News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru, CA 09/17/16 - 09/18/16

Started by whangdoodle, September 20, 2016, 04:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whangdoodle

It was another hot one at Piru this weekend. Probably the last heater of the year. 21 shooters joined us on the line on Saturday. Couples, families, and riflemen made up an eclectic group. Must be a rumor we put on a good show cause we had shooters from as far as San Diego. It was also fantastic to see familiar faces in the crowd. From returning riflemen to riflemen to be.
     The excitement started early. Luckily, we had Louise ready to spring into action. The more experienced appleseeders may have noticed the morning going slowly. The instructors were making sure everyone was safe and taking in the instruction. By the time we finished our first AQT of they day, it was 1:30 and stomachs were grumbling. Stories were told to great effect. The instructors strive to stir up emotion in the crowd but inevitably, we stir ourselves up. It just shows how much is all means to us. The story hat might have something to do with it also.
     With full stomachs and hearts, we proceeded to the AQTs. Through, the midst, a rifleman stood out. Chris showed us that a rifleman can pick up any rifle and shoot a score. With a brand new to him, unfired, untested rifle, Chris re-earned his patch. He had a bunch so we gave him a purple one.
     In the early light of Sunday morning, groans and bones creaking could be heard across the land. How many would hazard another day at Piru? The answer is 13. Thirteen brave souls showed up in high spirits. Every youth shooter returned as well, though I doubt they were as sore as their parents. Review and AQTs. That's the name of the game on Sunday. We take the whipped cream and wring em through the AQT grind.
     We had another rifleman score on Sunday. A.P. was able to backup his previous Appleseed score after sorting out his rifles. He learned his equipment and made it his. Chris continued killing it. The day wore on, the heat intensified, and I found out first hand why some shooters were yelping during prep. Pro tip: cover the barrel of your rifle from the sun. When it kisses your neck in prep, you're not gonna have a good time. My girlish squeal was not a proud moment.
     In the end, our two returning riflemen had backed up their scores. Two youth shooters M.P. and Sam shot sharpshooter. A great time was had by all, lessons were learned, and joy rides were taken. Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

crobjones2

A big thank you to the instructors and to Erich the IIT. It was a hot weekend with the temperature above 100 both days. Despite the grueling temps we all persevered, with good instruction and an emotional first strike delivered by Erich, the weary souls that returned on sunday showed much improvement.
Being an accomplished rifleman, I have begun traveling a little further away to hear the stories told by different people and to receive different instruction. I had learned something new while watching a fellow marksman during a ball and dummy drill, I was also able to see an issue that he was having and offered a suggestion and a fix, he wasn't making a good cheek weld as he had to keep raising his head off the rifle to look into the scope. I suggested adding a piece of foam to he stock to raise the comb height, to which he tried and it improved his accuracy.
The backstory to the challenge...
At a previous appleseed, at my local range, I shot three different rifles/types, all of which I had shot before. Only one of them had I not shot rifleman score with, primarily due to the conditions the that I had brought it out previously, it was windy and dust fouled the action. I shot score with a bolt action 22, a 10/22, and a 308. I asked one of the instructors for a challenge, as I felt that it was becoming to easy. He mentioned either trying to shoot with someone else's rifle. I really don't like to mess with other peoples equipment, so I set out to find and purchase a used rifle. I found a 10/22 with a scope that was in good shape. I bought it, put it in jail for 10 days, and from the store it went into the safe untouched. I was unsure if it had a front sling mount, so I purchased the kit for the ruger. Prior to the event, I mentioned to the instructor that I would need to add the swivel as the only modification prior to me shooting it. After the redcoats, I did add some foam to the stock because the scope is mounted with high rings.
I won't say everything went smoothly. The first redcoats, I only had three shots on paper. I assumed they were from the 400yd and made a major scope adjustment (160 clicks down, 32 right). much closer. And having never touched the rifle, during the transition to seated instruction, I noticed the eye relief was off a bit, then the scope fell off... made repairs and sight adjustments and was back in the black.
The story of the purple patch was that I wanted something different. I thought about just ordering one. at a previous event I had asked about receiving one, but was told they were for the ladyseeds and nobody really had them unless I went to the CA home range. The patch I received it my version of a challenge coin and will be affixed to my shooting jacket and worn with pride. I know it will be a conversation piece and will be a great story to tell of the appleseed program. Thanks Dan!
Onto achieving a couple other goals, repeating at a KD, breaking 240, eventually scoring 250. and when life allows continuing on the tradition.
Again, Thank you Bob, Dan, and Erich
Chris