News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR- Lapeer, Mi October 22-23, 2016

Started by Superheat, October 24, 2016, 10:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superheat

What a great weekend!  We met some new friends, shared and celebrated our shared history and did a truly American thing, shoot rifles!

Saturday was 10-22 day and as usual there were several represented on the line. 

It was wonderful to actually have an event where we wore our shooting jackets.  That long hot summer is definitely behind us.

Thank you to all who donated your time and effort to make this Appleseed exceptional.  Moose, Whippet, Gopher Boy, Madhatter, Critterkeeper, Roundballer, Mr. Surplus and number6 Thank you.

I have so much more to write, but I am still exhausted. 

Everyone made great progress with regards to their shooting.  Of course Dennis was able to put it all together and earn his RIFLEMAN patch.  Well done Sir!

Pictures!

T. WOLF

We had a great weekend! My bones are pretty darn tired today, between all the exercises at the range and hobo-camping at Attica campgrounds, I am definitely feeling my age! It was totally worth it though. Here are some of my thoughts on the experience:

The training was thorough, and very intensive - in a good way.  It was really pleasant to work with a team of enthusiastic firearm instructors who weren't simply ‘phoning it in' and genuinely wanted to teach us as much material as they possibly could. I was particularly impressed with the level of personal attention they were willing to provide to each student - whether it was sharing helpful observations on our technique, reinforcing proper safety habits, being patient with the young ones or helping us out with a rifle that was not in prime shooting condition (thanks, number6!).

The range was very well organized and right away I was impressed with the level of preparation the Appleseed team had brought.  From extra waters and shooting mats to spare rifles, trauma kits and well-outfitted tool boxes. I relied on the Appleseed equipment at numerous points over the weekend and it was sincerely appreciated as it saved me from becoming overly discouraged by my own gear. It provided a good benchmark of my own level of range preparedness, and what I need to improve on.

The revolutionary war flags, battle map, and flintlock musket demonstration really helped to set the tone for this event, and served as a reminder that this was much more than a weekend of basic range instruction.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from the historical portion of the course, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear the genesis of our nation told with such passion and attention to detail. I never received that message in grade school, and it's safe to assume it isn't being taught any better today. One point of emphasis that I took away from the stories was that the first action taken by British forces was the systematic disarmament of the American colonists through powder raids and search & seizures. I know you guys aren't allowed to introduce political discourse to your history lessons, but if everybody in America was privy to that story, our country might not be so divided on the 2nd Amendment.

My only negative take away was that it took me way too long to get comfortable and consistent with the use of the GI sling, and I felt like that interfered with my ability to fully absorb the other shooting lessons that followed. The sling is such a critical component of the shooting technique - I regret not purchasing one in advance and familiarizing myself with the Loop and Hasty techniques. That is one piece of advice I would give to someone attending an Appleseed event for the first time: buy your own sling and try to break it in ahead of time. Being able to apply that sling quickly and comfortably is critical.

To paraphrase something an instructor said - my grandfather might have taken me to the range as a boy and showed me how to operate a rifle, but he didn't teach me how to shoot the rifle. Before this weekend I thought I was fairly well prepared to defend my home and my family. But now I know I still have a long way to go. I may consider myself ‘a responsible gun owner', and I know I would do anything to defend myself and my neighbors from tyranny. But if I am not skilled in marksmanship… am I really being ‘a responsible gun owner'?

And so, a commitment has been made to return to Project Appleseed. As many times as it takes to get my Rifleman patch. I'll be back in Lapeer on Dec 3rd and look forward to seeing some friendly faces there again.  I've also reached out to some friends and family (Michigan, Florida, New York and Ohio) and urged them to have the Appleseed experience for themselves.

Thank you.

Travis Wolf

PS - here is a link to a gallery of a few photos we snapped at the range. And also the video of ‘Blackpowder Max' having a go with the flintlock musket!   https://goo.gl/photos/DoaTQQBHWDPMf3w49
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

Whippet

An ENCELLENT post T. Wolf!

It is always good to attend an Appleseed event and be reminded of the beliefs that made America. The quality of the people that attend events reminds me of why we do what we do.

1. Point the sights where they need to be pointed
2. Keep 'em there while you squeeze the trigger.
3. Repeat

Choose wisely and do your best at whatever you find yourself doing. (Whippet, 1997)

Texas T

Travis, thank you for your positive comments and feedback. As instructors, we are all volunteers. The only "pay" that we receive is the satisfaction, during the event and at the end of the weekend, that we see when students "get it". Whether that is as a result of the marksmanship instruction or the sharing that is experienced through the history, that's what we work for.

Thanks again for your kind words.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Superheat

BTW, someone left a black zip up hoodie... 

T. WOLF

Is this an appropriate thread to ask questions about my national heritage?

I feel like it is... but I don't want to ruffle any forum feathers.
There's probably a .txt. somewhere I should read first, but...
I'm inquiring strictly to my 10/22/16 Lapeer Instructors for guidance.
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

Superheat

T.wolf

Thank you for the feedback.  I'm glad that the marksmanship and history resonated with you.  As to students having a sling prior to the event, as a newbie to the g.i. web sling,  what percentage do you think would be able to figure it out on their own? 

I'm not sure what 'national heritage' questions you have.  Feel free to send a private message to myself or others.  Perhaps that would be a good place to answer them.   

If it is just a history question, go for it.  Plus you will find several places on this forum to discuss rifles, history, etc.

Again, thanks for the feedback from the weekend.

Superheat.

number6

It was great to get out again at Lapeer, it seems like it's been months since I've taught at my home club.  It was exiting to see so many age groups and backgrounds represented.

Thanks to everybody that attended, I hope we hit a chord with more than just T.Wolf.

I love seeing the improvement of students over the weekend and this one was no exception.

I hope to see you all at a future event.  Remember Winterseeds should be on the Schedule for Lapeer soon.

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

T. WOLF

Quote from: Superheat on October 26, 2016, 09:25:21 AM
I'm not sure what 'national heritage' questions you have.  Feel free to send a private message to myself or others.  Perhaps that would be a good place to answer them.   

If it is just a history question, go for it.  Plus you will find several places on this forum to discuss rifles, history, etc.

It's just a history question. I posted it here so as to not hijack this after action report.

mrsurplus

Although I spent most of my time on the right side of the line, I thoroughly enjoyed working with all the attendees. Everyone had a teachable attitude and it really showed. Special shout outs to Black Powder Max for taking on a musket and living to tell the tale, and to Payton for continually working hard even through the frustration. I look forward to seeing many of you back on the line soon.

MrSurplus
" There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism"
- Alexander Hamilton
" The key to life is how you deal with plan B" - Stephan Dias

Ferndale

Hi.  Max and I (Sam) had an absolute blast.  We'll be back to earn our rifleman patches.

1) There wasn't a single time that a raised voice, judgmentalism, etc. was used.  All i saw from the cast of instructors was determined smiles.  It would be easy to imagine a situation where instructors were nitpicking or being jerks.  it happens at ranges all the time, but not at Project Appleseed!

2) My boy was the youngest there.  He was scared about the prospect of being the youngest and we talked about it a couple times leading up to event.  He couldn't have been more wrong.  He described the weekend as the best of his life.  He said "Nothing could have been better.  I got to camp and shoot all weekend long."

3) the history portion was probably my favorite part, which i did not expect heading into the event. 

Anyways.  Thanks so much for everything.

LisaB

We had a great time and look forward to doing it again!  Big thank you to all the instructors, especially madhatter for sitting and helping Payton! It really made a difference in how she felt about the whole experience.

Roundballer

Quote from: Ferndale on October 26, 2016, 03:43:57 PM
<snip>
2) My boy was the youngest there.  He was scared about the prospect of being the youngest and we talked about it a couple times leading up to event.  He couldn't have been more wrong.  He described the weekend as the best of his life.  He said "Nothing could have been better.  I got to camp and shoot all weekend long."
<snip>
Black Powder Max sure didn't have a problem come Sunday when I finally got there.  He was the first to step up when I asked for volunteers!

LittleWing

This was my first Appleseed event I ever attended, I wasn't 100% sure what to expect, but I knew it was going to be a great learning experience. Boy, was I wrong, this was an absolutely outstanding learning experience!!! I went into the even with what I thought was a good grasp on shooting techniques, but I walked away with more knowledge than I expected to learn over a weekend. I loved every aspect of the event. From the history lessons, which were told with so much passion by all the instructors, to the explanations of all the different shooting positions, NPOA, IMC, and ranging targets. Everything was spectacular!! All the instructor did a fantastic job and I thank you all for the experience!! A special thanks to Gopher Boy, towards the end of Sunday he was right there pushing me during the last few AQT targets and with him doing so I got a score of 202!! So close, but not enough to get the rifleman patch. But it didn't matter to me, because getting that close at my first event proved that I was walking away with a TON of knowledge that I did not have before. Again, thank you to all the instructors, everyone did a fantastic job!! I will definitely be back to another Appleseed(hopefully Dec. 3rd) in the future!

-Scott

Superheat

Littlewing,
Thank you for the feedback.   It sounds like the instruction and message was well received.  GB is one of the best at knowing what a shooter needs.   Glad to hear the determination in your goal of a rifleman patch.   :cool2:

T. WOLF

I've been eager to sport my new Appleseed 4/19 shirt, but unfortunately it doesn't fit. Your newest color 'Clay' or whatever it's called (a sandy sort of light grey) - it looks great, but I don't think it shrinks like your previous colors have. Several PA staff members advised me to select a size up on my t-shirt because it would definitely shrink, but even after aggressively attempting to shrink the shirt it remains a true Extra Large. So, if a student is selecting that new clay color, I would probably advise them to just take their normal shirt size.

I realize this is some pretty inconsequential feedback, but I thought I would pass it along anyways. I get a new shirt when I come back on Dec 3rd, right? See you folks then!

goodoldfriend

T. Wolf,

I remember my first Appleseed and being introduced to the GI sling. I struggled through the event with the same thing. Be persistent with your practice and it will become second nature. If you didn't shoot the 210 yet don't despair. It took me 3 Appleseed events and lots of practice on my own to meet the mark. I also had to tweak equipment a little. In fact, I still need to move the scope on my rifle a little bit more in order to get the consistent turkey neck and cheek weld.

It is worth the time and effort. I learned so much about myself and shooting.

Hit these forums for help too. There are many here who will be glad to help.

Best regards,
Goodoldfriend
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

T. WOLF

T. WOLF

love your signature, by the way.
this pretty much sums up the case, right?

Quote1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

happy to be following in your footsteps.

-Travis

goodoldfriend

More like we are walking together as friends. Learning and helping each other.

Project Appleseed is one of the best investments I have made in myself and others.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Corvette

Wow, sounds like a fantastic weekend for all.  T Wolf, don't dispair, some of us took five Appleseeds to shed our bad habits and get it right. One of the most important traits of a Rifleman is persistence.

Huzzah!!

Corvette
Ohio SC
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!