News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Safety Alert: S&W M&P 15-22 Rifles Not Allowed at Appleseeds

Started by Guntuckian, September 16, 2016, 03:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guntuckian

PLEASE READ -- students with Smith & Wesson MP15-22 rifles
(15th September, 2016) As directed by our national office, effective immediately, Project Appleseed will not be allowing S&W MP15-22 rifles on the line at any of its events until further notice. This follows an unusual number of out-of-battery discharge incidents at our events involving this model.

We cannot be certain of the actual cause and we are in close contact with the manufacturer to investigate this issue. However, while we wait for guidance from the manufacturer, we would be remiss in not taking preventative action, as safety of our students and instructors and their families is paramount.

If this poses a problem for any of our students, please contact us. We can usually arrange a loaner rifle, free of charge. If this is unacceptable or impossible, we will be glad to transfer or refund your registration.

We will keep you updated on this issue as it develops. Please feel free to contact us for clarification.
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

KY Marine Angel 1

Guntuckian

Not yet.  I have spoken with a V.P. at S&W, about an OOBD I witnessed, and they are also examining rifles that have exhibited OOBDs.

I expect a resolution will be forthcoming.  As soon as I hear anything, I will post a follow-up.

- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Rev.357

Thanks for following thru on this, Gary. It will be good to get to the resolution stage of this interaction. Thanks for all you do, and for the manner in which you do it.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.