News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Skowhegan, Maine July 23/24

Started by The Old Guide, July 27, 2016, 10:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Guide

I always like to scan the pre-regs to see who is coming. We had a full line of paid preregistered shooters from self declared skill level 1 to 5. Only four out of 20 were repeat Appleseeders. Most described themseves as skill level 2 and one was a skill level 5 which is a rare thing. This guy cleaned the first Redcoat target and the next 3 Redcoats also. He had an exotic custom made Ruger 10-22 which he had built. Turns out that he was a stealth Appleseed Instructor from New York State who just wanted to shoot for a weekend. We had a total of four repeat Appleseeders. Most were first timers.

We had six prepaid no shows! The weather forecast predicted violent thunderstorms with damaging winds. We had those thunderstorms pass north of us and south of us, saw black clouds and heard thunder, but we had hot bright sun all day both days. Everybody stayed hydrated and persevered as they started down their Appleseed trails. North Country Lady did the First Strike, Second Mile, the Second Strike and TominCT the Third Strike. I did Dangerous Old Men on Sunday. By the way, I am now the same age as Samuel Whittimore was on April 19, 1775.

I have a dummy rifle and have added a laser pointer which is very effective for demonstrating NPOA and sling use. One shooter came up, shook my hand and thanked me for using that laser. He fired a 220 to make Rifleman and said the laser was what made him understand NPOA. We can tell them, but the visual aids and showing them make the strong connections.

Skowhegan is a great club. They had four pop up canopies where we could get some shade. They provided lunch on both days and had a few club members at the range for support. The range is on the bank of the Kennebec River which makes the range a few degrees cooler than it was in town. It was hot. It was very hot for Maine. Shooters would stand down for an AQT for relief from the sun and to get hydrated. We had no medical problems from the heat.

All of our shooters improved, even the Skill Level 5 guy. He really enjoyed Skowhegan. Maine's first Appleseed was at Skowhegan ten years ago. We had three new riflemen with scores in the 220s. We had an Adaptive Appleseeder who nearly made Rifleman with a 207. He'll make it next time. One shooter wants to become an Instructor. I'm sending her the info. She also "almost" made Rifleman. I think we would have had much more than three Riflemen had the temperatures been normal. The heat was a definite distraction. Black rifle stocks became too hot to touch and we allowed them to be covered after making the line safe after each stage.

We had the exotic 10-22, some heavy barrel 10-22s, some stock 10-22s, three ARs and an 03-A3 Springfield on the line.

A few people had to leave early, but we got each to fire a Redcoat before they left. All scores improved and all shooters intend to come back. Great safe shoot.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

StevenK

Shooting North

This was a great event! The instructors were top notch. I can't wait to do it again next year and will bring my teenage daughter.
Thanks to all involved.
Dave

TOMINCT

Hi, back to the usual grind here.

There was a very good turnout and performance by those who attended. As The Old Guide stated 3 Rifleman, Dave, Jason and Steve all in the 220's for score. Several pushing it, Marienne with 2 205 scores with an AR and others with scores in the 180-190's. Everyone overcame and adapted to the instruction at the drink for a firehose pace.

The club did a great job in having everything needed in ready shape for the event and many members stopped by to see what we were about. Looking forward to events there in the future.

Great job by the IT crew of The Old Guide, North Country Lady and 2nd Mile. Great to see things flowing so well in the Pine Tree state.

A Rifleman persists.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Spencer.K

I had a really great time, and my skills definitely improved.  Only 5 points away from that Rifleman badge... 
I've already signed up for the North Berwick shoot, and I intend to get it!