News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hot Springs, AR September 24-25, 2016

Started by 9mm4545, September 26, 2016, 11:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

The gorgeous range at Mountain Valley Sportsman Association in Hot Springs hosted its first Appleseed event over an unseasonably hot and humid weekend and a rousing success it was! The line was completely full with some 20 eager students primed and ready to learn heritage and marksmanship. After the usual confusion of getting everyone checked in and organized, the first Redcoat target of the weekend showed that improvements could indeed be made. As each element of marksmanship was taught, demonstrated, and practiced, the group sizes steadily shrunk and proficiency improved by leaps and bounds. By lunchtime rifles were zeroed, positions were getting more solid and the fine tuning of rifle fit was well underway. As we ate a delicious lunch of grilled burgers and dogs under a lovely shaded pavilion (thanks Ted!), ResQ John started the students down Battle Road on a April morning over two centuries ago. Rambo Granny continued with the fight as it moved to Concord telling the Second Strike of the Match. Refreshed and somewhat cooled down, the students returned to the sun and began adding positions other than prone to their training. At each step along the way, "solid position", "Six Steps", and "NPOA" was a familiar background.  Rapid fire became a necessity as the time limits were reduced and transitions were introduced. After a well deserved break out of the sun where we heard the Third Strike and the British retreat to Boston by 9mm4545 and towards the end of the first day, the first AQT was offered for the opportunity to earn a coveted Rifleman patch. Although there were several "close but not quite enough" scores, no new Riflemen were revealedâ€"yet.
Sunday began just as hot as the day before but our shooters took in stride and after a quick review of the basics, got down to some hot and heavy shooting. The previous day's heat had thinned the ranks a bit but those that survived came back with new determination and a willingness to learn. By lunch everyone was warmed up (well, melting was closer to the truth) and we took the opportunity to hear about people like Samuel Whittemore, David Lamson, Hezikiah Wyman, Sybil Luddington, and Molly Pitcher. We heard how one person can make a difference and how heroes are revealed in times of crisis. The afternoon was a blur of AQT's and continued improvement. Again, there were many who were "knocking on the door" but Steve managed to kick the door down with a solid Rifleman score and then a repeat using his trusty AR-15. Nice work, sir! We may have been an "irate tireless minority" but the brushfires of freedom were blazing brightly in Hot Springs by the last shot on Sunday. Huzzah!
Many thanks for the excellent support and gracious hosting by MVSA. You guys rock! And thanks to everyone who came out to learn, and thanks to the instructors who came out to share their knowledge and expertise. It was truly our honor to serve as your instructors. Until next time, be safe--and shoot straight.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Res"Q"John

Great weekend for Project Appleseed in Hot Springs, Arkansas!
"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry

Clayk59

I had a great time.  Already signed up for Harrisburg. Hope to see ya'll there

Clay

sticksnstones

I couldn't add a whole lot to what 9mm4545 wrote. To start, it was great seeing such a diverse group of folks. Our youngest was 11 and another youngster was well into his 80's (he was at the German blockade). The heat was our biggest enemy but most trudged through without much complaint. Everyone came with a teachable attitude and soaked up the information.
Several were determined to use certain equipment, as 2 shot old bolt action .22 trainers and another shot an old 1903 A3. I'm wondering if David's shoulder is still on ice.
Everyone was a joy to meet and get to know. A great bunch of folks. Thanks again to our out of state instructors, Rambo Granny and 9mm4545. I look forward to seeing you all on the trail
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

Rev.357

Great event.  I hope the next one is when we are visiting Grandma and Grandpa Kingery in Hot Springs.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

Texas T

Sounds like a great shoot. Congrats to Steve, our new rifleman!   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Hypoxic11

Alas, I was one of those that fell victim to the heat - as well as arthritis - and didn't return on Sunday. It was a wonderful learning experience and will certainly attend another session in the future.  In the meantime, I will be on the living room floor, working on NPOA!!  Thank you, instructor and staff!

KPUC

Thanks to all who showed up and let me be a 1st time ITT.  I had a great time working the line.  The two guys that I dragged out with me from North Little Rock said that they will be at another shoot sometime soon.
216 at Bald Knob, AR on 1/17/16
A rifleman persists; it took me six Appleseeds, a number of equipment changes and a trip to the eye doctor to qualify.  Pumpkinseed is my only daughter.

sticksnstones

I will post pics once I'm able to get in front of my computer. This shoot was a blast. Thanks to all that participated and those that helped instruct. I can't say enough about 9mm4545 and Rambo Granny. Y'all made the day flow well. A special thanks to Ted, Jim and the other range members that welcomed us and those that participated. Ted that was a great burger.
Saying that we only made one rifleman, might fool folks, because we had some great shooters that made great improvements while we were there.  Next time we will have a bigger and better group of instructors so that we get more one on one time.
Arkansas' program will not fail on my watch.
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

Valkyrie25

Great weekend in Hot Springs. Awesome Range. Ted and Jim where perfect hosts.
Thanks to 9mm4545 and Rambo granny for coming. I learned a lot this weekend
Great group of shooters, hope to see some of them back next weekend in Harrisburg
Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves

Abraham Lincoln

Res"Q"John

More pics!
"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry

Lucky Lori

Sounds  like  a  great  weekend   Thanks  to  shoot boss bruce   and   red  hat   Janet   who  traveled  and  came  from  mid  florida   to   run  this  event .   What  dedication  they  showed  !!  Hope  to  see you  again  soon.

9mm4545

I edited the photo of our newest Rifleman so that you can see his smiling face. Congratulations to Steve!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

9mm4545

One more try...