News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Racine, WI Known Distance Aug 20-21 >> out to 600 yards

Started by BrightSparc, August 22, 2016, 11:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrightSparc

Flying ferret and I, bright sparc, worked the second Racine, WI KD event in 2016 over the weekend. Orange hats were pressed into the line and required to shoot the entire event. Gads!

The line was exclusively .30 cal.  2 Garands, 2 M1As, a mixture of bolts, AR-10s and one SKS.  Shooting both paper (full-size silhouettes) and steel - all distances were covered with time spent at 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards.  4 full distance AQTs completed in addition to steel "shingles" at 200 through 600 yards and redcoats at 300 yards.

2-day round count averaged 300 per person.  A short thunderstorm delay on the first day reduced expected round count and number of Full-Distance AQTs.  Besides a small squall on the first day, weather was phenomenal.  Mostly overcast, cool and a strong tail wind. Priceless.

Porkbelly - a two-time KD veteran asked to take an orange hat.  He knows what he is about and had already KD qualified at the June event.

As with all the KDs I have been honored to work with, an extremely safe group.  A diverse group from all over the Midwest.  A great group of rifleman and a pleasure to watch them work the steel at distance.

photos: 400 and 600 yards. If you zoom in - you can see the 16 x 16 steel and AQT target D's.

Shamgar

Great shoot with a great group of shooters! It was a humbling two days for me, the SKS with stripper clips is in my opinion definitely not the rifle of choice for the KD. But it is the only center fire rifle I own. Learned about my optics mount coming loose and the impact that had on my shooting. A lot to focus on while shooting at distance, definitely very different from a 25 yard regular AS shooting .22. That said, the basic skill sets remain constant. I want to say thank you again to all the participants I shot with, especially BrightSparc and Flying Ferret.
First Appleseed, 11/7-11/8 2015, Oregon, WI
Second, 2/27/2016, Racine, WI
Third, KD, 8/20-8/21 2016, Racine, WI
Fourth, 9/18/2016, Racine, WI
Fifth, 10/9/2016, McMiller @ Eagle, WI, RIFLEMAN! 2nd AQT, 214

Jdg 3:31  And after him was Shamgar the son of Anath, which slew of the Philistines six hundred men with an ox goad: and he also delivered Israel.

2 clicks low

Thanks to BrightSparc and Flying Ferret.

Great job. I'll be back.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Headspace

Another fantastic event.  I am again in debt to everyone involved in setting this up. 

You can't help but giggle like an idiot when people are banging steel at 500 and 600 yards with deer rifles and guns that your grandfather might have carried into battle. 

When you read through these AARs online, you understand why so many people come back with friends for their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Appleseeds.  Big props go out to the Racine club for hosting us and letting us monopolize their range for 2 days.  This is a super nice shooting facility.

I was so busy shooting and talking all weekend that I didn't think to pull out my cameraphone.  If anyone snapped any good pix, please post them here.