News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boaz, KY, August 27-28, 2016

Started by dond, August 30, 2016, 01:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

Nine shooters arrived for lessons in history and marksmanship, and 4 of these were youths under 16. And two of these were just 9 and 10. They all performed admirably and safely. This goes for the adults too.  O0  Much improvement was noted. One old hand, Carlos, shot a 229 score and others were in the 160s and 180s, which was excellent for new shooters.

We were very pleased with the attendance because this was the largest group at this venue in quite some time. And we were especially pleased that three family units made up the entire firing line. And all were new to Appleseed except two individuals.

The only unpleasant feature was the weather. It was brutally hot on Saturday. We tried not to push too much because of this. By mid-afternoon I was struggling and one of the shooters was feeling nauseous. Therefore, we decided to stop and begin again the next day.

Sunday was somewhat better and more progress was made but it was still very hot in the afternoon. Eventually it began to rain and a storm appeared to be approaching. Most of the shooters had traveled hours to attend and decided it was best to head home at that time.

All seemed pleased with what they had learned and were anxious to attend more events in the future.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Guntuckian

Great attendance!  Congrats to Carlos!

Safety is always of paramount importance.  Sounds like the right decisions were made to keep everyone safe in the extreme weather.

-- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

C Kerley

Yes, Don, you said it best at "brutally hot"!!

Zach had a great time, and he really turned his shooting around too.  He went home telling his dad that he shot a 183 but would probably get his 210 the next time.  His dad had told me that he had picked up slapping his trigger, so I figured this would be a good training session for him....which is also why I drove 5 hours to get him there!!

Don give a special thanks to Orange Hat Auddie (sp?).  She seemed pretty familiar with teaching and the various challenges students create, and when she told me she was a school teacher it all made sense.  I'm usually the instructor that gets assigned the youngest kids on the line, so I certainly appreciated her efforts with the two little ones too.

I'm embarrassed to say that with each break I focused on Gatorade, and we did not take a single photo the entire weekend there.

colonial shooter

Carlos, were you goofing off again? I have seen you shoot higher scores! Glad to see you still around. Glad all the participants learned to persevere.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana