News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD in Palm Bay

Started by malabar, December 05, 2016, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malabar

Folks,

we're putting the finishing touches on a KD shoot at Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club in Palm Bay for April 29 & 30, 2017.  This shoot will be conducted on the only registered 600-yard range in the Florida, and will use the new electronic targeting system (Silver Mountain is developing a D-target for us).

Mark your calendars, we expect it to fill up quickly one posted.

tk   
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

PHenry

It's a beautiful range and where PHenry first shot past 200M - ever. It was my first NRA HP comp in 2007, but after I had attended a single AS event - the only reason I was able to make hits at 600 yards. This a real range with a "Target Pit" - the best kind. You can stand at the target line while the line is hot and hear the projo strike the berm. "Thump".. "crak".."poof" - something to experience for sure. 
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Engineer shooting

Quote from: malabar on December 05, 2016, 09:39:47 AM
Folks,

we're putting the finishing touches on a KD shoot at Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club in Palm Bay for April 29 & 30, 2017.  This shoot will be conducted on the only registered 600-yard range in the Florida, and will use the new electronic targeting system (Silver Mountain is developing a D-target for us).

Mark your calendars, we expect it to fill up quickly one posted.

tk   

Tk

Please tell more about new electronic targeting system.   ..:..

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Cable___Guy

If the Baby gets here on time and I am allowed out of the house , I will be there.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

TheMenace

Still shoot at paper targets to have an aiming point. Silver Mountain is working with us to create the full size D target display. Hits are sonically measured by microphones at the target backer corners. Point of aim and point of impact are calibrated to coincide. Each shooter must provide a personal electronic device such as a smart phone, tablet or Kindle to view the display. Spotting scope only needed if the system goes down and pits are manned to mark targets. See screen shot of a sample display below.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

PHenry

I believe this to be the same system the CMP has at the range where Rusty and Ben had an event - slicker'n snake boggers it is.

Bad news - I have agreed to run this one. Just wanted to offer fair warning. Working out details with Malabar now - will post upon completion.

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Agrivere

The CMP uses a different electronic target system, from Kongsberg Target Systems out of Norway. The KTS targets have an advantage in that they can detect subsonic rounds but other than that you should not notice any significant differences.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

TheMenace

This is a different system than CMP at Talladega. The best part is we will shoot at 100, 200, 300 and 400. CMP requires a work-around for distance.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

malabar

Folks,

Just got the final OK.

As PHenry said, this is the same system that the NRA is using for their matches.  You shoot at the big D-target down range, and a little tablet in front of you displays exactly where your round struck.   Silver Mountain is creating the software to display the Appleseed D-Target (which will be made available to anyone who wants to use it).

There will be a range fee (which I have no control over). PMRPC has the only 600-yard competition range in Florida, and all of the state matches are shot here -- along with the Orange Blossom Regional, a three-week match that draws  hundreds of shooters from North and South America (and occasionally Europe).

Camping is available on site, local hotels offer a discount if you tell them you're in town to shoot at PMRPC.  There's great fried chicken about seven minutes from the front gate, and decent pizza about 10 minutes away.  Homemade ice-cream is 15 minutes away, and one of the best (and more expensive) restaurants in the state is a 25-minute drive.

Lots of Appleseeders in the area, so they might accommodate you.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

TheMenace

Great news Tom. In addition to the customary equipment, each shooter will require a personal electronic device (PED) as part of their kit. A smart phone will work, although the screen is pretty hard to read. A 7 or 10 inch tablet such as an iPad, Kindle or the like works best. Make sure you have enough battery to run the display for the day. I have a 7000 mAh and a 10,000 mAh battery pack that plugs into the USB port on mine. Lots of reserve there. No special software is required--just your browser and wifi. We connect to the Silver Mountain server through the High Power Range wifi.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

PHenry

I presume a laptop with built in WiFi would also work so long as the power requirements are addressed.

Cable___Guy

When is this expected to Hit TIPS ?
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

TheMenace

PHenry,
Absolutely! There may be a trade off for display size and power drain. Larger screens can improve viewing area and image size for those of us with vision impairment. Being one of those, I can say the Kindle Fire has a screen that is adequate, is cost effective, and reasonably power efficient. I still have an auxiliary battery pack to extend the viewing time. The WI-FI is active full time and drains the battery. You view your sighter shots and may want to view the target during your own string and while scoring or observing another relay. So the screen is on most of the day. Visibility in sunlight is another issue. Placing your device in a small hard sided pistol case in the open clam shell configuration, held in place by small bungees, works well. It keeps it at an angle to aid viewing. There's even space behind for the extra battery.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

stoneknives

Quote from: TheMenace on December 20, 2016, 11:37:59 AM
PHenry,
Absolutely! There may be a trade off for display size and power drain. Larger screens can improve viewing area and image size for those of us with vision impairment. Being one of those, I can say the Kindle Fire has a screen that is adequate, is cost effective, and reasonably power efficient. I still have an auxiliary battery pack to extend the viewing time. The WI-FI is active full time and drains the battery. You view your sighter shots and may want to view the target during your own string and while scoring or observing another relay. So the screen is on most of the day. Visibility in sunlight is another issue. Placing your device in a small hard sided pistol case in the open clam shell configuration, held in place by small bungees, works well. It keeps it at an angle to aid viewing. There's even space behind for the extra battery.

Agree the Kindle has the power and reasonable battery life at 40$a bargain. ( a quick recharge in the truck at lunch or a cheap add on battery should get you all day)

But will the app run on a regular (non jail-braked) Kindle?
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

TheMenace

It's not an app. You are connecting to the server using your wifi. So, any device that is wifi capable and has a browser (Silk, Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc.) will work. Hope this helps explain how easy it is.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

stoneknives

Quote from: TheMenace on January 01, 2017, 08:49:15 AM
It's not an app. You are connecting to the server using your wifi. So, any device that is wifi capable and has a browser (Silk, Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc.) will work. Hope this helps explain how easy it is.

O0
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

Ramblin' Wreck

When will this shoot be on the schedule?

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

malabar

Quote from: PHenry on December 20, 2016, 09:41:09 AM
I presume a laptop with built in WiFi would also work so long as the power requirements are addressed.

Yep. I can sit at my home with my laptop and watch them scoring on the high-power range.

tk

malabar

Here's the official link to sign up for the shoot...

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/31422440365

It's not listed as a public link, the shoot is only for instructors -- and riflemen that PHenry will approve.

tk

TheMenace

The Known Distance clinic at PMRPC in Palm Bay is just a little more than a month away. The illustrious PHenry has agreed to Shoot Boss this event. You won't want to miss it (unless you are one of the dedicated individuals putting on the As that weekend in Gainesville). Are you attending?

PM me if you need details about location, access, camping, etc.
Dennis
321-427-6959
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

Minutemom

I am one of the dedicated individuals putting on the AS in Gainesville that weekend, wah!  :'(
Who scheduled this on the same weekend  >:D
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

TheMenace

It's a disappointment for several folks.  Late last year when we started to work the request with the Range there were no conflicts. We have a limited number of opportunities to gain access to the 600 yard high power range. Any month in which there is a fifth full weekend there will not normally be anything on the schedule except berm and target maintenance. We may request to be added to the schedule on a NIB to that maintenance. Our request for April was approved by the club's Board. 
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

2wheelDuke

I really wish I didn't already have plans for that weekend. 

Minutemom

Haha, so I guess it's our fault we scheduled the Gville AS on the same weekend!  Well, some day I will get there!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

9mm4545

MinuteMom, would you be interested if we could arrange an instructors-only KD weekend in Silver Springs? I believe we could get the Gwin Farm for shooting out to 400 yards, possibly more. Smoakingun knows the owners and we have been welcomed there in the past. Camping is possible or there are hotels not too far away. But, it would need to happen before the beastly hot weather sets in for the summer. Ideas?

B.C.

I'm interested in making a KD happen at the Gwin farm! The sooner the better........count me in 100%
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

B.C.

Here is a 5 second study guide for KD assuming you have 223 / 556 / 308 with standard 2.5" site over bore mounting and a 25 zero: 
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

PHenry

QuoteIt's not listed as a public link, the shoot is only for instructors -- and riflemen that PHenry will approve.

This range is the real deal - a military-type 600 range. However, over time, it has also got penned in a bit by residential housing about 2K yards behind the main berm. One bullet runs astray and the range could be lost forever. That is of course, not an option. As such, anyone who wishes to shoot will be required to place five rounds inside or touching a 1" square at 25M and we will not tarry there to get more time on the long range. All rifles WILL be charged only with their muzzles pointed at the berm - zero exceptions.

The last event I ran there was a tad stressful for all. Hopefully we can get this one to run a bit smoother. I think with the new scoring system, combined with strict vetting of the shooters - we should be golden.

You can shoot any center fire rifle, but if you mean to make score on the FD AQT - bring something mag fed and semi-auto, unless of course you are weak of character and seeking adversity to improve same.  ^-^

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm looking forward to the shoot and spending time with fellow patriots. Having been spoiled by the e-targets at CMP Talladega will we be shooting our AS D repair center targets or CMP-like round ones? I see the picture below but if it's like TD the image on the screen is computer generated after you've shot at a black hole at every distance. I know you see the shots on a smart device but I'm not clear on what the target is. Hits count or counting rings? Checking to see how much walking is involved. I'm almost recovered from a ruptured achilles' tendon I "earned" on 4/20/16 at a KD in Talladega.  ;D

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

stoneknives

Quote from: Minutemom on March 29, 2017, 11:07:11 PM
Haha, so I guess it's our fault we scheduled the Gville AS on the same weekend!  Well, some day I will get there!

You have another KD opportunity on the 20/21st of May down I-75 at Myakka City Fl , at the Manatee Gun and Archery. We will be shooting on the 600 bench rest range.