News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Georgia Gun Club Buford, Georgia Nov. 19-20

Started by DrJohn, November 21, 2016, 09:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Georgia Gun Club in Buford, Georgia hosted an Appleseed event that was, in the words of an Appleseed instructor, "epic". The event was sold out, although several students had to cancel at the last moment. As usual, we began with a Safety Briefing, Safe Rifle, Ammunition Malfunctions, and so on, and then began our shooting instruction. Our morning Redcoat showed we had much work to do, and our gallant students settled down to business with great will and determination. We covered the tripod of rifle marksmanship first (Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors in prone, the Six Steps, and Natural Point of Aim) taking pains first to determine eye dominance and a reasonable amount of time to attend to proper sling use and proper fit of rifles. Our groups began to shrink. And shrink more and more. After the standard modules of Rifleman's Cadence, Talking Targets, Inches-Minutes-Clicks, and Carding Sights, we retired to the classroom for a working lunch and heard a stirring rendition of the first two parts of the Story of April 19, 1775. And I must say that we were all astonished to have Dr. Samuel Prescott himself come out and give a first-hand account of the Second Strike, along with a spirited rendition of "The White Cockade".

After lunch we studied the Sitting-Kneeling Position(s), and briefly taught, but did not practice Transitions, due to safety concerns of a very slick concrete floor that had nearly caused a bad slip at an earlier event.  During our afternoon break, we heard the final part of the Story of April 19, 1775. Lastly we taught Standing before we shot our only AQT target of the day. The students left feeling tired but full of confidence and enthusiasm.

Sunday we reviewed the material from the previous day and then got down to business, shooting AQT targets. We interspersed various review modules among the AQT targets so as to prevent undue fatigue. At lunch we heard various vignettes of Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children then a very thought provoking discussion of Liberty and what it was that induced our honored forebears to fight with such courage and determination. More AQT targets after lunch, and during our afternoon break, the fundamentals of shooting at Actual Distance. The final Redcoat target showed that our students had learned well. Very well, as confirmed by the smiles of appreciation and recognition of honest and significant achievement.

Trevor, after you had finally let the wind fill your sails, it was beautiful to see you get in the zone and knock out a most respectable score of 237. Well done! Theresa, after you had recognized loose sights as the source of your problem and used an instructor's rifle instead, you showed what you can do under proper conditions. And you will ultimately be giving Trevor some stiff competition in the AQT score department.

Jon, I was so pleased you could join us again Sunday after taking care of other responsibilities, and that you had the insight and determination to analyze the areas you needed to work on and devote yourself to them with gratifying persistence. Debbie, the expressions of joy and exuberance after you were able to use your .223 and iron sights to go from large groups to beautiful little 1" groups at 25 meters, were simply priceless. Noah and Robert, you were such a pleasure to instruct, what with your good humor, persistence, and ability to process and incorporate so much new information.

Tim, that left-handed bolt CZ you used with such finesse had almost as much class as you. I was so happy to watch your progress. David, it is so pleasing to see a young person who has the integrity proudly to support his beliefs whether popular or not. And to settle down to business at his very first Appleseed, with little to no prior formal instruction, and shoot a very respectable 214! on Sunday. Congratulations, Rifleman, and keep up the good work. Joseph, this was your second Appleseed but we could all see the quiet determination in your eye, and we were so pleased to have you qualify Rifleman with a score of 210! Congratulations, and especial thanks for the precious email you sent me later. Howie, this was your first Appleseed and we were sorry you were forced to withdraw because of rifle malfunction. And we hope you will be able to join us again. Daniel, you are a courageous ad humble person, and were a fine shot before you ever got to Appleseed, but we were all so pleased to see you qualify Rifleman with a score of 226. Congratulations and keep up the good work. Daimeng, we were sorry you couldn't join us on Sunday, but you are an outstanding student and show promise of becoming a fine shooter. Please do come back again. Bill, this was your fifth or sixth event, and you are so very, very close to scoring Rifleman. Your optimism, cheerfulness, and determination are inspirational.

To all, thank you for a safe, productive, and very, very pleasant event. And may Liberty increase forever!

"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Roswell

Thank you to the Georgia Gun Club and to all the shooters that showed up to make this such an amazing event!

SATURDAY:

Our Shoot Boss DrJohn kicked things off for us

After the meet and greet followed by the safety briefing, it was off to the range and the firehose of instruction was opened up! (Akela shown going over Line Commands and below that DrJohn and TJ8 instructing us in the prone position)

DrJohn presenting the 3rd Strike

Back to the range for an AQT!

TJ8 delivering a very thoughtful and powerful benediction

Congratulations to Joseph on his 210!

SUNDAY:

Sunday we got through all the review fairly quickly and that left a lot of time to squeeze some triggers.   :---

We were rewarded with 2 more Riflemen and a requalification.  Huzzah!

Congratulations to David on a 214!

Congratulations to Daniel on his 226! 

Congratulations to Trevor/Canbrit on his 237!

I hope to see you all again soon! To those that didn't make Riflemen this time, I encourage you to persist and to dry fire. Remember perfect practice makes perfect!

In Liberty,

Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Daniel

;D
I had a great time this past weekend. I gain want to sat thank you to our instructors. You guys/gal volunteer your time and I know how hard that can be sometimes. I just signed up for the KD course at Talladega next weekend and am looking forward to it. Thanks again! I have been recommending this to all of my shooting buddies....
Retired USAF