News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa, GA - November 5-6, 2016 AAR

Started by 76Patriot, November 07, 2016, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76Patriot

The sun rose on a chilly, beautiful morning, and the shooters came forth - 21 of them.  After our welcome and safety briefing, we dove into our first red coat.  Then we began the instruction:  6 steps to firing the shot, sling use, and prone position, followed by an extended prep period to fit rifles and test our steady hold factors and sling use.  After shooting some squares we learned about NPOA and then shot some more squares. 

After that we broke for lunch and heard the first two strikes.  We resumed our rifleman's quest by shooting a couple squares and learning to shoot in cadence.  Then we let our targets talk to us.  IMC was presented so that we could adjust our sights, and we verified our efforts with a few more squares.  After that we learned how to shoot in various seated positions and shot more squares. 

We took an afternoon break to hear the third strike, then returned to the line to learn how to shoot while standing.  We ended our time on the firing line with an AQT and a red coat.  That solitary AQT yielded our first rifleman - a first time Appleseeder shooting an impressive 223 - with his .223 I might add. :)  Congrats Danny!  Then we wrapped up the day with a spirited presentation of Patrick Henry's speech.

Our efforts were rewarded with an extra hour of sleep (thank you Ben Franklin) and every single shooter came back for day two.  We spent the morning reviewing the previous day's material and learning about the rifleman's bubble and the rifleman's dance.  Then it was on to an epic KD presentation before breaking for an early lunch, during which we got to hear about dangerous old men and brave women.

Thus motivated, we shot our red coats.  WOW!  So much improvement!  We shot a couple of sighters and went after our first AQT.  We followed that with a ball and dummy drill then shot two more AQTs, the last of which gave us another rifleman.  Congrats to David with his score of 222!  Huzzah!  Then we finished off the day with a final red coat.

I want to thank all of our fantastic shooters.  It was an absolute pleasure to spend the weekend with you and watch your marksmanship skills improve.  Congrats again to our new riflemen!

"Why stand we here idle?" - Patrick Henry

Texas T

Congrats to David and Danny. Great job.  :---
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Roswell

Saturday began bright and early for the Instructors. The Shoot Boss in training was already well on his way to Shoot Boss and had checked his sympathy at the door.  ;D

After scrambling in the dark to get things set up, we were ready when the shooters arrived with the morning sun in tow. Of course we began with our standard safety briefing.

We had a long line of very eager patriots.

We were ready for lunch when it finally came time and Stikes 1&2. Then as we were already gathered, we rolled right into the Standing position.

Our first day ended with a Rifleman rising from among us. Congratulations to Danny and his 223 with a .223!  ^:)^

Sunday at GMSA we are not allowed to shoot before noon. So, we began with some words from our SBIT and then went into review. We got quite a bit out of the way before it was time to squeeze some triggers.

At lunch we all took turns telling Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women and Gallant Children stories. Then it was time for a ceremony! The changing of the hats, as our SBIT was morphed by Morpheus himself into our new Shoot Boss! Huzzah 76 Patriot!  :bow:

Then it was back to the line as we had some catching up to do!  :---

Then it was time for the students to team up for a little Ball and Dummy

After some more AQTs we did a Redcoat. Not too many got bayonetted.  ;)

The day ended with yet another Rifleman to rise from among us. David put out a 222 with a .22!  O0

What a weekend! My fitbit confirmed that despite the late start, we didn't mess around.  LOL

Again, Congratulations to Danny and David!

The rest of you have what it takes to shoot Rifleman. Just practice the right things and persist. I hope to see each of you on the trail (hopefully with a friend).

In Liberty,
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Morpheus

My thanks to all who attended and those who instructed for this finest of weekends! The beautiful weather was only surpassed by the quality of people who chose to spend this time at the GMSA Range. I count it a privilege to be amongst the likes of you all.

Although I was listed as the "Shoot Boss", it was 76Patriot who did all of the work and made this shoot the success that it was. He certainly earned that Green Hat and it was an honor to present it to him. Thank you!!

The shooters were so attentive and eager to learn this weekend, so much more so than I recall at any other shoot. The fact that everyone one of them returned for a full day on Sunday is a testament to that. I am confident that we will have many more Riflemen from this group upon their return to future Appleseeds, and with a bit of dry fire practice in between! I hope they will check our future shoots as our GA schedule is updated over the next couple of months.

See you all on the trail.

Steve
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

DrJohn

This was a remarkable group of students for a number of reasons, particularly the deep appreciation and enjoyment of the history and of  Liberty. And although we had a few who did not attend, we were most gratified that the event was sold out. Huzza! It has been mentioned above that not a single student dropped out all day Saturday, that all returned on Sunday, and that all stayed until the end of the event and graciously and generously helped put the range back in order. Congratulations to Danny and David on qualifying as Rifleman, and on each and every student, all of whom showed fine improvement and all of whom can become Rifleman if only you persist. Thank you all for a most delightful and gratifying weekend, and may Liberty increase forever!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

vostok

I want to thank all of the instructors for the time and tremendous effort on the Toccoa weekend. I came to this totally inexperienced after probably only shooting 100 rounds ever. Somehow, by the grace of God, I achieved Rifleman. To do this with my son there made for a weekend I will NEVER forget. I was asked if I had any formal training and the answer is no. The only explanation other than the fantastic training is that I am a photographer who has 'shot' thousands of photos. Photography is just like shooting, but without the recoil. I don't want to overlook the lessons about the cost of our liberty. That was also unexpected, but it was fascinating and delivered with passion. I had no expectations; I was just going shooting with my son, but it turned out to be so much more.

Texas T

Similar to your experience, I also shot Rifleman my first time out of the gate. In fact, twice the same weekend. It looks like we have similar backgrounds, with very little prior experience.

When we open an event, we generally start with instructor introductions. As a part of mine, I talk about what I was able to accomplish in my first weekend. Not from a bragging standpoint, but from the position that I came with very little experience, only having shot a rifle twice in my life, and that what I brought in place of experience is what we refer to as a "teachable" attitude.

The shoot boss at the event commented to my wife that, after the first day, if there were to be an award for "most improved", it would go to me. I simply listened and internalized what I was learning, incorporating it throughout the weekend.

When I tell my story to students, I tell them that, if they have no experience that isn't a handicap, but can actually be an advantage. They don't have any bad habits to unlearn, that they have the opportunity to start fresh and build good habits.

The steps that we use in instruction are meant to be building blocks, fitting together nicely, similar to a puzzle. Starting with the foundation of steady-hold, moving through the six steps to firing a shot, and then building to NPOA, it is quite similar to constructing a building. If you have a solid foundation, then good framing and materials, you can build a skyscraper.

Congratulations on your accomplishment.   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017