News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Lewistown Instructor KD October 29, 2016

Started by StevenK, October 30, 2016, 02:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenK

This weekend we held another Known Distance event at Lewistown PA for our Appleseed instructors (including IIT0 and above).  All showed up with a terrific spirit and worked together on this event. On Friday we had many hands to set up the range - thanks to all who participated. Most importantly we then went for our traditional Italian Dinner at a local restaurant on Friday Night. In the end, we had good weather, learned more, and all had a good time. 

Many thanks to our Instructor SgtRock for his immense contribution to these events.

Shooters from Connecticut to Maryland were in attendance.

Chronology of KD Event

1.   7:30 Start / sign-in.
2.   7:50 Greetings and Safety Briefing (Shoot Boss).
3.   8:00-8:52 Known Distance Class (Instructor)
4.   8:53 to 9:00  Get Rifles/Clear Line
5.   9:03 First Zero
6.   9:11 Second Zero
7.   9:23 Third Zero

Distance Sighters 1-300

8. 9:30 First Sighter 
9. 10;00 Second Sighter 
10. 10:21 Third Sighter

Distance Sighters 1-400

11. 10:33 Fourth Sighter
12. 10:53 Fifth Sighter

AQT

First AQT
Start 11:10
Complete 4th Stage 11:32
Return/Downrange Cleared - 11:52

Lunch Break until 12:35

*Special Prep/Additional Zero Correction - 12:36 - 12 48

Second AQT Starts 12:48/Return from Downrange 1:25.
Third AQT Starts 1:35/Return from Downrange 2:20
Fourth AQT Starts 2:30 / Return from Downrange 3:15
Fifth AQT Starts 3:23/Return from Downrange 3:58
Sixth AQT w/ Option to Shoot Steel Targets 4:00-4:30

Round count was 280

*Range Breakdown: 4:30-5:00

Benediction - 5:15 to 5:30 (Event Closed)

RESULTS:  Everyone had a good time and learned a more about known distance. All shooters encountered different problems - all cheerfully worked through the issues with a smile and drove on.

*Special Thanks to Donna R. for bringing additional smiles and extra sunshine to this event.

Qualifications:
Total Shooters:  15
Total Qualifications: 13
Roverace, WhyWon, Navionpa, Red Coat Rival, Tominct,  AARon, Drifter52, Arrigetch, Vjornaxx, JamesT,  Mal, MK1765,  StevenK
(Includes 8 re-qualifications).

mal

The class and crew of the semi-annual instructor-only Actual Distance event. 

~Malcontent

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."
~ John Adams

mal

The awesome 1000 yard range at Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association
~Malcontent

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."
~ John Adams

mal

SgtRock Running the line.
~Malcontent

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ John Adams

mal

Our ShootBoss StevenK on the Left Line.
~Malcontent

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ John Adams

mal

4-gun salute for those qualifying on this round of the AQT.
(Sorry, though almost everyone qualified, this was the only shot I took of the victory volleys).
~Malcontent

~ Thomas Jefferson

~ John Adams

navionpa

Steve, Steve;

Another great shoot, just want to thank you guys, for putting on another great KD day.
david

PS also want to thank Donna for letting me borrow her rifle.

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Chainsaw

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

sgtrock

MAL,  thank you for the pictures. I am on the road, with no time to think, must stay focused on the job. Will add more when I get home, Thanks Dave, eaglescouter yes,it's,the,nicest,range in the north east. As far as  I am concerned.

sgtrock

Tom, your're welcome. Anything I can do, just let me know.

TOMINCT

Yes, it was a great event, the range, shooters, weather, the shooting, all good.

Thanks to StevenK and sgtrock for getting it done.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

ChestyPuller

Thanks Steve K and Steve/Sgt Rock for another great KD lets do it again sooon  ^:)^ :--- ^:)^
First shot hit under time pressure is the goal of every rifleman.

drifter52

Thanks StevenK and sgtrock for running another great KD at MCSA's amazing range.  Getting this actual distance experience will enhance my ability to back up the "book" information with some"real world" when presenting the KD portion of our 25M Appleseeds.

It was also nice to get actual field confirmation of my ARish rifle's reliability and accuracy in spite of its NY legal configuration compromises.

ChestyPuller

Can we slow it down next time and/or have some time to fix stuff. I was one of the two that didn't qualify, I was having scope eye relief problems and that range is the only place I can shoot beyond 100 yards.   ..:..

Arrigetch

I thought this was a really fun KD.  A major improvement over the previous one I did at the same range was the expansion of the firing line to include the 1000 yard half of the range as well.  It didn't feel nearly so crowded this time around!

I thought there was plenty time -- including if you had to make scope adjustments.  In addition to all the morning practice, there were 6 AQTs in this shoot!  That's a lot more than the previous KD I attended.  It should only take 1 or 2 AQTs worth of time to re-set a scope and re-zero if the eye relief is not right -- I had to do exactly this in my previous KD.

I re-qualified before lunch, and had the afternoon to zero and try out my new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM all the way out to 1015 yards!  We also had some great weather...  What an awesome day!

StevenK

Hey, let me know next time-I'll help out but I have to keep things moving bc people come from miles around to qualify; consequently the events are run in a  high speed and low drag manner.  Neverthless you can always find time-a few shooters sat out an aqt or cof to resolve unexpected issues, then they got back into the mix. The pre shoot information we give also advised to get all these gear issues and the zero straight before arrival.  Sorry to hear about this now. You are always an asset at these events- it was good to see you on the line and i hope you come back in March.

ChestyPuller

Thanks Steve

I finally got my scope setup right so now no problem. I can't wait for the next one  :---

Vinnie