News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winterseed @ Liberty Center, OH on January 2017

Started by Mutant Texan, October 29, 2016, 12:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutant Texan

I just completed my registration for the Winterseed in Ohio early next year.  Do I need to score rifleman in the snow to get the patch or will just showing up and shooting all weekend be good enough?

I hope we get a ton of snow and a long cold spell in January so that I have enough materials to make my white shooting mat.

I also want to bring out my old but good looking .30-06 rifle to shoot at the longest range possible.  Does anyone know what the longest range at Liberty Center is?

:---
"Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills."

Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian, AD 37--101, on the Roman military

Charley

You do have to get rifleman's score to earn the patch.

The longest we can shoot at Liberty Center is about 100yds. That would be after moving the firing line back.

Corvette

I am signing up as a shooter, I want the patch.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

goodoldfriend

What is the weather like up there that time of the year?

I am debating with myself on doing this one too.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

little buddy

Depends on the year some year's it's cold with snow other year's it is just cold.

Little Buddy

goodoldfriend

Copy that.

What would be normal cold temps be? I understand there is variation. Cold means something different to we southern Ohioans. I am trying to gauge if I have the gear and want to persist to that extent.

Thanks!
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

little buddy

It's about 33 degrees for a high low is about 22 degrees.

Charley and I are both on the board at the club look's like we will have the club house with heat we will have our meeting in a few week's to verify this we always have lunch provided for a donation normally it's a five dollar donation per a person per a day there is always plenty of food.

Little Buddy

goodoldfriend

OK, I am getting closer to coming. Will let you know.

Thanks for the reply!
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Mutant Texan

Quote from: goodoldfriend on November 01, 2016, 02:42:20 PM
What is the weather like up there that time of the year?

I am debating with myself on doing this one too.

Sometimes it is cold and other times it is really really cold.  The problem with NW Ohio is that the snow can be fickle.  I have seen winters that dropped snow that could be measured in yards (2014-2015) and others where it was just cold and dry.  Lets just hope it is not warm by north Ohio standards (35 F) while dumping cold rain on us.

I think that it will be cold at this Winterseed.  Is it a requirement for snow to be falling during the shoot?  If someone can show up with a monitor nozzle, some fire hose and a large capacity pump, I could draft off the pond there and make all the snow we want.  It would then be up to the individual to get the 210 for the patch.  Is there anyone around that is a volunteer fire fighter that can bring this gear to the shoot?

All joking aside, I like the idea of a Winterseed because only the most dedicated people that want to be there will show up.

Cadence

Signed up last week to instruct, but hope to have enough help to be able to shoot a few AQT's to get the Winterseed patch! >:D
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Corvette

Cadence, I plan on doing the same, got plenty of patches, so good luck to all of us.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

goodoldfriend

I didn't ping this thread back...I signed up.

My only reservation now is that I had surgery on my dumb left foot This past Monday. It went OK. It was not a big deal.

I will be on crutches for at least two weeks. I should be able to "run" up and down the range but who knows. Might have to beg assistance posting targets....sigh.

As far as I can tell I will be there.
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Mutant Texan

I just watched the 13 ABC weather report for Toledo.  There is snow in the forecast for Friday and cold temperatures.  He said that there was a chance for accumulating snow.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-84.00426844482418&lat=41.44671776371811#.WIKaWn2dRhE (this is centered around Liberty Center)

Our Federal Government's meteorologist seem to be the most reliable people for predicting the weather.  It looks like perfect snow making weather because it will be near freezing and the air should have plenty of capacity to hold enough moisture to make snow.  ^:)^

â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,
â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,
:snipersmi â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,, 🎯
          :---  â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,   ðŸŽ¯
                  :~ â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,â,,    🎯

goodoldfriend

Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

goodoldfriend

According to the NWS at the time of this post the forecast is for low to mid 20's for Friday night/Saturday morning. High Saturday near 30 with a 30% chance of snow showers.
Saturday night, low of 22.
Sunday, mostly cloudy with a high near 31.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.44666051237385&lon=-84.00432614933152

Looks like I am going to have to pack some stuff to layer and try to stay warm....LOL
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Mutant Texan

I plan to use an insulated coverall suit over some synthetic only garments.  Hopefully the Boss has a lot of Blue Patches to give out :)

little buddy

Liberty center will have lunch as always and we will have coffee tea hot chocolate plenty of water please bring a coffee cup for your self. lunch and the coffee hot chocolate hot tea will be for a 5.00 per a person per a day donation this does not include the range fee of 5.00 per a person per a day donation. camping is available out side or indoors there will be heat in the club house so if you have a cot or sleeping bag bring it to save money as hotels can get expensive other instructor and student will be staying at the club house.

Thank you,

Little Buddy

Mutant Texan

The first day of the Winterseed was awesome.  Many people earned the blue patch, me included.  I was one of the few people there that is not an instructor or an orange hat. 

We had visitors from Alabama that drove up for the Winterseed and they both qualified quickly.  Apparently they have had these blue patches for a while and were unable to use them.  I am glad they brought them north.

I took a look at the forecast again and NOAA updated their predictions.  It is an upgrade because they raised the prediction from 20% chance of snow to 50% chance after 10 am.

Special thanks to all the instructors.  The food that Charlie brought was great.  It was delicious stew that warmed us all up.  I look forward to another beautiful freezing cold day with tons of snow.

goodoldfriend

The weather was cold and the fellowship was warm. Look for the AAR for some really special information about this event.
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks for being such gracious hosts. Y'all have a great program going and it was a pleasure to shoot with you. I still think the Winterseed should be awarded based on the relative "winter" of the area and the perceived harshness for the shooters. That way we could have one in Georgia any time it drops below about 60 degrees.  **)

Thanks again for allowing us to share such a memorable weekend and congratulations to all the qualifiers, which would be EVERYONE!  :bow:

Looking for all y'all to come down to a KD this year if you can make it.

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown