News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wright City, MO July 23-24, 2016

Started by 209Ken, July 25, 2016, 11:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

209Ken

Oppressive heat.
Stifling humidity.
Dangerous heat index.
Excessive heat warning.
The sky is falling!

These are some of the phrases used by the local news channels to describe the weather over the weekend. Who would schedule an event where people would be out in this weather for 8+ hours for two whole days? Appleseed, that's who!

Yes, our turnout was smaller than usual, but the persistence demonstrated by our shooters more than made up for it. We had 8 people who were not deterred by the doomsday heat warnings.

Steve and Malachi, and Van and Evan - the two father and son combos who came out for some family bonding. You guys remind me of me and my son when we were shooting together at Appleseed events. Now we instruct together!

Sly, Thomas, and Roger - A group of shooting friends. You guys rocked! I really enjoyed the camaraderie you guys shared, and I hope you all come back to earn your Rifleman patches.

Jimmy - The persistent returning shooter who is sooo close to that elusive 210 score. I know you can do it!

I had a great time this weekend! It was like a challenge to have a good time in spite of being soaked in sweat for two days. I am not kidding when I say that I did not hear one single complaint from shooters or fellow instructors. We drank lots of water, we attempted to stay in the shade, we covered our rifles after we made them safe, we persisted.

Please leave comments and post pictures if you have them. I will post my pictures in a day or two - keep checking back!

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

209Ken

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

colonial shooter

Great pics! Nice set up, but should have known it would have been outstanding, because it was 209Ken running it.

Great job, even with the oppressive heat!
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

StevenK

00dlez

The 200 score was encouraging. I also added up the 2nd to last AQT when I got home and had a 153 without stage 2 (jam after first shot, couldn't clear before cease fire).

Weekend average was a full 35 points higher than last time, most notably improved on stages 2 and 4

Ken and all the instructors/assistants were fantastic as always. Ken had a good catch that my front sight might be loose, saved my sunday sanity!

I'll be back again to seal the deal!

thursday

This was probably the most motivated bunch of students I have seen in my 7 years instructing Appleseed.  With all the turmoil and strife in our country right now, you guys give me hope.
if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to to do another and harder and better one.-C.S.Lewis

It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, and fifteen minutes to build a bad one.-My Dad

connibear

What a great day for a shoot even though it was crazy hot to be out all day. We were thankful for the occasional breeze. Great bunch of students, great attitudes even with the heat. No rifleman, but there was persistance and determination. I believe they'll be back for more. Thank you to all who came out and spent their time with us.  :~
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.