News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

McLean, IL August 6-7, 2016 AAR

Started by Wurstmacher, August 08, 2016, 12:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurstmacher

Perfect weather and perfect location for an Appleseed.  Thanks Bob Holland for the location, and thanks to those responsible for the perfect weather.

Thanks to those of you that brought kids, it did not really seem like it, but after counting, half of the shooters were 17 years old and under.

Thanks to Shooter 30.06 for instructing this past weekend.  It is always a pleasure to have you on the line.  Congratulations to Rev.357 and Slappy for stepping up and passing their respective progress checks.

Thanks to Blockhead, a blue hat, for helping out with registration and congratulations for passing your AC/RSO progress check.

Thanks to Jennifer for watching the line so that we could all go down range on Saturday morning for instruction at the target line.  And then she took t a Blue Hat on Sunday to be an official Appleseed AppleCore volunteer.  If that were not enough, after running out of excuses (not a rifle person, somewhat cross dominant eyes, eyes cannot focus through scope) and being coerced by the Shoot Boss, she put some rounds downrange with a 10/22 with Tech Sights.  The results on the target brought a smile to her face that lasted the rest of the shoot.  She now admits that she has officially "drank the koolaid" and we can expect to see her on the line at a future Appleseed.  Please welcome Dimplenoz to the fold.

Congratulations to Aurora and Nate for earning your Rifleman's Patch.  It meant a lot to each of your dads to be able to present you both with your patches.

We have more Appleseeds scheduled in Illinois this year, so spread the word and bring someone with you to your next shoot.

If the guy that lost his wedding ring found it when he got home please let us know, so that we know to not keep looking for it.

Please post your comments and pictures.

Respectfully,

Wurstmacher

Slappy

Saturday afternoon line

Sunday line

Sunday seated AQT

Star fun shoot winners

Rev.357 presenting his daughter with her Riflewoman patch

Rev presenting a DOM

Shooter30-06 presenting his son Nate with his Rifleman patch

Shooter 30-06 tying Revolutionary war history to today

Slappy's family with the SB and Redhat

Dimplenoz accepting her Blue Hat

Slappy telling the 2nd strike

1st-August 8/9, 2015
2nd-January 16/17, 2016- ;D Rifleman (217); IIT0

Trojan99

Thanks to all of you for making my first Appleseed a great experience.  I couldn't have asked for a better group of instructors and volunteers.  I learned a ton and will definitely be back after some practice!

Jim

Wurstmacher

Trojan99, I am glad you had a positive experience.  There is a good thread on dry fire practice that has been popping up currently on the forum.  The information from jmdavis would be a great place for you to start with your practice at home.

There are several opportunities to Appleseed in Illinois in September and October.  Hope to see you on the line again this summer/fall.

Laredo

Wow.  Looks like like a great shoot!!   Congrats to all!!
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

AK

Looks like I missed a great Appleseed. Congratulations to the two new riflemen, Nate and Aurora!  It is so great to see fathers present Rifleman patches to their children. Makes a parent proud. (Mothers, too! :))
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

Shooter30-06

It's always rewarding being an Instructor but never more so than when you are present to see your children earn their Rifleman's badge.  That was a thrill that both Rev.357 and myself got to experience at this shoot.  Nate not only earned his badge but shot Rifleman at least four times in a row.  Aurora did it with a bolt action rifle.  Congratulations to both for their achievements!

My good friend Ryan was close all weekend. Keep practicing and it will be yours.  Jim, it was nice having you come down from Chicago to attend this shoot.  I always love having fellow left-handed shooters around!  I hope to get to see you again.

A big thank you to the Holland family for hosting the shoot.  This is always one of the best venues we visit.  Another big thank you to Slappy and Rev, and Blockhead for your hard work and effort.  Finally, a big thank you to Wurstmacher as Shoot Boss for another near flawless shoot.  I enjoy working with you.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Rev.357

This is a glorious day for America!  Mr. Holland's farm is a clearly bucolic and nearly idyllic setting fo an Appleseed along the bakns of Prairie Creek.  The place was mowed up like a golf course and a fresh, unchristened blue privy was in place.  The whole Holland family turns out to grill and serve burgers and dogs.  big thanks to the Hollands, one and all. 

This is always a great Appleseed for families.  We had families of three, families of four, a family of eight, and a family of way more than eight.  Some came with a buddy or two, some singles, some singles who plan to bring a buddy, and at least one single who is planning to come back with a date. 

A year ago Slappy and I were at the Holland farm for our first Appleseed.  Lying in the water in 102* heat, we were trying to staple targets to wet cardboard and trying to figure out what Shooter 30.06 was trying to tell us.  This time round, Slappy and I both had orange hats and our families with us, and were still trying to figure out what Shooter was trying to tell us. 

The Blue Hat known as Blockhead is a lover  of all things Leggo and all things Appleseed.  He began the day registering shooters, and ended the day as RSO.  As it turned out there were some unsafe rifles toward the end of the day, and he never missed the que to call, "Whose rifle is this?" 

Rifleman John came back from Indiana and brought a buddy.  BTW John, how many times did you requal?  I saw some good looking targets, but never heard how they scored.  Bravo Zulu John for good shooting and returning with a recruit. 

Nate was another first time Appleseeder with Slappy and I a year ago.  He returned for his second Aseed, this time with a fully functioning rifle and took his patch.  Then re-qualified three or four times.  It seems that that patch in your pocket helps a shooter to "relax," then you can drive nails the rest of the day.  I forsee that will be the case with Familyman Ryan who has shot between 200 and 207, many many times.  That brings to mind another question.  Why is it that once having been awarded a Rifleman patch, a rifleman will leave an unsafe rifle on the mat in the next round?  Nate?  John?   

I was on the spot the second morning, but Brooke and Rylie came through with all six steps for a safe rifle.  Brooke had not shot before, we began with eye dominance, but everyone came over to see her three shots in one ragged hole. 

Templar 223 swooped in, made a strafing run with his Cannon, and soared away.  Hence the name, Templar. 

Great to have Trojan 99 on the line, who woke up overlooking the Lincoln Park Zoo and realized, "McLean is where?"  He found us online, set up his own LTR, and cleared the Hillside Strangler early in the morning.  New Rifle.  New shooter.  A way lot of progress.  When he focused on that front sight, that cloud became a tight little knot.  Come back early and often.  Bring recruits, preach the gospel -- you are in a target rich environment. 

The only thing better than handing your daughter a Rifleman Patch, is handing your daughter a Rifleman Patch on the same day your buddy hands his son a Rifleman Patch.  In a day when so many young people don't know who they are and are fabricating fantasy personas in virtual un-realities, It is good to see young people who know what they are about.  Especially when they, as a young patriot, score 48/50-3V, with a bolt action, iron sighted, jar.  I'm proud of you Yellow Leader. 

At Appleseed we talk about saving the world.  At this event we had a septuagenarian shooter on line who has done a lot of world saving having personally put rifles, shotguns, and bows in the hands of thousands of young 4-Hers.  He didn't quite re-qual this time.  The first time Paul shot expert on an AQT with an M14, they just gave him a pin and a job offer as a sniper.  We all really want the patch instead of some dumb pin.  Paul will be back.  He will patch, and we will probably be calling him "Relentless."

Thanks to Doc L for consulting with Paul and I on comb risers.

Shooter is correct (Don't tell him I said so.), Wurstmacher is flawless.  As long as I keep watching him, I will keep learning.   We had an extreme diversity of ability levels.  Boss posted AQTs for some and Squares for others for some rounds.  Great idea that worked well. He also set up some metallic dinger targets for our young patriots.  In retrospect, AQTs, Green Coats, and Squares might be another combination. 

He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.