people to the pits to pull and mark targets. In that situation we'll shoot in relays. If you have a spotting scope bring it so you can see your target after it is scored. There should be very little walking involved. We will score all hits in the black. 32 out of 40 for 80% passing score.

See comments above about personal scoring device. Everyone will need to include a tablet or laptop with WiFi in their kit. A smart phone will work but the screens are small.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Minutemom

You bet your patootie I'd be interested!!  Thing is, I'm doing Appleseed shoots almost every weekend starting after Easter until the end of June.  Only free weekends are May 13-14 and 27-28.  I signed up for the KD in Tallahassee the weekend of May 20-21, so I don't feel so deprived.  After reading PHenry's post above, maybe it's better that I get a little experience with my squeeky new CF rifle before trying a KD at this range  ;)

Quote from: 9mm4545 on March 30, 2017, 12:07:00 AM
MinuteMom, would you be interested if we could arrange an instructors-only KD weekend in Silver Springs? I believe we could get the Gwin Farm for shooting out to 400 yards, possibly more. Smoakingun knows the owners and we have been welcomed there in the past. Camping is possible or there are hotels not too far away. But, it would need to happen before the beastly hot weather sets in for the summer. Ideas?
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

Minutemom

I already signed up for the Tallahassee shoot that same weekend!  I will make it down to Myakka one of these days!

Quote from: stoneknives on March 30, 2017, 04:47:40 PM
Quote from: Minutemom on March 29, 2017, 11:07:11 PM
Haha, so I guess it's our fault we scheduled the Gville AS on the same weekend!  Well, some day I will get there!

You have another KD opportunity on the 20/21st of May down I-75 at Myakka City Fl , at the Manatee Gun and Archery. We will be shooting on the 600 bench rest range.
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

TheMenace

The Known Distance clinic at PMRPC in Palm Bay is just a little more than a month away. The illustrious PHenry will Shoot Boss this event. You won't want to miss it. Everyone that signs up to shoot or instruct will get into the action.

We have space for tents and TT campers on site for $5.00 per night.

PM me if you need details about location, access, camping, etc.

Dennis
321-427-6959
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

Cable___Guy

Dennis ,
If I bring my Hammock instead of a tent , will I be able to hang it ?
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

TheMenace

HI Todd,
Yes we lots of pine trees. You should be able to work out a co-tenant arrangement with Big Chris. and the Master Chief.
;)
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

B.C.

As much as I enjoy camping, I enjoy a hotel room more.  >:D
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

PHenry

To all who plan to attend this event - shooters and instructors:

This venue offers some special challenges, owing to its proximity to housing beyond the berm. The last event I ran here was painfully slow, allowing only a single FD AQT over two days. Many who attended were less than pleased and I take full responsibility, even if many of the obstacles that slowed us up were beyond my control. I will attempt to eliminate as many as possible by employing a system that I witnessed at the KD portion of a RBC run by RamblinWreck who will be serving with us at this event.

We were on a private airstrip in AL and the owner didn't want vehicle ruts in his airstrip so we had to "pack it in / pack it out". There was a class the evening before by Maximum Ordnance on how to pack a backpack. This is not a "Ruck", but a simple, frame-less pack into which we placed only what we needed. I will start a list of potentials and feel free to chime in with any items you think are essential.

Pack light - no really, like backpack

Data book
Blue tape for buttstock DOPE
Marker
Food
Water
Sunscreen
Hat
Microfiber long sleeve shirt
ammo
mags
sweat towel

All who intend to shoot should verify their 25M zero and 4MOA grouping or risk being DQ'd. This venue cannot have a round over the berm or into the target frames - period. We will shoot some squares at 25M to verify and classify each shooter for max allowable distance. We will also shoot a 25M stage one sil to show proficiency off-hand in front of the club's rifle director. All rounds in standing must impact the target, preferably in the 4 & 5 rings, to be able to shoot stage one at 100 yards. There is no way to shoot prone at 100 at this venue for zero adjust so we will simply add the standard "come ups" taught in the Sat AM class (actually come downs).

If we all pack light and shoulder our rifles, we can walk from one firing line to the next with minimal down time. I will condense the Sat AM class slightly to get us on the range the minute it is ready for us and get targets set up, then we will shoot the KD AQT from 100 to 400, with SOME sighters at 200, 300, & 400 yards. After that we will run backwards from 400 to 100 yards with NO sighters to see if you really did record your rifle's "DOPE" as instructed. We will use the "Hits Count" scoring system, by firing 50 rounds total (20 at 400) and it takes 40 in the black to make score - pass of fail.

If anyone has a physical limitation for packing in / out, we will make adjustments to ferry them forth and back. I would very much like to make this event a success and of value to all. It's going to take moving with a purpose to get more than a single FD AQT in, but if we do it right, we should be able to get in at least two, plus some time on the 600 yard line for thems who qualify to do so. They have an electronic scoring system that is pretty slick and will give a chance at getting accurate DOPE on your rifle.

Be sure to bring enough ammo of same make, model and lot #. Do NOT swap forth and back from one ammo to another or you'll lose valuable info and run into problems. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Also, please alert anyone who needs to see this post.

In Liberty,
PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Maximum Ordinate

The biggest thing I see folks overpack is tools, food, and ammo during a "walking" AQT.  How many PowerBars do you need?   ;D

My interpretation of Phenry's guidance tells me to pack for the long range, at most:

3 sighters (max) at 200, 300, 400.  90 rounds
2 AQTs, less stage 1.  80 rounds

170 rounds on stripper clips, carry an extra spoon!  Not much weight to carry.  Police brass as we go, if line boss & range rules allow.

We can never have too much water.  If range conditions permit us to run a support vehicle, I'd recommend packing coolers full of water there, plus a garbage bag to collect empties and refuse so we'll be welcome back.

So... for the weekends ammo:

Day 1
Sighters (4) / Stage 1 (2):  40 rounds
3 sighters (max) at 200, 300, 400.  90 rounds
2 AQTs, less stage 1.  80 rounds

Day 2   (your sighters are complete and you wrote down your data)
Stage 1 (2):  20 rounds
Stages 2/3/4 (2):  80 rounds

Total ammo requirement:  310 rounds, preferably on stripper clips.

in Liberty,
Maximum Ordnance (which is 310 round)   **)

-MO
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

TheMenace

The Rifle Director will accompany us with his pickup truck containing the portable wifi for the e-targets. We can stage a cooler of water, trash bag and First Aid kit in his truck. There is a flush toilet in the Pits and a porta-john at 600 yard firing line.

Add to your kit a personal electronic device and spare battery for the e-target viewing.

Eye and ear protection are required.

For those who are not a PMRPC member:
If you plan to arrive Friday and want to tour the Range send me a message and call me upon arrival.
We will start at 8:00 am Saturday. Please arrive at the gate at 7:30. I will arrange to have someone there to let you in. The gate attendant doesn't show up until 8:00. We are beginning in Action Area Bay 2.

I suggest we meet at Sonny's BBQ on Malabar Road for dinner Saturday about 6:30. I will arrange a table for the number of folks registered for the event. Please let me know if you will have unregistered guests.

More administrative notes to follow as required.

Dennis
321-427-6959
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

Ramblin' Wreck

What's the shooting surface at the firing line(s)? Do we need to bother with a mat?

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

PHenry

all grass from 100 - 500, unless raining and then it could be called "aquatic" in certain areas. 600 yard line is concrete.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Ramblin' Wreck

Like the Labor Day event in 2011 when you and ItsanSKS came to Manchester, TN and it rained sideways till the target backers melted off the frames.  ;D

I'll bring the mat.

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

PHenry

Oh I will never forget that one. Had an abscessed tooth from previous event in GA and figured if I could get through Sat night and all day Sunday, could get medical care on Monday. Well, that Monday was a holiday - nothing open other than ER and $15,000.00 is a lot to pay for a toothache - no matter how bad. By the Grace of God, TNColonel's daughter knew a dentist who called in a script for me.

I mostly sat in my truck moaning whilst the rest got soaked, but toughed it out to shoot KD on a cold, wet, miserable day on a beautiful military range.  :~

TheMenace

Wreck: Yes, the mat is advisable. The "grass" is pretty sandy and sparse. Also, some red/fire ants. Sorry. No red clay to make you feel at home.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

rscottb

TheMenace

Sorry. That event has passed. Last month.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land