News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gainesville, FL Oct. 29-30, 2016

Started by 9mm4545, October 31, 2016, 04:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

This was a special shoot for me. All but two of the participants were previous Appleseeders and the weather was a nice change from the summer inferno. We had not one but two new Instructors who officially retired their Orange Hats at this shoot in a hail of gunfire and explosions. Kudos are due to Randy (Falcon793) and Chris (Minutemom).

A first time shooter (Sandy) began with a fantastic group on the first squares target of the day on Saturday. The rest of the weekend was trying to make that feat repeatable and consistent. Sandy, you improved more than you can know and it was a pleasure working with you. I do hope you can join us again as you will become a Rifle(wo)man if that is your desire. Dimetri, Sofya, and Lucy: you guys are awesome and it was great to see you again. Thanks for bringing Yuri, another fine person and a very good shot, becoming better and better. Wes, you and Perry are always a delight and it was once again a pleasure seeing you both. Perry, your determination is an inspiration as you work through finding a position that will work for you. Hang in there; it does get easier!

While we had no new Riflemen, Wes and Dimetri both re-qualified with very respectable scores on the AQT, as did several (all?) of the instructors. The small gathering had the feel of a intimate family get together and the high instructor to student ratio made for some rapid progress.

You may recall that I mentioned a series of very good YouTube videos presented by Ryan Cleckner of the National Shooting Sports Foundation.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WRO17sk_dI&list=PLACF2AEF0EC711484 Some very good advice on scope mounting and tuning along with a lot of other great information on long range shooting. I hope you find these videos as useful as I have.

Thanks to all of the great instructors who made this shoot a success: Rambo Granny, Falcon793, Minutemom, and Smoakingun. You guys make it look so easy...

Don't forget, we have a new shoot in November near Hawthorne. Lovely facility, no range fees, camping on site is available and the weather should be as good as it gets in Florida. It should be epic!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

B.C.

Good times! I saw amazing improvements from all the students. Congrats again to minutemom and Falcon, well done on your new red hats! The pictures I took are below: 
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Wes

First things first, I want to give a big congratulations to Chris and Randy for earning the red hat. Both of you are going to make great instructors. You absolutely deserve it.

I also want to thank all of the instructors(Bruce, Janet, Smoak, big Chris, Chris and Randy)for another great event. I have immensely enjoyed every Appleseed I have attended but I have to say I think I enjoyed this one the most (THREE rapid fire aqt's-what's not like about that!) Only thing that could have made it better was if my son would have been able to make this one but hopefully next time he will be able to.

You folks  really put your hearts into these events and it shows. I always take away something new  both in terms of history and marksmanship. I'm sure it can be frustrating at times trying to impart that knowledge but you patiently keep at it and I can vouch that it pays off.

Thanks again and hope to see all of you soon.
Wes

Monkey

Quote from: 9mm4545 on October 31, 2016, 04:22:41 PM

You may recall that I mentioned a series of very good YouTube videos presented by Ryan Cleckner of the National Shooting Sports Foundation.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WRO17sk_dI&list=PLACF2AEF0EC711484 Some very good advice on scope mounting and tuning along with a lot of other great information on long range shooting. I hope you find these videos as useful as I have.

Thanks for sharing this.  Looks like another night of Youtube ahead...

vr/
Monkey
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Minutemom

Fun shoot!!  I really enjoyed working with our young patriot, Lucy, and watching her marksmanship improve over the weekend!  Great job in raising a young lady who knows what she is about, Dimitri and Sofya!  And speaking of Dimitri, congrats to him and Wes for re-qualifying with very respectable scores!!  And thank you also for bringing along Yuri and Perry, both a delight to work with and who made impressive improvements over the weekend.  And finally, Sandy, I was so impressed with your persistence and great attitude - you are definitely a rifle(wo)man in the making!  I hope to see you all again soon on the line!

And finally, thanks to my Appleseed family of instructors, Bruce, Janet, Smoak, Big Chris, and Randy.  I am so incredibly proud to don the red hat and join a group of such passionate and talented people!  I enjoyed participating in the blowing up of Randy's hat  >:D
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

rambo granny

This one will always be in my fond memories due to the awesome students and retiring 2 orange hats at one event: Randy's hat was nearly down to the molecular level while Minutemom's was suitable for framing by her husband.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

rambo granny

Minutemom & Lucy.
A real fedora!
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David