News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

** The 6th Annual Michigan IBC - February 24-26, 2017 in Lansing, MI **

Started by SteelThunder, October 18, 2016, 01:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

The 6th annual Michigan IBC will be held on February 24-26, 2017 at the Capital Area Sportsmen's League in Lansing, MI. 

Seriously, folks...this is your single, best opportunity to meet a large portion of the Michigan cadre and talk, share stories, and learn from them.

What is an IBC?  An IBC is an intense, drink-from-the-firehose, weekend of interactive classwork (indoors, all weekend), where all instructors will get plenty of hands-on instruction and mentoring, while building friendships and camaraderie.   You shouldn't have any fear/trepidation about attending.  Bring the skills you have, and be ready to learn.  You WILL learn a lot, and have fun.  You will learn more about "how" to instruct at a weekend IBC than you can learn working a summer-full of Appleseed events.  IT IS WORTH YOUR TIME!!!

Capital Area Sportsmen's League
7534 Old River Trail  Lansing, MI 48917

Our mission is serious: the urgency of saving the country, and everyone's safety at our events.  That being said, if you're not having fun doing this, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Click here for directions or more information about the Capital Area Sportsmen's League

Anyone who wears an RWVA hat is invited to attend.  Border raiders are more than welcome to attend.  Anyone who might be interested in wearing one of those funny-looking RWVA hats is welcome to attend, but please PM me so we can discuss.  Attendance is strongly encouraged.  All the cool kids will be there so we might as well say attendance is mandatory.   ~~:)  If you are unable to attend, please PM me to work out alternate arrangements.

Everyone should register on Eventbite so we can track attendance and plan accordingly.  To Register, CLICK HERE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who Should Come?

Blue Hats - get to know the instructor corps, see what goes on "behind the scenes," learn how to help run a safe event, learn/practice the points of instruction and history in case you might want to change your hat color in the future.  We want you doing POIs, breakouts, troubleshooting - everything!

Orange Hats - this is a great way to get a leg up for 2017.  You'll have ample opportunities to practice and polish your points of instruction, safety, and history skills.

Red Hats - we need you!  Our ideal ratio is 1 Red Hat for every 2 Orange Hats.  Plus, this event will help to shake out the winter cobwebs that may have grown on your perishable skills plus you'll have the duty to help our IITs gain the skills they need.

Shoot Bosses - You are our mentors!  ALL Shoot Bosses should be at this event.  This may be the only time we have such a large gathering of our cadre, and it's a great opportunity to make friends, build our team, forge relationships and get our group ready for the upcoming season.

What Are The Logistics?

Capital Area Sportsmen's League
7534 Old River Trail  Lansing, MI 48917
GPS: N 42° 45' 45.63"     W 84° 39' 42.45"
Click here for directions or more information about the Capital Area Sportsmen's League

Lansing is right in the middle of the state, 80 miles up I-69 from the Indiana state line, and only 120 miles from where US23 crosses the Ohio state line near Toledo.

We will be in the main hall (it seats 250 people, so we'll have plenty of room).  Please plan to sleep at the club (female attendees will have the option to use separate quarters).  We WILL have a separate "snorers" location.

There will be no shooting, but there will be rifle familiarization - AR15, M1 Garand, M1A, AK, 10/22, 597 and 795. 

Basic Agenda:
  • Friday evening - (attendance optional) (optional) - Club will be open to attendees starting at 2 PM.  We will have a special instruction event from 6 PM to 9 PM.  Ask anyone who has been to this previously and seen our basic medical training...it is worth your time!!
  • Saturday - 8 AM until bed time (if you're arriving Saturday morning, please plan to arrive no later than 7:30 AM)  POI and safety breakouts all day, effective public speaking presented by Graywolf
  • Sunday - 8 AM to 5 PM.  History, rifle familiarization, LibertySeeds, troubleshooting, KD

Meals:  Food, snacks, water and coffee will be provided, but feel free to bring your own if you have special dietary requirements.  Please - no alcoholic beverages!
   Friday (optional) - freeform, TBD (everyone pays their own way)
   Saturday - breakfast, lunch, dinner
   Sunday - breakfast, lunch

Cost: Tentatively set at $35, payable at the door (this will be updated as we get closer).  This covers meals, snacks and water for the weekend, and a "range fee" of $5 for CASL for the use of their banquet hall.

What Should You Bring?

• Just like we ask our students, a teachable attitude is vital.
  • Any teaching materials you normally bring to an AS
  • An instructor manual
  • A notebook or pad of paper and pens/pencils
  • A dummy rifle, if you have one
  • Your copy of Paul Revere's Ride
  • A memory stick if you want electronic copies of our files
  • A video camera to record yourself in the breakout sessions - trust us, this will be an eye-opener for you
  • Open or concealed carry of handguns is welcome, and even encouraged, however a level-2 retention holster is required.  Level 2 retention means some kind of device that locks the handgun in the holster, not just the friction/fit of the holster.

How Should You Prepare?

Blue Hats:

Orange Hats:Red Hats:

• Be ready to discuss all aspects of the history - prelims, strikes, DOMs, etc
  • Read the current Instructor Manual - click HERE to download a pdf of the current manual
  • You will be running/assisting in the breakout sessions. PMs with details will be forthcoming
  • You have no need for that cheat sheet, right?   :cool2:
  • Make sure your POIs are sharp.  DON'T "wing it"

Shoot Bosses:

Please check in here occasionally for updates.  Thanks!  We'll see you all in February!

To Register, >>>CLICK HERE<<<

Aerial map - showing where we'll be:

To Register, >>>CLICK HERE<<<[/list]
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

DragonMedic

Already registered and in my calendar.
I should be there on Friday this year. Do you want Wizard and I to coordinate on POI for that day?

Charles McKinley

I strongly encourage all to attend this well ran, informative and FUN event!

If the politics and hassles of the outside world have drained you come and recharge and refresh yourself with like minded people on a mission.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

.50calgrl

The Redcoats are coming!  ;D There are a couple of us from Canada who will be attending. We are just on our way home from doing the Texas IBC and are looking forward to seeing all our friends in Michigan.

Let us know if there is anything special that you would like us to bring.

See you next month!

Kelly (AKA .50calgrl)
Qualified Rifleman 3/2016 Battle Creek Michigan (Winterseed: 216, 215, 218)
Qualified Mapleseed Rifleman Winterseed 226

SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

.50calgrl

.50calgrl

The Redcoats are coming!

One month away and this thread is quiet...

DragonMedic I am looking forward to meeting you. I met Wizard recently at the IBC in Texas and he was saying you are going to be showing us some first aid skills.

Wizard, I hope you are still coming! Actually we are looking forward to seeing everyone and telling them about Mapleseed that is happening North of the Border!

Please let me know if there is anything you all would like us to bring? All Dressed Chips and Rockets are a favourite of some of you. Rascal21 I have already started a stash for you.

Seriously, please let me know if there is anything special you would all like.

See you in a few weeks!

Kelly, Kevin and Mario (AKA: .50calgrl, Redcoat72, Montrealshooter or the Mapleseed Gang)

SteelThunder

Wait...can you smell that?  That's the smell of LIBERTY  :F  (or maybe it's Italian Sausage with grilled peppers and onions...but is there a difference, really?)

We're 3 weeks out from the Michigan IBC and we're currently up to 45 attendees!  Some great border raiders on tap, too, coming from Ohio, Kentucky and Canada.  Whoo-hoo!!

<statecoordinatorshootbossvoice> If you're thinking about coming, SIGN UP VIA EVENTBRITE NOW (!!!!) </statecoordinatorshootbossvoice>  We're in the final planning stages of getting food and materials together and we need to lock down a number.

A bit more about logistics and what you need to think about:

• If you are a Red Hat/Green Hat -- bring the following:  White board and markers, mats, laser rifles.  Vitally important.
  • Our Friday night special program will once again be on basic medical skills appropriate for issues at an Appleseed.  This year, DragonMedic will be giving us his knowledge to supplement the wonderful past-years presentations from Wizard.
  • Snipette is graciously pulling together the food items for the week.  It isn't easy to bring food together for this many people (and make everyone happy) but Brenda is driving it.  Please note that there will likely be nuts, eggs, other potential allergens on the menu during the weekend.  Heads up if this is an issue for you and so you can make other accommodations
  • As in past years, the clubhouse will be available to "indoors-camp".  You are responsible for cots, sleeping bags, etc.  These need to be cleaned up and stowed each day prior to the program starting.

Back by popular demand is the GREAT WHITE NORTH SWAP MEET -- bring your history/heritage/shooting items to buy/sell/trade.  Here are some ground rules:

• Only AS-relevant items.  No beanie babies, beef jerky, scented candles.  NO MODERN-ish POLITICS in the items.  This is Appleseed and not Bubba's gun show down at the VFW.
  • All items will need to be tagged with the owner, pricing, other relevant info.
  • The official swap meet is on Saturday night after hours.  You can have your items out for others to look at but THE SWAP MEET CANNOT INTERFERE WITH THE COURSE OF INSTRUCTION for the weekend.  Infractions (dawdling over items during instruction period, deal making when we should be Appleseeding) will cause me to shut down the swap meet for the weekend...don't make me turn this car around!

Other than that, I hope you are as excited as I am for the event.  This is my 6th IBC and I've learned something every time...hope you do too.
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Oz

Quote from: SteelThunder on February 05, 2017, 11:52:33 PM
Preview of our Friday evening medical instruction?

https://www.facebook.com/SBSVICELAND/videos/874560215971943/

I had a written note from the class 2 years ago to always keep a small styrofoam cooler and ice tucked into my boot--now I remember why!
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

SteelThunder

There's just over 1 week to go until the 6th Annual Michigan IBC on February 24-26, 2017 at the Capital Area Sportsmen's League in Lansing, MI.  We have 49 people signed up...just 1 more to 50.  LET'S DO THIS!!  <statecoordinatorshootbossvoice> If you're thinking about coming, SIGN UP VIA EVENTBRITE NOW (!!!!) </statecoordinatorshootbossvoice>

Sign up via Eventbrite and mark it in your calendar.  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=49846.0

A final-ish reminder about logistics and what you need to think about:

• $30 for food PLUS $5 for range fee
  • The Friday night special program is really worth it.  Wizard has gracefully agreed to have DragonMedic transfer his medical knowledge to us -- useful for Appleseeds, useful for your daily life!
  • "Indoor camping" is available in the clubhouse.  You supply everything but the roof over your head, heat and bathroom facilities.  After that, you're roughing it so be prepared...all must be policed up prior to the start of the day's activities.
  • If you are a Red Hat/Green Hat -- bring the following:  White board and markers, mats, laser rifles.  Vitally important.
  • Read the "to dos" in the IBC thread to know how you should prepare.  Remember, this isn't a test or high pressure event...it is, however, an intense weekend of learning.  You will be challenged and given tools of improvement in a safe, encouraging environment.
  • Snipette is organizing the food for the weekend.  Please note that there will likely be nuts, eggs, other potential allergens on the menu during the weekend.  Heads up if this is an issue for you and so you can make other accommodations
  • Don't forget about the SWAP MEET.  Again, "bidnez" can only be conducted after hours and must not interfere with the instruction period.  You're welcome to have stuff out but let's stay on point
  • Saturday night will hold some fun events including a Trivia Night and Safe Rifle competition

See you there.

Your loving but relatively indifferent State Coordinator,
SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Captain America

Jenna and I are getting really exited (and really nervous, too, as it seems we don't know as much as we'd like too at this point)! I have the whole weekend off from work. I'd like to figure out how to build an NPOA laser training "rifle". I can bring a 10/22 stock, but if anyone has the additional parts needed handy (sling mounts, sling, laser, etc) I would love the chance to buy them from you. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Chris aka "Cap"

goodoldfriend

I am nervous too as I am a "newb" to the instructor ranks.

I guess I was able to sip from the fire hose once before so I will be ready to gulp (drown) again.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Rascal21

Will depend on what kind of swivel mounts you are looking for? I have some Studs and Swivels that you can have for $7. :)

Stacy

Quote from: Captain America on February 22, 2017, 07:14:39 PM
Jenna and I are getting really exited (and really nervous, too, as it seems we don't know as much as we'd like too at this point)! I have the whole weekend off from work. I'd like to figure out how to build an NPOA laser training "rifle". I can bring a 10/22 stock, but if anyone has the additional parts needed handy (sling mounts, sling, laser, etc) I would love the chance to buy them from you. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Chris aka "Cap"

Captain America

Quote from: Rascal21 on February 23, 2017, 12:42:50 PM
Will depend on what kind of swivel mounts you are looking for? I have some Studs and Swivels that you can have for $7. :)

Stacy

I guess whatever fits on the stock? Bring them and if they work I'll buy them!
Quote from: Captain America on February 22, 2017, 07:14:39 PM
Chris aka "Cap"

.50calgrl

Canadian contingent (part of it anyway) is on the move! See you all tomorrow!

Kelly aka .50calgrl

D.O.M.

Whoohoo!  ^:)^
Fly-Boy and I are packing the diesel Appleseed-mobile. We'll see you guys and gals Friday night!

"Newbs"; this will be an amazing weekend! My first IBC was one of the best times ever. You won't regret it!

Except for the snoring... you might regret the snoring  **)
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73