News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Kingman Az - Oct 2016 - Known Distance KD

Started by pennys dad, October 25, 2016, 11:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pennys dad

Kingman Az - Oct 2016 - Known Distance KD @ Mohave Sportsman Club

Details

Students: 9 total several returns from previous Kingman KD's, several new students.
Rifle: Several AR-15's, one M1A scout an AR-10 and a PTR91.
Weather: Sunny most days. Over 85 most days. Late afternoon 15 to 20 mph winds and on Monday morning 75 and no wind.
Instructors: Nick, Bryan, David and me.
Promotions: Two Instructor promotions, congratulation Bryan and Nick.
AQT's: 7 total. 2 Fast AQT's, 1 untimed AQT, 4 standard AQT's.
2 full days and 1 half day.
Dinner: each night we meet for dinner to discuss the days COI and talk about the next day and plan what needed to be worked on.

There are many stories to this class. Two first timers scoring Long Distance patches. Two instructors who scored their patches in February returned to instruct at the KD, one returning student and one new student nailing down their rifle data and scoring well into the hunt for a patch. Students trying new rifles and instructors refining the COI. Many stories but there is one particular to tell.

Chris has a PTR91, it has a scope that is 4 inches off the bore and a comb easily as high to get his eye level there. At one KD he needed a sling and other adjustments, at another he needed come up's and trajectory and ballistics and at this one Chris just needed the AQT. Of 7 AQT's Chris hit a Rifleman's score 5 times with one producing a solid 80% score across all targets. Well done Chris. Chris can tell the rest of the story better than I.

Below are pictures and video

Youtube Videos

https://youtu.be/wMocH4N0eEY

https://youtu.be/xMXtTHLqGxI

https://youtu.be/G1GXS1v6hXU

pennys dad

CactusTheLuckyBushwacker

O0  I really appreciate you guys coming out here and working with us.  I wish I could've made it through Monday morning.  :(

My biggest lesson learned: don't bring equipment you aren't 100% sure of to a KD.  I'm going to spend this winter wringing out the M1A and doing whatever is necessary to make sure I can rely on it before the next KD event.  First on the list is new set of scope rings.  Very disappointing performance from what is supposed to be a high-quality brand. 

Hopefully you folks will be back for the next KD as well.  :D

PS I think the width (MOA) of the front sight on a 1911 depends on the length of the shooter's arms.  :D

crobjones2

I would like to start off with a big THANK YOU to the instructors who all volunteered their time to teach this class - each one of them had to travel over 3hrs and stay in a Kingman hotel.
And, I still contend that that shot broke the line...

This was my third visit to a friendlier state to attend a KD. The first one was a year ago and I scored rifleman on the final KD of the final day. I have always felt that was luck, I never really knew my rifle and was just using the hold under method ( there is no over with my rifle with the scope a mile over the bore) It wasn't until over dinner and a margarita that it was advised that I should attempt to sling my rifle( not an easy thing to do with the way the rifle is built, but none the less I tyrapped a sling to the front hand guard)

The second time I wanted to do things right and back up my score, I was a mess. I tried the come up method, BSZ was way off. It wasn't until another fine night out when we determined that my zero's were at 25yds and about 530yds. still I was determined to persist.

This time, armed with the knowledge and data from several ballistic calculators, I was intent on proving that the first wasn't luck. The ptr is a beast. But with the knowledge I had gained at the previous two outings, I was able to tame her. I have gotten to know my equipment. I know where the scope needs to be for each distance out to 600 yds.
On Saturday, I got lucky( or so I felt) and scored on the last AQT, I had finally gotten my 300yd come-up almost perfect. Sunday started off with a bang and another score, and another, then came a challenge, only hits 12" from the center of the target count. I was determined, I scored the highest hit count I had ever achieved and had 2 shots within 1/4"(low at 300 yds) from being perfect, but that wasn't the challenge- it all came down to the 400yd target, one shot was so close, it all depended on how you measured the 12" box.  Alas I resigned my argument for the sake of letting more lead fly down range and took the loss, a disheartening 31. Final Aqt was a quick one, I forgot to change my come up for 400yds and was disappointed in myself, but oddly still scored, it wasn't luck anymore. The PTR and I were a match.
Later sunday we mover to the 1000yd range to get some distance. I maxed out my scope after 600yds and at 1000yds aimed for the cave and scored 2 hits (out of 19rds, many were mere inches off). We were all having fun until the lightning chased us off the range.

Until next time, and the next challenge. Bolt action? cz527 in 223? rem783 in 3006? or if I get my act together mini 30 in 6.5grendel?
Once again thank you all for such an enjoyable time

Bryan and Nick - We hope to see you in Azusa for a rimfire KD

AZBastiat

Thank you SO much, instructors!!! Especially for putting up with my awkwardness and absent-mindedness.

The range was awesome, and it was good to get outdoors again (it had been a while for me).

I got a lot of good data on my scope-rifle combination; however I need to figure out what to do about the scope hitting me in the forehead. My Accupoint is already as far forward on the AR-15 rail as it will go. I think there's a benefit for me to the focus adjustment that an Accupoint offers (I don't think ACOGs have this). I'm willing to move scopes around on different rifles.

At least one shooter I respect likes heavier loads for .223 for greater power at 400-600 yards. I might try this at some point if they're easy to buy.

GoodGunner

First and foremost: A big thank you to the instructors who took the time with us!

After coming home with a dirty rifle I reintegrated back into the 'real world' and have since reflected upon my known distance experience.

Okay ...

No rifleman patch for me, but my AQT scores were acceptable and improving with every try.

I know my rifle a lot better now. Really. A lot better. And my little AR performed flawlessly through all the grit and dust. Is it weird that I'm a little "proud" to call it MY rifle?  :---

Before this event I was only comfortable shooting my rifle out to 200 yards. Now I'm comfortable out to 400 and was pushed out as far as 600. That was a big change for me.

I was the only student with iron sights. My irons performed well enough, but I learned the value of optics during the course of the weekend. My knowledge about scopes was nil before attending. The info I gained should help me in my own optic purchase.

55gr .223 rounds suck in high wind and long distances. All the other AR15 shooters on the line were using heavier bullets or higher velocity 5.56. Quality ammo costs money, but it can perform better. Difference noted.

Recording the data for every stage of the AQT was a PITA. However, it was very useful. At home I reviewed each stage and studied my progress.

The info I collected on my front and rear sights will be permanently recorded and stored with the rifle.

9 students showed up but only two calibers were in attendance ... 223/556 and 308. That speaks volumes by itself.

The range we were on was great. I'd like to go back to that 500 yard steel range again and just plink.

Dust and wind. Wind and dust. Dirt and grime in the camber. Oh My. On Sunday we left our rifles grounded and ate lunch. When we got back to the line my shooting mat and rifle were COATED with a layer of dirt. We were given the command to make ready, I picked my rifle up, and ... I kid you not ... there was a rifle shaped outline in the dirt on my shooting mat.

This class was the perfect 'next step' for me. I had already shot rifleman with a .22 at a previous appleseed. After earning that patch, I bought my AR15 and spent time getting familiar with it. This class provided the solid instruction I needed on shooting at full distances.

I struggled at a few points. Found my sling had slipped loose so my groups opened way up. Got tired. Struggled to focus on the front post. Concluded my eyesight is slipping. Wanted to scream. Stuck it out and improved.

In the end I learned a lot. What a GREAT event.

Kudos to my fellow students who earned their KD patches. Budget permitting I hope to return to this event one day and earn a KD patch of my own.

Appleseed is awesome!

- Andrew

P.S.

Pennys Dad was right. We all like to see ourselves. That's me staring down my iron sights:

https://youtu.be/wMocH4N0eEY