News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sherrill, Iowa 25-26 June 2016

Started by IXOYE, June 26, 2016, 12:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IXOYE

We started off the weekend  with a great first day. It was a pleasure to have the entire Happel family make the trek to the Dubuque area to learn some history and marksmanship skills. I was especially encouraged to see the remarkable progress Andrea and the two younger boys demonstrated during the day. Kudos to Andrea, August, & Stefan! Greg and Martin had been to previous Appleseeds so they already had a good foundation and shot quite well. Because we had several newbies our pace was a little slower than normal, but we made up for it by running to almost 6:00. The temperature and humidity were both in the 90's but that didn't keep anyone from staying the course.

As usual, the range where we held the shoot was an absolute dream - almost like a state park. Many thanks go out to Lyle for sharing his place with us.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Here is a group picture we took at the end of the day.

The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! (Edmund Burke)

IXOYE

Day two didn't start off too well for me. When I arrived at the range both my pop-up shelter and my homemade firing line shade were down due to the thunder storms during the night. My pop-up was destroyed. The line shade just needed to be set back up. The rest of the day went very well. August cleared his Red Coat in the morning and Greg was knocking at the rifleman door with a 199 in the afternoon. Everyone continued to show great improvement in their marksmanship skills and we had some good discussions about liberty and dangerous old men at lunch time.

I'll try to post a few more pictures tomorrow or the next day when I have time to work on it.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! (Edmund Burke)

TheFatMan

This was an awesome time. It was hot. The kids got a little tired. I learned more good history. I was very happy to have my wife Andrea show up for this. Guess what else she learned... she loves the smell of gun powder.

I went to facebook tonight and invited 100+ people to the Homeschool Appleseed and Appleseed Project pages. Four have already accepted. Now that Andrea is excited about it, we can put more effort into promotion as a family. Thanks Rex for helping plant that seed in my family.

God's blessings to you Rex and thanks to Lyle for letting us use his range!

IXOYE

Here are some pictures from day two!

Thunderstorm damage

Checking NPOA

Proudly wearing his shirt on day two

Martin

Winner of most improved award

Knocking on the door to rifleman

Finally found a good seated position

Shooting like a champ

Ready for a sling next time

Ditched the rain soaked carpet mats

Shooting well but ran out of time

Cleared his Red Coat

Sling starting to slip

Last AQT of the day

Went from Newbie to Marksman in two days

The family that shoots together stays together

Texas T

Looks like a great event. It's wonderful to see full-family involvement.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017