News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SACRAMENTO - November 12-13, 2016 - After Action Report

Started by Vinnie, November 15, 2016, 09:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinnie

What a BEAUTIFUL weekend it was for our Appleseed shoot in Sacramento Valley!

SATURDAY:

Check-in was a little late, with the annual Spartan Race in town bringing traffic to a standstill.  Thankfully, our Appleseed attendees came prepared with slings on their rifles, ready to go (THANK YOU!).

We had 23 attendees on Saturday, including 3 girls, ages 10, 11, and 13.

Our shooters were quite diverse, with brand new shooters who had never handled a firearm before, to law enforcement and military sharing the firing line.  All were attentive, eager to learn, and handled themselves in a very safe manner. 

As we proceeded through our course of instruction it was a joy to see the progress being made by the shooters, their shot groups becoming smaller and smaller, and their firing positions becoming more and more stable.  This is so rewarding to us, as instructors (voluntary instructors) to help others improve their rifle marksmanship skills.

Lunch was accompanied with our traditional telling of The Three Strikes of the Match stories:
1st Strike, told by Bob
2nd Strike, told by Andy
3rd Strike, told by Ducky

After lunch we completed our course of instruction, then posted an Appleseed Qualification Test (AQT) target.

We were only able to get in one AQT on Saturday, and while there were no Rifleman scores, the targets were looking good, and we had many shooters score Marksman and a few Sharpshooters as well… and ALL with great attitudes!

SUNDAY:

12 dedicated Appleseeders came back out on Sunday, and hit the ground running….
First Redcoat Targets of the day were met with an impressive total CLEARED ratio of 25%
Here we see 3 of the 12 morning Redcoat Targets completely annihilated by George, GJ, and Incognito.

With the 12 shooters on Sunday we had 4 hitting the 250yd plank, 3 @ 400yrds, 3 @200yrds, and 4 @ 100 yrds!  For reference, on the day before (Saturday) with 22 shooters, we had nobody getting 3 holes in the 400yd target, and nobody hitting the 250yd plank).

We then reviewed all of our course of instruction before sitting down for lunch together.

During lunch we enjoyed the Dangerous Old Men & Determined Dames stories:
  • Hezekiah Wyman, told by Matt
  • Sam Whittemore, told by Bob
  • David Lamson/Mother Batherick, told by Andy
  • Prudence Wright, told by Ducky
  • Capt Levi Preston and the young historian, told by Vinnie

After lunch we posted our first AQT of the day.
Right off the bat, Incognito hit off a score of 212, becoming our 1st Rifleman of the day.

After a couple more AQTs we had several shooters with scores above 200, including
* Anne with a 200
* George with a 203
* Chris with a 203
* Christopher with a 204
(I believe there was one more over 200… let me know if it was you and I will add you to the list)

- - -

Mid-afternoon we took a break and pulled out the Flintlock Musket:

GJ was so fired-up from the musket shoot, that he came back and shot a Rifleman Score of 222, our highest score of the day  :)
CONGRATS G!!  I'm thinking you'd look pretty good sporting one of our Orange Hats!

- - -

I would like to extend a gracious Thank You to Chris Laskowski, of Foxbat Photography, for sharing his talents with us,
in what are some of the most beautiful photos from any Appleseed shoot I have ever attended:

LINK to Chris's APPLESEED photos:  http://imgur.com/a/g67E7

Thank you, instructors, for doing an EXCELENT job with the shoot….
* MIKE
* DUCKY
* MATT
* ANDY
* BOB
You made it all very easy for me.

Thank you to all who attended!  We sincerely hope you enjoyed our event, and we would love to see you out on the range with us again in the future.  Please keep an eye on the upcoming 2017 schedule of Appleseed events, which will be posted here: http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=CA&statename=California

If you would like to post comments or photos on this forum, just create your own user name and password here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=register

- - -

Also, if you had a good time, please tell friends, family, and co-workers about your experience:

Post on Yelp: http://yelp.com/biz/project-appleseed-rifle-marksmanship-clinic-sloughhouse-2?osq=rifle

Post on Calguns: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1258949

...or anywhere you feel you may be heard!

- - -

MORE PHOTOS link: http://imgur.com/a/JucPf

...NEVER BE SILENT!

Vinnie

Texas T

Sounds like a great way to end the year. Congrats to our new riflemen!   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

PinBreaker

Looks great! Congrats on running your first shoot, Vinnie! :~

NorCal22Gal

WhooHooo!!! ..:..

Looks like you guys had a blast!!

Great work as usual!

clics222

clics222

Quote from: clics on November 17, 2016, 06:54:02 AM
I also shot 203 on my best AQT on Sunday.

-Chris

PS. Thank you to all the instructors and shooters for making this a great experience!

Ducky

As instructors, we thoroughly enjoyed our weekend with you all. Our "payment" is watching you improve, as you're putting the pieces together. Those "ah-ha!" moments you reach--learning how to relax into that sling, realizing that process of finding/adjusting/rechecking your NPOA actually works, discovering what seated position gives you the most stability--those moments don't go unnoticed by us  :cool2:

When you find yourself consistently shooting better, you know you're tuning in.  Now it's a matter of remembering to enjoy yourself on that firing line so the "stress" of trying to reach your goal of Rifleman doesn't "psyche you out."

Keep practicing--we hope we see you out there again soon!

Best wishes,
Ducky
Freedom, in a political context, means freedom from government coercion. It does not mean freedom from the landlord, or freedom from the employer, or freedom from the laws of nature which do not provide men with automatic prosperity. It means freedom from the coercive power of the state, and nothing else.--Ayn Rand