News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gainesville, FL July 30-31, 2016

Started by 9mm4545, August 01, 2016, 02:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

With temperatures in the triple digits we had perfect "Inferno-seed" conditions for the Gainesville Target Range. With lots of shade the conditions were somewhat bearable but the fans provided by Smoakingun were truly a blessing. After the usual safety briefing and explanation of line commands we began with a Redcoat--which showed plenty of room for improvement. The business of instructing rifle marksmanship got underway and the improvements were rapid.  Building a rock solid position and sling use was the first order of business. The Six Steps and Natural Point of Aim were explained and demonstrated and Rifleman's Cadence became the order of the day. By noon the heat index was over 100 degrees but the pace was even hotter. Minutemom gave an outstanding first strike during a well earned lunch break and folks learned some history rarely taught in schools. The afternoon was spent working on positions other than prone and then we got to try our first attempt at the fabled AQT. A couple of hydration breaks afforded us the opportunity to learn more of the Battles of Lexington and Concord as Falcon762 and Big Chris gave some fine story telling in the form of the Second and Third Strikes of the Match. By the end of the day Smoakingun showed that he had what it takes to be an excellent shoot boss, keeping us on track and on time. During the afternoon Wes re-qualified and earned himself an Inferno-Seed Rifleman patch. Huzzah! Congratulations to Wes and just so you know, I do have an Orange Hat that I believe will fit you...

For Sunday we had a somewhat smaller attendance and by popular vote, we elected to start half an hour earlier in an attempt to beat some of the heat. Our Orange Hats did a great job reinforcing the teachings of the day before and before long everyone was showing some good shooting. Remarkably, the usual summer thunderstorms left us alone although the heat was unrelenting and affected students and instructors alike.

Travis, I believe you deserve the "most improved" title as you went from "barely on the backer" to some decent groups in a very short period of time. That sort of progress is great to see and makes an instructor's heart get all warm and fuzzy. Paul, you and Misty were real troopers. I can understand your frustration but just keep at it and all the pieces will eventually fall into place. We missed you on Sunday and I do hope you can make it back during one of the cooler shoots this fall. James, you too were showing some good progress. Keep up the perfect practice and you will join the Rifleman ranks. Lester, you were making that AR rock despite a less than precision sighting system. The term "knocking at the door" comes to mind and you will no doubt earn your patch the next time out. Austin, it was great seeing you again and you too were getting very close to achieving success on the AQT. Hang in there, do your dry practice, talk nice to your rifle so it will behave, and you will have a Rifleman title to add to your name. Kyle, seeing that beautiful Swiss K-31 did my heart good. That is a fine rifle and you were working that thing like a man possessed. Keep up the good work; I will have a Rifleman patch reserved with your name on it!

Thanks to all of our fine instructors who took the effort to make for a wonderful weekend. Falcon762, Minutemom, Saltwater Shooter, kylemason, Rambo Granny, Big Chris, and Smoakingun: you guys rock! A special congratulations is due to Smoakingun for his advancement to Shoot Boss. That green hat looks very nice on you.

I know photos were taken by folks more ambitious than myself. And, as always, please share them and your comments!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

kylemason

I had such a wonderful time at my first shoot as an IIT0!  What an amazing group of people, all of whom helped me immensely.

Got to call the line and get my feet wet, maybe soaked is a better word, and got my first PC done!  Thanks to ALL OF YOU for keeping me on track!  Everyone was so encouraging and helpful. 

Here are a couple of shots.....

B.C.

Good times! All the students showed improvement and the instructors were top notch as always. Wes scored multiple times in the absolutely brutal heat, what a champ. Austin, you did very well and your time will come my brother, see you in October. Congratulations to our newest Florida shoot boss, well deserved sir! Kyle called the line exceeding well and did an all around great job wearing that day glow orange hat for the 1st time. Minute Mom and Falcon gave wonderful strikes, good job. Special thanks to RG and 9mm, it's always a pleasure to be around such fine folks as you. And thanks also to the master chief for just simply being a heck of a guy. Until next time my fellow countrymen. Enjoy some pictures below.
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

B.C.

"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Minutemom

Great shoot, teachable attitudes and persistence, fabulous instructors, awesome shoot boss, and triple digit temperatures - the makings of another glorious Appleseed!  So much improvement was made by every shooter on the line, and boy did we all have fun doing it.  Thanks to all of the students who braved the miserable weather to come out and learn a little history and improve their marksmanship skills.  You certainly made it worth coming out in the sweltering heat!  Thanks to my fellow instructors, from whom I continue to learn at every event.  And Smoak, you were made to be a shoot boss - excellent job and I look forward to instructing under you at many events to come!  Congrats on your shiny new green hat.  It won't look like that for long.  I hope you will be there to help blow up my orange hat  ;).  Thanks Big Chris and Kyle for the awesome pics!
Wes, congrats on shooting the score yet again - I sure hope that there is an orange hat in your future!  You would fit right in with the Appleseed family.  To all the other future riflemen that were on the line, keep practicing at home and then come on out and show us how it's done!  See you all on the line!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

smoakingun

What a great weekend. Thanks to the students for making it an easy shoot. Thanks also to the bountiful instructor cadre that suffered through the heat. This was probably the most fun I've had at a shoot in a while.
To the students, I would encourage you to persist. The path you have chosen to embark upon is steep, but the treasue that awaits you at the end is well sorth it.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

theri

Smoak

Congratulations on the Green hat.  It is well deserved. :) :) :)

Terry
Whiskey Tango 9

Wes

My son and I had another really superb time, heat and all!!! It was certainly an "inferno seed" but well worth it. All of you folks do such a wonderful job. So a big, big thank you to 9mm4545, Rambogranny, Smokingun, Minutemom, Big Chris, Saltwater Shooter, kylemason and falcon762.

I've said this before but I really believe it's worth repeating -- I think it is really admirable that you folks volunteer your time, knowledge and experience to teach others the history of what our forefathers had to sacrifice in order for us to enjoy the freedoms that we have today. You are making a difference, you really are.

Appleseed is such a great program. The history, the marksmanship and the camaraderie that develops makes for a special weekend. Already looking forward to October.

To 9mm4545 and Minutemom, thanks! Not sure I have the skills for it yet but definitely something I aim to strive for.

Congrats to Smoak on the green hat, you are certainly deserving of it and are going to make a great shoot boss. 
Great job on the line Kyle. I knew you you would make a good one.

Thanks to Big Chris, saltwater shooter and falcon 762 for the helpful tips. You guys are great and enjoyed talking to you.

And last but certainly not least, to Rambogranny thank you for all the help with Austin. He  really appreciates it and has said so multiple times.  He's almost there!!!

Thanks  again everyone

rambo granny

Ditto to everything everyone has said. The weekend was worth every drop of sweat...and that was buckets full. :P.... thanks to students and instructors! With our thick coatings of sweat and fine dusting of sand, we all looked like sugar cookies, but Lady Liberty was smiling as we all learned, overcame devilish heat >:D and performed at our highest levels.
I love the picture of Smoak with the Inferno Seed Patch recipients...after all he created that patch and got the job done....a fine new shoot boss indeed.  Also congrats to Randy, Kyle, and Minutemom on your promotions. I am blessed to work with  such fine folks to help bail our Liberty ship. Saltwater Shooter, you earned stars in heaven by bringing the absolutely essential canopies out Friday. Your Master Chief is showing O0 
Travis, it was hugely rewarding to watch you go from "new rife in box" to shooting some very respectable groups in spite of the broiling conditions!                                                                                                                     
For anyone wondering out there....it was a measured 100 degrees in the shade of the canopies even with the fans.The heat index was even higher. True Inferno Seed conditions. Determination in those conditions requires a whole new level of grit and persistence. The 100 pounds of ice that Smoak brought helped too! :bow:
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Cable___Guy

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Lucky Lori

Congratulations  Smoke   for  earning  the  green  hat    Shoot  Boss.  I know you will be  great !
Lucky  Lori