News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

La Grande, OR June 30/31 AAR

Started by Prescott, August 08, 2016, 05:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prescott

Sorry, for the delay in getting this AAR posted, but last week was busy as I spent a couple days in the Boise area after the shoot.

Another perfect weekend was spent in La Grande, OR as 19 patriotic Americans came out to spend the weekend perfecting their marksmanship skills.   We had a few participants that traveled quite a ways to spend the weekend in La Grande.   I appreciate your commitment to the program and it was nice getting to know everyone who came out.

Honestly, I was a little concerned with this group of shooters when we reviewed the scores from the AQT that was shot on Saturday afternoon.   The scores were a little lower than your typical Appleseed event.   To the shooter defense, it was a very warm afternoon and the dry hot wind did make it hard to stay hydrated.

However, as we reviewed the marksmanship fundamentals again on Sunday, I did notice that the shoot groups were getting smaller and smaller.   Maybe there was hope for this group!   They continued to stay focused and followed the marksmanship techniques they were being taught, and great improvement was being show on their targets.    As we started shooting AQTs on Sunday, the scores just keep getting better and better.

We ended the weekend with one new riflewomen! Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah.  She also agreed to take an orange hat and become Eastern Oregon's youngest (and only) female instructor.   Thanks for stepping up and helping grow Project Appleseed.  I let her father present her the rifleman's patch, as I know the sense of pride that you receive from presenting the rifleman's patch to your children.

We also had one return rifleman who shot a rifleman's score on every AQT that he shot.   He definitely knew what he was all about.   We had a couple other shooters that were getting very close to their rifleman score, and I am sure they will get their patch at the next event they attend.

There were some local wildfires that developed Saturday around the La Grande area.   A couple that was participating in this event could not get back to their campsite on Saturday night as the area was being evacuated.   Unfortunately, they did not return on Sunday, as they needed to negotiate with the Forest Service to be able to retrieve their camping gear from the camp ground.   I hope to see you back at another AS event.

Remember to practice the fundamentals at home.   Use the comfort of the carpet in your living to perform some dry fire practice.   Use good Steady Hold Factors while performing some NPOA shifts and trigger control drills.  As I mentioned during the event, a laser bore sighter will really help perfect these techniques, as you get instantaneous feedback during the drills.   You can watch for the amount of muzzle wobble you have, which will help identify any muscle fatigue you may be experience while supporting your rifle.   You can get feedback to the accuracy of your NPOA shift and also watch for any shift in the lasers position as you squeeeeze the trigger.

I would also like to thank the local IIT, Mjorin, for arranging the event with the club.  We wouldn't be able to have AS event here if it was not for passionate volunteer like you.   I would also like to thank his family for hosting a wonderful pot luck dinner on Saturday night.   This meal following the shoot really adds a sense of community to this event, and I really appreciate the hospitality.   

It was a pleasure getting to know all of you, and I am looking forward to seeing you at another AS event in the future.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Prescott

More photos.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

sensorguy

I would like to thank Prescot, Janer, and Mjorin for putting on the shoot.  We had enthusiastic 20 shooters who listened and improved dramatically.  Special kudoos to the young lady on getting her rifleman's patch.  I saw her improve from ~160 to shoot her 213 by listening and make several small improvements that added up to success.