News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

First good practice results

Started by goodoldfriend, August 01, 2016, 10:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodoldfriend

I got out yesterday again to practice the fundamentals that the great instructors taught me in Wilmingon two weeks ago, on 7/16 & 7/17.

I was struggling and somewhat down after the event but, keeping with the spirit of perseverance I posted the following two results yesterday.

I sighted in first. Did a little standing practice, then ran a redcoat...

Please see the results attached.

I am posting this hoping it will encourage others to keep practicing.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Maximum Ordinate

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

NightFisher

goodoldfriend

Thank you. I give all the credit to the great instruction I received two weeks ago.

I compared my redcoat, which is a downloaded file, to one of the ones I did at the event.

Mine has smaller images. All the redcoats and the shingle are just a bit smaller than the official one.

I still need lots of work on my offhand and seated. I would have practiced a little longer yesterday but the sweat bees got the best of my spouse so we had to flee the range...
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Corvette

WOW,

Great work, shot group, adjusted for elevation, shot second group, adjusted for windage and nailed it.

Textbook example of IMC. My congratulations sir, well done.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

goodoldfriend

Corvette,

Thank you, coming from you that means a lot.

The sad news is I get to do it again...LOL. I got low rings for the scope, I need mediums, sigh. I need to move the scope forward so I can get a better cheek weld. The low rings allow the focus ring to drag on the top rail.

And wait till you see what I put together. All Kidd parts in a Titan stock. Supposedly trigger pull is 8 oz on the first stage and 8 on the second. I still need to work on the FUNdamentals though.

Even with the weight of the rifle I managed to keep all of my offhand shots on the target. On a couple runs I had 3 shots in the V ring. Now I just have to figure out what I was doing on those shots and build repeatability.

I am really looking forward to the next event.
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Corvette

Sounds interesting.  I am building one right now my self.  Tactical Solutions receiver with built in scope mount, Shaw target barrel, Ruger BMX trigger group, Vortex scope and Boyd stock.  Should be done in time for the Wilmington shoot in Oct so we can swap and check each other's out. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

goodoldfriend

That sounds great.

I just did a second one, for my daughter to use.

Ruger receiver and bolt (from the donor rifle). Ruger BX trigger. Green Mountain barrel in a Houge over mold thumb hole stock.
This one will have a 2-8 X 32 Vortex Diamondback HP scope.

Now if she will just commit to some practice...
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

goodoldfriend

I just realized today that I was shooting the 50 foot version of the redcoat target. I was at 25 meters as best as I could tell.

I get back out tomorrow for some more live fire time. I hope to be able to do it again.
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016