News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Graben River Farm instructors Known Distance Clinic June 24-26

Started by DrJohn, June 27, 2016, 01:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Lovely Graben River Farm in Elbert County, Georgia was the venue for an instructors Known Distance Clinic. This has been the location for the annual Georgia instructors (Appleseed instructors from outside the state are warmly welcome) for the last several years. In keeping with the custom established a while ago, we began the event with a non-shooting but related day of instruction on Friday June 24. Most of the participants in the event arrived on Friday and the semi-temporary target line was erected and the various firing lines were laid out. We ate a communal lunch Friday, and all our other meals together as well, thanks to Scarlett and Scar with help from everyone else, including Brianf31, who was one of the principle cooks for breakfast. Friday afternoon we were treated to a superb Field Communications class presented by xsquidgator, who drove up an ungodly distance from Florida to join his Georgia family.

After breakfast Saturday we got off to a flying start, intending to get much of the shooting done before the intense heat of the Georgia summer afternoon. We reserved the later part of the afternoon for the indoors classroom work, then had a memorable Low Country boil joined by our local host and his wife, Dr. and Mrs. M.

Because of the intense heat Saturday, it was suggested we have a very early breakfast Sunday and get all our shooting in before our final meal together, Sunday lunch. All those remaining took down the line and cleaned up in record time, and then we enjoyed each others' company for a while before those last remaining took their leave and headed back home.

Congratulations to Balz1968 for scoring Rifleman at Long Distance (48 out of 50), xsquidgator (49 out of 50) and Peachy (40 out of 50). And a very special thanks to Roswell for his putting together a special tribute to this instructor, which our gracious attendees watched with me Saturday afternoon, when I am positive they would rather have eaten sooner and gotten to bed a bit earlier. The heat and the exercise had taken its toll, and I am deeply grateful to all, and to the many who shared their experiences and pictures with Roswell, but who were unable to attend the event. I am both humbled and gratified at the honor bestowed me. Thank you all.

One matter of business should be mentioned. Someone left a very expensive Yeti mug behind when they left. It has been secured and will be returned to its owner if you will notify me or Goose. Thank you all for making this such a special, productive, and enjoyable event. God bless you all. And may Liberty increase forever!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Roswell

Thank you to John for putting together a great event. And to the Fosters and everyone else that had a hand in getting us fed. Also, thank you to Tom for his instruction on comms.

I wish I could have stayed Sunday, but that heat took way too much out of me. I was falling asleep during lunch and followed it up with a nap for an hour and a half before dinner. The prospect of sleeping in a hot tent and waking before 6 and doing it all over again was too much. I got home at 1AM Sunday morning and slept for 8 1/2 hours, woke up and ate then slept for 2 1/2 hours. I'm still beat! I learned a lot though - including, I need to get in shape! Hope to see you all again soon!

I didn't get as many pictures as usual, but wanted to share what I did get.

After zeroing I took a picture of my turrets for record keeping (they were later loosened with an allen key and moved to the zero mark)

The view outside my tent Saturday morning...

The AMAZING Low Country Boil organized by Scar and Scarlette

BrianF31 taking advantage of the coolness in the fading light to get his zero

Congratulations Peachy! (Sorry Balz1968  and xsquidgator for not getting pics of you guys getting patches, but I was taking a nap in an attempt to get out of the heat. - I cheated and pulled Peachy's pic off Facebook  ;) )

It was great spending time with everyone and I hope to see you all again soon!

Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Ramblin' Wreck

I wish I could have been there for the fellowship but I don't regret missing the 104 degree heat. Y'all wouldn't have wanted to haul me around with this cast anyway.   ;D

Next time.

Wreck

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

brianf31

I look forward to this event every year. If I could only attend one shooting activity, this would be it - and it has nothing to do with shooting. As Roswell says, it's like a family reunion but with people you want to see.

Thanks for all who put in so much work to make it happen.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

MC

I didn't get to shoot much, the heat got to me, back went out on me, but I wouldn't miss an Elberton event unless I was unconscious. Good to see you all and I look forward to the next one. Thanks to all who were there!! And to those who weren't, you were missed.
"If those in charge of our society - politicians, corporate executives, and owners of press and television - can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves." -Howard Zinn

Texas T

Sounds like it was a great event. Perhaps I can make it down some year and join you.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017