News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Lake City, MI Known Distance Octobber 29-30, 2016

Started by SteelThunder, October 31, 2016, 09:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Wow!  A most excellent event with 13 superb Americans!  Thank you so much to the Marksmanship Training Center for hosting our first Known Distance (KD) for Appleseed students. 

We spent Day 1 on the 25M range starting on the fundamentals of Position, 6 Steps and NPOA.  Day 2 we marched over to the 1000 yard rifle range and, after getting our come ups, shot 3 full distance KD AQTs.  Congrats to Jack on scoring Rifleman on Saturday and taking an Orange Hat to become an instructor in training.  Congrats to Ray on scoring Rifleman on the KD range, using a Remington 700 bolt gun no less (proving that if you take your time on Stage 1 and 4 and clean them...it doesn't matter that you only get 5 shots off on Stage 2.)

To all of the students, we appreciated your attention to safety and to the instruction -- both marksmanship and history.  Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again.

Since this Shoot Boss was busy running around like a headless chicken...I only have 2 photos...one taken by Superheat on the KD range.  The other is my wife's favorite Halloween appetizer.

:pics:

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Texas T

Ray, thanks for showing that it can be done with a bolt rifle.

Jack, thanks for stepping up. I hope that you find the experience as rewarding as I have, over time.   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Superheat

We had a great weekend at MTC.  This is a great place.  Huge 25 yd range and gigantic 1000 meter range.  WOW.  Saturday I was a student shooting the whole day at 25 yds.  I was really happy with my groups.  It was a good refresher on how hard shooting an Appleseed can be on a 48 year old.  Sunday we went to the 1000 meter range and shot some full distance AQTs.  I wish all appleseeds could do this. 

Sunday morning was my highlight.  I was lucky enough to work with Devin and Brian.  Unfortunately, a deer jumped in front of their pickup on the way to the range Sunday.  Nevertheless, they had a rifle with a new scope that needed to be sighted in.  The three of us went to the 25 yd range.   Devin (teenager)  Got down in prone at 25 yds.  He made sure all his steady hold factors were good and then started working his NPOA.  Then he shot a very nice 3 shot group.  We did IMC and adjusted his scope.  If I remember it was 8 moa right and 3 down.  To verify the adjustments he shot a second three shot group.  We were all excited to find all 3 shots in the center square!  Yep, this stuff works. 

Thanks to a creative set up by the Shootboss we did sighters and 3 AQT on Sunday.  That was after a lightning round of point of instructions.  Plus we did 3 dangerous old men stories. 

Congratulations to Ray on his Full distance with a bolt. 

Pictures!

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

Gruff telling the story of Samuel Whittemore

Full distance RIFLEMAN

Rocking it old school

Shoot boss stand and deliver

Posteriety! Great job.

Alarm listers getting a ride

number 6 seated

Full distance Rifleman achieved

Rifleman Tetris, Level= Expert

VERY grateful group of Instructors for our wonderful host range

Grindstone

What a great event! Positives include:
•   shoot KD
•   opportunity to bring regular, non-instructors to a long range shoot
•   make new friends and work with shooters and instructors from all across the state
•   a new IIT - Thanks for stepping up Jack!
•   OK weather (actually beautiful for what I have come to expect for MTC weather)
•   we had a really gifted group of shooters
•   we got to make some steel ring
•   Hopefully more of these for 2017
•   making some connections with the precision rifle community, and looking for ways we can mutually benefit from that connection.
•   I got home before 10:30 on Sunday night

number6

I didn't get many photos either, as I spent most of the time being a "secret shopper" although my OpSec wasn't the greatest.

Our Saturday Rifleman, Jack, quite possibly of Beanstalk fame???

IITs sizing up the shoot hill, before the invasion of students...

'Merica

You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

Grindstone

OK Ok, I will post my pictures...

A Hang ten moment.