News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Guntersville Aug 27-28 AAR

Started by headshot heather, August 31, 2016, 11:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headshot heather

The first word that comes to mind regarding this weekend is HOT, because the fire of liberty was burning fiercely with this group of shooters and instructors.  We were fortunate enough to shoot in the shade at the beautiful Blue and Grey Pistol & Rifle Club, but it was still incredibly high temps and humidity. We took several hydration breaks and allowed ample time between strings of fire for hydrating and recovering. Yes, it was in the mid to upper 90s, but that did not keep our shooters from showing up and showing out. With two riflemen, one of which, took a blue hat (looking forward to working more events with you Gary) and an insane amount of improvement from the first redcoat to the last AQT, this event was such a success.  The number of father/son (and father/daughter) groups on the line was a wonderful sight to see. Having youth learn our heritage and the marksmanship that backs it up is one of the foundational thoughts behind Appleseed.
I have to admit the attitudes from this group were of the most teachable and receptive I've ever had the honor and privilege to instruct. We've already received a few emails from shooters with their kind words and commitments to 7th step.  As an instructor, these are the things that make us take a step back and think "we're really doing something good here."
We were able to promote a few IITs and one IIT to Instructor. Congrats Bulletsquid, GrotonMinuteman, and Kennebago for moving up in the IIT ranks and a big HUZZAH to AH1Tom for joining the red hats. The shooters had a blast shooting your orange hat.  This shoot wouldn't have been nearly successful without the level of skill and precision from the instructors who volunteered their time this weekend. From a surprise visit from TJ8 to a spectacular KD presentation from Google and to the various instructors stepping up and out of their comfort zones to present different blocks, Appleseed was well represented. 
It was a pleasure for me to run this shoot as a shoot boss in training alongside a very insightful mentor and dSB, EddieB and I hope the shooters went home with a newfound sense of patriotism and an awoken American spirit because of it. I know I did.
the ultimate in feminine protection, .22 for light days, .45 for heavy days
"A republic if YOU can keep it"- Benjamin Franklin
"My idea of gun control is hitting what I aim at"- tlawley

Mixed Metaphor

I must concur!  It was a tad warm.  The volunteers, Applecore, Shoot Boss, Instructors and ITTs were all OUTSTANDING!!  The Blue and Gray facility is very nice.  I appreciate their allowing Appleseed to hold the event there.  I was a true joy to meet the volunteers and the shooters! 

I echo some of the comment made by a couple of the Instructors during their self-introductions.  I received my first BB gun at 5 years old.  I've shot since then.  I am a 20 year Army retiree.  I never qualified lower than expert with an M-16.  I learned more on the first day of my first Appleseed than I've ever known about shooting.  The instruction is first rate and this Appleseed was no different. 

Heather did a great job!  I look forward to working with her with my fancy new Blue hat!

To all of the volunteers---->   :bow:
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

AH1Tom

Yes, it was a great weekend. Yes, it was a hot weekend. Despite the heat all the shooters and instructors kept a great attitude and the weekend was a complete success.

One year ago at this range I attended my first Appleseed. It took one more Appleseed, this at the CMP in Talladega, to achieve the score of rifleman. I took an orange hat at that event. On my one year anniversary, back at the Blue and Gray, I was able to complete the requirements for promotion to full instructor. I also had the honor of working this event with my wife performing duties, for her first time, as Applecore and my son as an IIT.

I will get some pictures posted soon.

Did anyone mention it was hot?

EddieB

Thanks to the Blue & Gray Rifle and Pistol Club who made their beautiful facility available exclusively for us this weekend.  Their generosity is very much appreciated.

The instructors did a great job this weekend.  They (and especially Heather  :bow: ) made my job much easier!

Lastly, a big THANK YOU to the shooters who chose to spend their weekend at our Project Appleseed event. 
Please think about the instruction we gave you and remember to practice your natural point of aim as often as you can!  Also, think of our founding generation and the high price they paid to preserve Liberty for us.  We honor them by remembering them.  Don't let their struggles be in vain.  It is up to us to preserve Liberty for our posterity as they did for us.

We hope to see you again soon at another Appleseed, and bring a friend!  In the meantime, please spread the word with your friends and family about your Appleseed weekend.

-Eddie

Fresh Red Coat targets ready for the first string of fire on Saturday.

Heather did a great job running this event!

The first AQT.

We had a wonderful group of young Patriots!

Our own AH1Tom earned his Red Hat!  Huzzah!

AH1Tom won't need that orange hat anymore!

These people were having too much fun!

Ryan, Alabama's newest Rifleman!

Here is a link to more photos:

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/EddieB_AS/library/Guntersville%20Al%20August%2027%202016

Texas T

Way to go, AH1 Tom. Your dedication will be appreciated by many in the future.  Thanks for all of your hard work.   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Kennebago

I was super impressed with the persistence y'all had - more than once I saw some of our younger shooters hit a stoppage, quickly correct it, and then get back up on target in time to finish out their string of fire. I've seen some very experienced shooters simply give up on a string after a jam - not you guys!

One poor shooter had his rifle completely apart at one point with a mechanical issue - but he worked through it efficiently and the second he had everything back together he resumed punching great groups like nothing ever happened. That is mental toughness.  O0

I had a blast with you guys - we'll have to do it again sometime!!!
Wodan bood Mimir zijn oog
doch zou hij beter zien