News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

10/22 question from Appleseed newbie

Started by Hefe2019, October 10, 2016, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hefe2019

Hello all-
I recently took my 11yo son to his (and mine) first Appleseed shoot at Sanner's Lake. First, let me say what a fantastic experience it was!! We both had a great time as did my son's fellow Boy Scouts who attended.
My question relates to my son's inability to be able to support my scoped, wood stock 10/22 adequately during the standing and sitting/kneeling portions of the event. He's a pretty skinny kid and we had to make some concessions and let him shoot prone/supported with sandbags. Aside from getting him to lift some weights ;-)....I'm trying to set him up with a synthetic stock 10/22.
I have looked at both the Archangel AAP1022 and the Magpul Hunter X22 stocks. The Archangel looks good in terms of its adjustability, but I'm nt familiar with the quality of this product nor its appropriateness for Appleseed. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket synthetic 10/22 stocks they would be willing to share?
Thanks!

stoneknives

Many good variations of making a Liberty Training Rifle you can find here in the Appleseed web site and in the Appleseed newsletter. Here is a link to my basic LTR rifle that I use as a loaner for our Appleseed events.

https://floridaprojectappleseed.blogspot.com/2015/06/liberty-teaching-rifle.html

This design has worked out well and I'm cloning it for an additional loaner. Give me a yell if you have any questions.   
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

ITB

My daughter started Appleseeding with me when she was 11.  She, too, was sleight of build and had problems supporting the regular rifles.

I built her a completely custom 10/22.  The two biggest weight-saving components were the Boyds SS evolution stock, and the Whistlepig barrel (looks like a bull barrel, but it's a steel sleeve in aluminum).  Nice side benefit of the stock is that it's ambidextrous - she's a lefty and I'm a righty.

Even with the scope, it only weighs 6 lbs.

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Texas T

I have a lightweight 10/22 with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. I believe that it was referred to as a "compact" or "youth" when I got it a couple of years ago. I put a lightweight and inexpensive Simmons .22 scope on it, and it appears to be quite light. I drilled a hole in the buttstock to attach a stud and put a barrel-band type attachment on the front end. You might go to a couple of gun stores and see what they have in stock and how the weight feels to your son.

Overall, I had to put a pad on the stock to make it long enough for me to shoot. I got it for my wife, but she doesn't have a lot of interest, so I made it my Appleseed rifle. With the shorter length of pull (distance from the end of the stock to the trigger), I believe that it might be just about right for a younger shooter. I also had to put some foam on the stock to raise my eye far enough to get a good scope view.

Hope some of this helps.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

DrRichP

The Archangel AAP1022 is one of my all-time favorite stocks; however it does not shave weight. It is a weighty, sturdily built stock. Great for adults.

For children, Ruger makes a 10/22 compact (http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Compact/models.html). I would recommend that. It has a smaller stock and a shorter barrel. What's nice is as he grows you can get another stock (used Ruger 10/22 stocks can be had for ~$20) and leave the action and barrel as is.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Charles McKinley

I like it the Blackhawk Axiom if you are going to restock your 10/22 for him.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2157287396/blackhawk-knoxx-axiom-r-f-adjustable-length-of-pull-rifle-stock-ruger-10-22-synthetic.

If you have a band saw and a resp it isn't that hard to custom fab a youth stock.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

TimBeatty

I use the Blackhawk Axiom stock for a loaner because it fits any shooter. 
Tim Beatty

FiremanBob

The Axxiom is a good solution. So is the Ruger Compact stock. As said above, both the Magpul and the Archangel are way too heavy, and long. Reducing the length of pull so that he is properly balanced with the rifle, with proper hand placement on the stock, will help even more than reducing the weight.

Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

CSM00

Quote from: Charles McKinley on October 10, 2016, 07:53:58 PM
I like it the Blackhawk Axiom if you are going to restock your 10/22 for him.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2157287396/blackhawk-knoxx-axiom-r-f-adjustable-length-of-pull-rifle-stock-ruger-10-22-synthetic.

If you have a band saw and a resp it isn't that hard to custom fab a youth stock.

2nd this stock.  I think its the lightest 10/22 stock easily available.  It free floats the barrel, has adjustable LOP, and isnt over the top expensive.  Add in an ar15 cheek riser and its close to perfect.  Main issue is that it does flex a bit and with a factory barrel makes the rifle front heavy.

A friend of mine has multiple wrist  / strength issues.  A stock 10/22 feels heavy and unbalanced, so I dug around to see what I could put together.

With that stock, a Beyer 16" factory profile barrel  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ruger-10-22-ultralight-target-barrel-prod31761.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=BEYER+BARRELS , cheap Simmons 4x scope (~9oz + rings), sling/swivels/etc. it comes in 4lb, 5oz.   Downside is that the barrel cost as much as a 10/22

Hefe2019

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer your thoughts and experiences, I truly appreciate it! I decided to go with the Axiom stock and am going to set it up with the same glass my son is used to shooting--a Nikon BDC Rimfire 3-9x40mm
I already picked up a used 10/22 that came with a not so good Archangel 556 stock and the original wood stock. I'll take the guts out and build my son's new rifle from this.
I can't wait for the new parts to come in!
Thanks again folks!!