News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Salem, Ohio 6-25 & 26, 2016

Started by Corvette, June 27, 2016, 12:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

What a great Appleseed!!!  This was my first visit to the Salem Hunting Club in Salem, Ohio and what a great time I had.  I want to give my thanks to Jay and the club for being fantastic hosts for our event.  Thirteen shooters arrived with great attitudes ready to start their Appleseed experience. 

The weekend started with a welcome and the traditional safety briefing.  This was followed with the Saturday morning Red Coat.  The results were mixed with half of the shooters competent at 100 yards but not a lot beyond 100 yds.
Instructions on the steady hold factors in prone followed, with the six steps to firing a shot coming next, and the concept of Natural Point of Aim was introduced.  Before we knew it, it was lunch time and the First Strike was presented. 

Seated steady hold factors was presented after lunch and this was followed by off-hand steady hold and the Second Strike at the afternoon break. Everyone was working hard on their skills but the sun and the heat was taking its toll. We were able to complete a practice AQT and the day came to a close with the afternoon Red Coat.  Improvement was seen with the afternoon Red Coat.

Sunday dawned with clear skies and light breezes. After a safety review and a quick review of the POI's from Saturday, we presented the Third Strike.  This was followed with the morning Red Coat, Results were encouraging with 11 of 12 shooters competent at 100, almost half at 200 and 2 joining Daniel Morgan.  We then worked on trigger control with a trigger control drill which was followed by our first AQT of the weekend.

We had our first two Riflemen of the weekend during this AQT.  Howard in his first AS and his first AQT put up a monster 227 and Jay requalified with a solid 218. Additional AQT's were shot and Howard continued to show his skills.  In four total AQT's he posted three qualifying scores of 227, 213 and 218.

We had others knocking on the door.  Jessica posted several solid scores with a 201 being her highest.  I am convinced Jessica will get her patch the next time she joins us. We finished the weekend with the afternoon Red Coat.

We then broke the line into two groups, the instructors remained on our 25 meter line and a group of the shooters moved to the 200 yard range to shoot the M1 Garand while our instructors had the chance to shoot several AQT's.
Birdman put up his usual monster scores (244 and 246) while out other Instustuctors/IIT's also worked on their skills.
The event came to a close and all went home encouraged on what they had learned and pleased with the work they had put in. 

My hat is off to Susan and Jarrett who worked hard all weekend to improve their skills. To Ed, Hannah and Jessica, it is always my pleasure to have you join us. To David, it was a pleasure to see you and your family again on the line. Keep working at it, remember, it took me five Appleseeds before I figured it out.

My thanks to Wheeler, TexasT, Birdman, and Dom for helping me with this shoot.  I look forward to returning to Salem in the future another shoot.

To all, please post your comments and pictures.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

cwcdl79

EXCELLENT weekend at Salem! Beautiful weather (a touch warm for me  ;) ), but everyone stayed well hydrated. A lot of good fundamentals worked on and absorbed by the students. Jessica did an excellent job of ALWAYS keeping her muzzle in a safe direction, even when she kept getting pelted with hot brass from Hannah!

Texas T

This was a very safe group. Even though the heat got to nearly all (instructors included), safety was never less than Number 1. Thanks to all who attended. I'll be uploading a few photos of the event.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

The group, on the line for the first Redcoat...
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Instruction on prone, being provided by a national champion shooter...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Demonstration of NPOA

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Raising awareness of the actions and abilities of a few Dangerous Old Men and Women

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

A few awards being presented. Special congrats to Howard, first Appleseed, qualified as a Rifleman, followed up by two repeats. 3 out of 4 AQTs scoring above the 210 mark is pretty impressive.

MI IBC, February 2017

Birdman

Salem Hunting Club, thank you for hosting us again! As always, thanks to Jay for treating all of us like royalty. The orange hats performed like champs, great job! And to Corvette, great job and I'm glad you were finally able to visit Salem Hunting Club...nice, eh?
To all the shooters, excellent job....even in that heat, you all did an incredible job of being safe. Keep working on the six steps and your NPOA. From what we could see, you all looked like Rifleman with great form. Keep working on the six steps and NPOA and those groups will continue to shrink and that Rifleman patch will soon be yours! Don't be discouraged!

Howard....what can I say, but great job. I knew early on that you were fully capable of Rifleman, but gee wizz, 227 on your first ever AQT? WOW! Keep an eye out for our next Ohio FULL DISTANCE Appleseed event at New Philadelphia!