News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Watervliet, MI October 15-16, 2016

Started by Rascal21, October 14, 2016, 09:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal21

Oz

Wow--what a weekend at Watervliet!  It was great to meet and work with you all.  We had everything from experienced Appleseeders consistently shooting score, new Appleseeders earning their patches the first time, and folks who are taking the instruction well and will get there with patience and persistence.   It was a fantastic weekend for me--I hope for you as well. 

I work late tonight and probably will not be able to post everything I'm thinking until Tuesday night but don't let that stop others from posting up.  I know there must be some photos up there, so let's see them!  After all...

:pics:

Your ever-lovin' grateful Shoot Boss for the weekend...  Oz
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Oz

It was quite a weekend at Watervliet.  Eighteen students, ten instructors, schedules changing on the fly, thunderstormsâ€"and at the end of it, six students had scored Rifleman a total of 27 (not a typo, 27) times!  And Michigan has a new Red Hat!

Robâ€"you shot Rifleman on every AQT!  Eight times!  Craigâ€"seven times (and a pesky 209 on the rapid fire AQT)!  Matt--five times! Katie and Brad--three times each! Alex once!  And three of you were at your first Appleseed! 

Paul, you soaked up the instruction (I should expect that from a teacher, right?) and were so close with a 208!  I hope we see you again.  (You can also catch up with Zazzles in school if you want to brainstorm!)

Dwayne and Carol, it was a real pleasure to work with you on the line. 

Iva, thank you so much for coming out.  I wish you'd been able to stay for Sunday, and I hope we will see you again. 

Glenn and Patrice, you have an awesome family!  You must be so proud of Katie and Alex.  One of the highlights of my weekend was hearing "We shoot better than dad!"  Which is saying something, with Glenn consistently scoring in the 190sâ€"centerfire!  And Katie and Alexâ€"don't rest on your laurels.  With practice you will continue to improve even more!

Maggie, the absolute highlight of my weekend was hearing you say how much you enjoyed your weekend.  Thank you for coming out and representing the 4-H Straight Shooters.  I know we will see you againâ€"keep an eye out for the schedule!

Phil, Dan, Sully, Brian and Joeâ€"I couldn't ask for a better group of folks on the line.  It was a privilege meeting and working with you. 

Thank you to Watervliet Rod & Gun Club for hosting another fantastic event, and to the 4-H Straight Shooters for putting on hot lunch both days! 

Finallyâ€"a big thanks to my instructor corps, who spent their time on their bellies with the students helping them learn rifle marksmanship, and who shared their knowledge of American heritage.  I was pleased beyond words to be honored to present a well-earned Red Hat to my friend D.S.S., and to welcome Captain America and Steel Jenna to the team.  (Quick, pick a name, before folks start repeating "Steel Jenna"!   @) )

Thank you all for sharing an incredible weekend with me!  Practice, practice, practice your marksmanship, think about what you've inherited and your role in creating history, and I hope to see each of you a little ways down the trail!  (Come back!  Bring friends!)  And post up, tell us how we did!  (It's the only way we'll learn!   :pop: )

Oz

"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

SteelThunder

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

D.S.S.

I don't want to simply repeat all that's been said already. I will say thanks to everyone who sacrificed your full weekend, weather and all, to come out and spend quality time with other like-minded Americans. I'm deeply honored that I was able to earn my Red Hat with all of you. Thanks for putting up with a full day of hearing mostly my voice.

D.S.S.
"Somehow, it is OK for little Johnny to shoot and kill in a gory bloody mess aliens and humans alike, but it is absolutely evil to actually shoot at a paper target at a range."  --Marco Vorobiev

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be.  --Thomas Jefferson

Aim small...miss small! --The Patriot (movie)

Ace Freeman

Oz, thanks for running an awesome Appleseed.  Our group had an awesome time.  Thanks to you and your crew of instructors and support staff.  You made all the Detroit'ers feel welcomed.  We all appreciated the outstanding instruction and personal attention your crew provided.  Especially thankful for the extra care and training given to the new newer shooters in our group. 

The history of April 19, 1775 was presented very well.  My group all commented on how informative and motivational the lectures were.

Also thanks for working through the rainy weather.  The canopies over the firing line were a blessing. 

My group were also very impressed with the wonderful Waterlviet Range and the Club facilities.  They were top notch!  And the 4H lunches were excellent and appreciated.

I don't know how you and your crew could have made our Appleseed experience any better.  Job well done!  Recommend to promote you and your enitre staff. 

Thanks Again!

Positive vibes and well wishes to you and your entire instructional crew!

Quotes from some of the Detroit'ers
Tahas -
I would just like to say thank you for including me in my first Appleseed it was a great experience I loved every minute of it from Rob I got the shingle to Dan there something wrong with my gun and Country taking a public shower for his first 210.  I had a great time itwas fantastic!

Harley -
I had a great time shooting with everyone and hope there lots more down the road.

Carrinton -
Appleseed 2016 yeah baby!

Ace Freeman

Photos