News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bowie, MD, June 11, 2016

Started by southseasnurse, June 16, 2016, 09:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southseasnurse

Great one-day shoot last Saturday at Berwyn Rod and Gun Club.  Had 5 shooters on the line, 3 with .22 rifles and a first-timer with an AR-15, and one brave soul with an honest-to-goodness Garand.  Weather started cool and beautiful, warmed to balmy and breezy.  First shots downrange at 0900; first Redcoat of the day showed with 2 qualified at 100 yards and 2 at 2 at 200 yards, so I guess Marylander first-timers can outshoot Texas first-timers by a mile.  Moved quickly through squares and positions, broken by a motivating First Strike by special guest BeSwift and my own humble efforts at the Second Strike, and moved along to the Grind by 1400.  Saw one returning Rifleman requalify (following by some some vigorous 7th stepping to go along with his patch), and our AR-15 shooter score a 206.  If not for struggling with a ftf on the sitting position, I'm confident he would have had it, so keep it up!.  3rd Strike and DOM, one more AQT, and then the afternoon Redcoat with all shooters on the board (including 2 at 400 and one nailing the square).  Welcome to the Rifle Company, sir!  All in all, nice day at a nice range, and as always, big thanks to Berwyn and MikeCee for being the best of hosts!
'Ask a Soviet engineer to design a pair of shoes and he'll come up with something that looks like the boxes that the shoes came in; ask him to make something that will massacre Germans, and he turns into Thomas %&*#ing Edison.'-Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

PB4Y1

It was a great experience doing an Appleseed with the M1.  I learned a lot about myself doing so.  I knew going from a scoped .22 to a .30-06 with iron sights was going to be a big challenge, but the fundamentals stay the same and I was extremely pleased to qualify at 400 and to have come within a fraction of an inch of clearing the afternoon redcoat.  A big thank you to BeSwift for his help and I think the whole crew got a big kick out of seeing the old warhorse on the line.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

"...Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence..." - John Adams

MikeCee

Qualified Rifleman Feb 2014 - Annapolis, MD
Requalified Rifleman July 2014 - Waldorf, MD
Joined Applecore July 2014
Requalified Rifleman May 2017 - Annapolis, MD

Texas T

Sounds like quite an experience. I've just moved from my M&P 15-22 to a full M&P 15. Seeing/feeling the difference there has been exciting, I can only imagine some day moving further up the scale, after I've saved up enough for the CMP.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017