News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco, GA (West Georgia Youth Range) September 17

Started by franklinfarmer, September 19, 2016, 10:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklinfarmer

We had beautiful weather for a brave young lady, Jenny, who battled through instruction from four instructors.  V and WorM2 told of the conflicts arising between the rulers in England and some independent minded colonists around Boston.  They also covered General Gage's plan to keep the peace and how it really started to fall apart at the seams one April Spring day.  All people in all societies have some liberty, but these people were not going to let their liberty decrease.  What about us? 

In between we sent a few rounds downrange and learned some skills in honor of the brave colonists.  Jenny took her out-of-the box 10-22 and started with 40 plus MOA "groups," turning them into solid 8 or 12 MOA groups by the end of the day.  We hope we didn't overwhelm her too much and she'll come back to get them down to 4 MOA at another clinic...and bring her father back with a rifle to see what he can do! 

Thanks and a note of admiration go out to a former participant, Robbie, who was patient with my ignoring (unintentionally---I just try to avoid computers) his emails for over two years and tracked me down at the shoot to make a donation of his 10-22 with tech sights as an Appleseed loaner.  I told Robbie, I would put the rifle to good use, and it reminded me of a forum post of the old V (the California V, that is).  He said he had a fancy (and expensive) bolt action rifle that could make 8 inch groups at 1000 yards, no problem.  But he came to realize that the fancy rifle had never done nearly as much to increase anyone's liberty as his loaner 10-22s. 

I was pleased to see that WorM2 has retained his skills, turning in an AQT handily at 227.  And after clean-up WyKnott took the center out of V's target with his fancy new .308 pretty clearly showing up her brother and father.

Huzzah to Jenny for being exceptionally safe and attentive,  Huzzah to her father for bringing her out, and Huzzah to my fellow instructors for sharing your time and expertise.
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

DrJohn

Jenny may not be able to appreciate this, but there are certain Appleseed events where the instructor to student ratio is not even close to what she experienced during the event at Waco. If she were available for me to ask directly, I would inquire if too much of a good thing is...good? Jenny, I hope you enjoyed the event thoroughly, and that you will bring your father and everyone else you know to our next Appleseed event. Thank you for your support, and may Liberty increase forever!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....