News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RAMSUER NC HOME-RANGE OCT. 22-23 2016

Started by KARDIAK KID, October 27, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KARDIAK KID

The Good:         GREAT CADRE OF STUDENTS. WE HAD 80 PERCENT SUCCESS FOR NEW RIFLEMEN. 85 PERCENT IF THE ENTIRE CLASS IS COUNTED. WE HAD 6 OUT OF 7 QUALIFY. TAYLOR-214,MARTY-222, BRUCE-225, KYLE-210. RE-QUALIFIED: TERRY-229 AND DAN-231.

The Bad:          THE ONLY BAD WAS NOT ENOUGH STUDENTS ON THE LINE

The Ugly:         NO UGLY, VERY SAFE SHOOT.

Dusty old helmet, rusty old gun,
They sit in the corner and wait –
Two souvenirs of the Second World War
That have withstood the time, and the hate.
Many times I've wanted to ask them –
And now that we're here all alone,
Relics all three of a long ago war –
Where has freedom gone?
Mute witness to a time of much trouble,
Where kill or be killed was the law –
Were these implements used with high honor?
What was the glory they saw?
Freedom flies in your heart like an eagle.
Let it soar with the winds high above
Among the spirits of soldiers now sleeping,
Guard it with care and with love.
I salute my old friends in the corner.
I agree with all they have said –
And if the moment of truth comes tomorrow,
I'll be free, or By God, I'll be dead!
Audie Murphy

KARDIAK KID

Laertes demonstrates the seated position .
Where has freedom gone?
Audie Murphy

Schooner

Schooner

Pics

210 ?!?

A new (wet) Rifleman

Schooner

Pics !
An excellent group.  Very attentive and determined to score, with impressive results.

KARDIAK KID

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK, POLONIUS, LARETES AND WEEN FOR STAY OVER FROM THE RBC. THEIR HELP LAY VALUABLE GROUND WORK FOR THE STUDENTS. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ESPECIALLY THANK THECHIEF94 AND SCHOONER FOR WORKING WITH ME SUNDAY. THEIR EYE FOR DETAIL AND CONSTANT TUTORING ALLOW US TO GET 6 RIFLEMEN/RIFLEWOMAN OUT OF 7 SHOOTERS. GREAT JOB GUYS, YOU SQUIDS CAN WORK WITH ME ANY TIME. KK
Where has freedom gone?
Audie Murphy

ween

Excellent weekend.  Glad I could put the IBC training right to work, and do my small part to help make new Riflemen.  Congratulations to the new ones!  Looking forward to advancing through the IIT ranks. 

motorcycle_dan

This was my third Appleseed.  First was at the CMP range in Talladega, Rusty can make you cry with his stories. Made rifleman with a score of 223
2nd was with family and friends near Marion in southern IL, made rifleman score of 213.  Eyes going south on me.
Third was this on at the home range in Ramseur.   First time using a scope and I shoot much better with a scope.  AQT of 231 was my best score.  I wanted to set up some rifles for others to use in future Appleseed events.  While the Ruger is a great machine, I was looking for something else.  Ended up with a couple of Remington 597 and Marlin 795's.  I think in stock form, they are just slightly more accurate than the Rugers.  The Marlin 795 has issues with the 10rd magazines, they won't fall free.  I found the 7 round short mag works much better.  Load the shorter 7 round mag with 2 then the longer 10rd mag with 8, Problem solved.  I have the 795LTR Marlin and another 795 that I have worked over with custom stock, trigger, scope etc.  The LTR works great for younger eyes.  I purchased from Tech-Sights the aperture insert ready rear sight.  That small 0.042 helps my old eyes see the target but lighting must be good.  Poor lighting or shadows means misses on the small red 400yd AQT.  I just can't see them.  If the range faces north and there is good lighting I'm ok.    Bought the Remington 597 because I'd never owned one.  Trigger was rough from the box but a Mcarbo spring and Volquartzen hammer and extractor made it a cream puff.  I had to drill the synthetic stock to fit sling swivels but happy with the results.  Initially installed tech-sight TS200 with aperture then put on a fixed 4x scope.  Very happy with the feed and function of the Remington but the mag drop was not consistent and it was impossible to load magazines with 10 rounds.  9 max.  So I just loaded 5 & 5 or 2 & 8.  Since then I've purchased a couple Remington 15 rd clear banana mags.  Haven't used them yet so can't offer any support.  I like the location of the mag release on the Remington over other .22 rifles.  Stock mag needs a bit of file work to "drop free."  Use a permanent marker and find the tight spots. 

Reading this you are probably already a rifleman.  For so many the equipment is important.  I like to say the Ruger is simplest to operate but the mag release and non lock open issue can be frustrating.  I offer this as a possible alternative to the Ruger.  The Remington and the Marlin both come in under $300 after all the accessories mags, sling, sights or scope.

If someone is reading this thinking of equipment you should bring.  An elbow pad is more important than any other accessory.  My elbow as sore for 2 weeks after my first Appleseed.  I have a shooting jacket and the elbow pad fits under the jacket.  Has the hard shell with soft foam liner.  By the end of the second day you will be very glad you wore it.

What's next?  located my OH Appleseed coordinator.  I need to start giving back and teaching others.  I'm thinking an orange hat is in my future. 
Dan /¦\

jmdavis

Dan,

Good to see you here. I think that you will make a fantastic rifle shooter. I know that you have a good mastery of Trigger control.

The one piece of advice I would offer is to can the hard shell elbow pad. My experience and that of the people I have taught is that they roll around more than I like in prone even when you are actually resting on the flat area above your elbow. The soft pads work fine.

The rifle doesn't matter all that much as long as it is dependable. Virtually any 22 will shoot better than 4 moa at 25m.

Good luck and I hope to see you on the Rifle Range this year.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner