News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Practice

Started by jmdavis, July 01, 2016, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

Gary Anderson is an Olympic Gold Medalist in rifle and the first person to earn the International Distinguished Badge. For 10 years he served as the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, and he currently serves as DCM emeritus.

This article will offer some thoughts on getting the most out of your practice and training. While it is geared to youth smallbore and airrifle shooters, the information has validity in other disciplines as well.

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Gary_OTMFall2010.pdf
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

navybowhunter

Valongrifle

During attendance of the Virginia July 9-10,2016 Training Shoot the instructors emphasized dry firing.  They also said that for rim fire guns it would be a good idea to use something such as 22LR snap caps. I have found a very good, and inexpensive, alternate to snap caps.

Instead use Drywall anchors,  size: #4-6 x 7/8".  The following is a You Tube link showing the use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85tUrBclL1E

I tried the use in my Savage Mark II.  They work for me.  I loaded the 10-rnd clip and they inserted and ejected as if a 22 LR.

Since I can cock the rifle by raising and lowering the bolt handle, but not moving the bolt back and forth, I can dry fire on the same dry wall anchor.  The limit of dry fires per anchor is recommended to be 10.

That is a cheap way to dry fire and protect the gun.