News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur KD August 27-28

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, August 30, 2016, 04:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

It's always an honor to work a KD at the Appleseed home range in Ramseur and doubly so to be the Shoot Boss. This one was especially meaningful for be as it marked my 100th event and my 33rd KD since taking an orange hat. I love going to Ramseur because you can always count on great support from local cadre and this time was no exception. Kardiak Kid, Cousin Hart, and Thaddeus made it easy for the ol Wreck with the bad leg (recovering from a ruptured Achilles' Tendon) on this trip. Their help coupled with Rusty doing his impression of the chauffeur in Driving Miss Daisy was much appreciated. We also enjoyed the opportunity to catch up a bit with one of my favorite Appleseeders, Lawrence.

We started Saturday morning with a great group of attentive shooters and the instruction block on trajectory presented by the best guy in the program to present it, Rusty. After covering BSZ and come ups we moved to the short line to confirm zero and then quickly to the long range to begin the task of minting KD Riflemen.

The day was brutally hot, 108 real feel temp, but, it's August, it's the south so just adapt. We had shooters verify their far zero and then began shooting AQT stages. We only got through one before the end of shooting on Saturday with one re-qual, Pelon, and several shooters very close.

Sunday morning we spent in class with a block on range estimation delivered by the ol Wreck and environmental factors (wind, altitude, temperature, shooting up and down hill) delivered by Kardiak Kid. By 11 we moved to the firing line put up backers and broke for dinner (lunch if you're a Yankee) and the history block on The Battle of King's Mountain. We began shooting at the allowed time on Sunday, noon.

By the end of the day we had two new KD Riflemen and a total of 2 requals. One of the new Riflemen shot a qualifying score after Wreck and his chauffeur had bugged out on the 9-hour drive home. Thanks to Kardiak Kid for finishing out the day and patching a new Rifleman.

We also have a new orange hat in the program as Baddarryl asked for a hat and made the commitment to help us try to save the sinking ship.

Thanks again for all the help and I truly appreciate the instructor participation as shooters and cadre at this event. I look forward to the next Ramseur KD. Maybe we'll start on Friday next time and make it a 3 day.  Maybe it will be cooler.  ;D

Hope to see everyone at the next KD in Talladega in October. I promise it will be cooler and NO WALKING or riding in the range truck.

For Liberty
Wreck
PS - Post pictures if you took em.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

notagoodshot

I got my long distance rocker this weekend, thank all of you for all your help and patience.  It was a great weekend and I'm proud to be a part of this group!!!

NightFisher

Thanks to you and Rusty for making the long drive up to put this on.  It is amazing how much I learned from the two of you this time even though it was my second KD.  From my perspective the homework assignment sent out the week before the event is a keeper, BSZ, come-ups, environmental factors and up/down hill shooting are keepers as well.   The test?  I don't know, maybe just use it as a basis for class discussion and let us work through it as a group.

My son and I are considering getting out to Talladega but it will not be until next year.  I have used up all the weekend passes from the wife this year.

Maximum Ordinate

This weekend was a lot of fun.  Thanks to the NC crew & shooters for their hospitality!

Also, congratulations to Ramblin' Wreck on his 100th Appleseed event!    :bow:

I tried to snap a few pictures this weekend.

The KD target lines...

Classroom time...

Our first new KD Rifleman!   ^:)^

Pelon requalifying!   O0

Our newest Orange Hat!   O0

I hope to make it back out to Ramseur soon!   :)

-R
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Ramblin' Wreck

Late Sunday after Wreck and his driver, the SI IBC/RBC formerly known as "Rusty", had hit the trail for the 9 hour drive home Kardiak Kid kept everyone shooting AQTs.  We had one late qualifier.  HUZZAH!!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Engineer shooting

Toy you bleeding for the cause?  O0 O0

Quote from: Ramblin' Wreck on September 01, 2016, 11:56:55 AM
Late Sunday after Wreck and his driver, the SI IBC/RBC formerly known as "Rusty", had hit the trail for the 9 hour drive home Kardiak Kid kept everyone shooting AQTs.  We had one late qualifier.  HUZZAH!!

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

KARDIAK KID

Dusty old helmet, rusty old gun,
They sit in the corner and wait –
Two souvenirs of the Second World War
That have withstood the time, and the hate.
Many times I've wanted to ask them –
And now that we're here all alone,
Relics all three of a long ago war –
Where has freedom gone?
Mute witness to a time of much trouble,
Where kill or be killed was the law –
Were these implements used with high honor?
What was the glory they saw?
Freedom flies in your heart like an eagle.
Let it soar with the winds high above
Among the spirits of soldiers now sleeping,
Guard it with care and with love.
I salute my old friends in the corner.
I agree with all they have said –
And if the moment of truth comes tomorrow,
I'll be free, or By God, I'll be dead!
Audie Murphy

NightFisher

Take it from an old guy, you will be amazed how thin your hide gets as you age. 

Engineer shooting

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Pelon

Hey Rusty!!!  (aka Grandma)  :bow:

Glad to see your new forum name is working before the cutoff date...   ;D