News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lapeer, Mi Sep 17 AAR

Started by Caliper, September 20, 2016, 08:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliper

What? Is it Wednesday already? Bad SB!  ~~:)

Sep 17 marks a first for the Lapeer County Sportsmans club! Ok, we've been having Appleseed shoots there for years. But, we've only ever used the rifle range as a Sunday "treat". That's gotta change...   ;)

So, instead of staying at 25yd in the pistol bays (where we usually shoot) we went out and spent the whole day on the rifle range. :--- After a quick review of the fundamentals, we took those 22's out to 100yd! Using the 100yd D target, we were able to shoot a rimfire KD AQT to get everyone's feet wet with distance shooting. While there wasn't any wind on Saturday to get the full flavor of distance shooting, making sight adjustments at different distances adds something to the AQT. Plus, the wonderful delay as that 22 travels 100yd to *thwack* on the backer. :cool2: It makes instructors gleeful! Finally, finished up with some standard 25yd AQT's.

Newell and James, congrats on requalifying! Next time, we'll get you qualified on the KD side!
Aiden, awesome shooting! You're running right next to the adults on a challenging course. In a few years time you'll be outpacing those "old guys" easily!
John/WhitePine, you are right on the edge of getting that patch! Practice and get comfortable with your NPOA and your scores will make that final step.

Caliper

aaaaaannnnnd, time for the pics!  ..:..

Newell with that great 223 point score

Jim with a 215 and the requal!

Riflemen doing what they do best

Shooting off our hind legs  :)

The instructors fully engaged!

WhitePine

It was a great day of instruction,  i know that i improved greatly.  The changing distance is indeed an interesting and challenging twist on the AQT,  i always like a good challenge and feel i learn more that way.  The course of fire was well thought out, moved quickly, with minimal time spent walking out to pull targets. Total rounds count was 214 The instruction was excellent and we had a great ratio of instructors to students. Instructors did a excellent job telling the three strikes with great passion.   I do believe that offering this type of event in the future will be a great service to all who give it a go.  In the future it would be beneficial if the firing line arrangement could  keep all of the targets in the same order at all of the different distances to avoid confusion for those shooting, but i don't know if it could be done on the Lapeer range. 

Thanks to Caliper and the instructors for putting on an excellent event.  I hope to see this type of event offered again in the future.