News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Ararat Farm, Jonesville, VA 15-16JUL16

Started by Guardian, July 18, 2016, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian

We had an excellent inaugural event at the Ararat Farm in Jonesville, VA Friday and Saturday. Friday was overcast most of the day and quite pleasant for a mid summer day. Saturday was hot most of the day, with thunder showers at the end of the event.

Friday, 11 Patriots turned out to learn marksmanship, heritage, and Liberty! We started with a welcome message and safety briefing, then got started on the firing line. Our initial redcoat indicated we had room for improvement, but 8 of 10 shooters having an effective range of 100 to 300 yards at the outset was impressive!

We learned:

• steady hold factors for the prone, sitting/kneeling, and standing positions;
  • the integrated act of firing the shot (6 steps);
  • natural point of aim (NPOA);
  • rifleman's cadence;
  • deciphering our targets; and
  • how to adjust our sights.
By the end of the day, all shooters had at least a 100 yard effective range! Congratulations!

We heard the history of April 19, 1775 and learned how average people with motivation took on the most powerful army in the world and won! Mind over matter! We learned that one person CAN make a difference!

Our benediction encouraged us to engage our brain housing groups and think! We need to know very well what we are about and the only way to do that is to think for ourselves.

Saturday, all participants returned and we got to work. We reviewed the information presented Friday and added transitions, rifleman's bubble, shooting at actual distance, and drills to improve our skills. We ran several AQTs and continued to see improvement, even though the sun was baking us.

We heard stories of dangerous old men, brave women, and gallant children. We explored the idea of Liberty and what it meant to the Founding Generation.

Our benediction encouraged us to bring others to events, spread the message of Liberty, and continue to improve our skills.

Thanks to the Watsons for hosting us! This is a great venue and we appreciate the opportunity to bring Project Appleseed to your neck of the woods! Thanks for your hospitality! I really enjoyed the opportunity to spend Friday evening in your company.

David, work on your steady hold factors, paying particular attention to placement of your trigger hand and ensuring your not dragging wood. Your persistence through multiple equipment issues is admirable! Your self reliance and fixing those issues is also admirable. You did what needed to be done.

Jared, you made considerable improvement and I hope that it was obvious to you. Work on tying the 6 steps together while relaxing into the sling.

Michael, you did as well as I've ever seen with a single shot bolt! Focus on smoothness with transitions and minimal movement when reloading.

Ginger, you are an excellent shot! Your groups showed great improvement. Your persistence in spite of frustration and weariness are commendable. Work on getting comfortable with the sling and solid steady hold factors.

Mary, you're not the beginner you believe yourself to be. You're in the upper 10% of the population. Modesty is one thing, but it also good to be aware of your own capabilities. Your groups showed tremendous improvement and I hope it was as obvious to you as it was to me. Stick with it and you'll be better than you ever believed yourself capable.

Trinity and Zoe, I've seen people 5 times your age that couldn't put the groups together that you both were doing! Congratulations and I hope you enjoyed yourselves. You were a pleasure to have on the line.

Tim, you also showed great improvement throughout the event. Work on relaxing into the sling to find NPOA. Once you find that, you'll move to a whole new level.

Trent and Carter, you are both great shots and are down to just the finer points. Focus on the mental aspect. Have a plan before you even get into position and then make sure you enact the plan, making adjustments as necessary (Rifleman's Dance). Dry firing will get patches for both of you at your next event.

Ben, you showed improvement in spite of using 3 different rifles and 3 types of ammo. Congrats! You overcame adversity! Work on finding your NPOA with stable positions and you'll note an improvement.

Thank you all for coming! You were a great group and I look forward to seeing each of you at future events.

Special thanks to Shawn for bringing his family out in spite of feeling ill. I really appreciate your assistance on the line with your girls. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

:pics:
Post 'em if you got 'em. I'll get some up tomorrow.

WmLyons

Hi Everyone.  Just want to say that I had a great time and hope each of you did as well.  As Guardian said, several of you should earn your Rifleman patch the very next event you attend and all of you should earn it in time.  Please keep coming back and bring others with you. All my best to each of you.

Thanks to the Instructor staff.  I enjoyed meeting you (several for the first time).  It was great working with you and I hope to see you again soon in future Appleseed events. 

WmLyons 

Bill

The Wolfhound

Congratulations and thanks to our "border raiders" for making this work.  This is now the Westernmost Virginia Appleseed by almost 200 miles.  I am pleased to hear that it went well.

DrJohn

Congratulations and a hearty well done! to Guardian and his crew for introducing Appleseed to the western part of Virginia. Wish I could have been there and been a part. Blessings to all, ad may Liberty increase forever!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

HazMatt1

A huge thanks to all the instructors and students for helping to make this first appleseed here a great one. Here are some pics if the shoot.
"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a Volunteer."--- Lt. Col. James Dolittle

HazMatt1

Thanks
"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a Volunteer."--- Lt. Col. James Dolittle