News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dryfire and the rifleman

Started by jmdavis, June 22, 2016, 01:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodoldfriend

I am ashamed to admit I have not found the way to get myself to do dry fire at home yet.

However I am getting to the range and doing a little better. I am not shooting timed AQT targets but I am shooting AQTs.

My last 3 on Wednesday were between a low of 211 and high of 223.

I need to add the dry fire to build strength and control.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

jmdavis

My experience has been that if you can shoot it untimed you can shoot it timed. I don't recall a single exception to that statement. Met people shoot too fast, and deprive themselves of points.

You need to dryfire other than at the range. It will help you. There is a story about 1972 Olympic Silver Medallist and 1976 Olympic Gold Medallist Lanny Bassham. After the 1976 Olympics, he wanted to win the 1978 World Championship for 50m smallbore. His job in the Army kept him away from the range for 2 years. As a matter of fact his only trips to  a Range in 1977 and 1978 were 3 days each year to win the National Championships. Since he couldn't go to the range he set aside time after his family had gone to bed and dry fired then. Imagine not shooting a live round outside of the National Championships, using dryfire as your training method and winning the Nationals twice as well as going on to become World Champion.

If you have the will, you will find the way.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

goodoldfriend

Mr. Davis,

Thanks for your encouragement. The statement that those who shoot it untimed can shoot it times especially is a confidence booster.

I can also see how the dry fire practice can help me with things like the magazine changes. I can work out a lot of that stuff in dry fire.

I will see how much will I have when I get home this evening after work...LOL.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016