News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

MOA Scales

Started by NightFisher, June 16, 2016, 04:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightFisher

I attended a KD recently and one of the exercises we did on the 25M range was to work out a method to measure MOA using our Front Sight Post or Scope.  We blacked in squares on a sighter target to give us something to measure with.  I recently purchased a scope with hash marks supposedly calibrated for drop on a .308 and I was curious as to how many MOA was between each range mark so I made up a placard to use at 100 Yards to measure MOA.  I don't know if anyone else has a use for it but I am attaching a couple of PDFs.  The first one has vertical bars from 1 MOA to 8 MOA when viewed at 100 yards.  The second has vertical and horizontal bars from 1 MOA to 14 or 15 MOA when viewed from 25 yards.  Print them out at 100% (not fit to page), every printer I have tried them on seems to be pretty accurate.

jmdavis

There is a tool in the instructor area of the forum. I posted the original and then Shootboss BD redid it in CAD. It is an inverse triangle going from basically 1 to 14 MOA
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

ITB

Here's the original tool.  I still use this, and always have one on my clipboard during events.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

jmdavis

That's far from the original. The original was a drawn photocopy, that I got from a Junior Birdman in 2008. The second was my scan of that photocopy to create a pdf. The third was BDs CAD copy in 2010 or 2011.

But that is a pretty good one, if the colors work for people. Regardless of what you use, remember to check the output with a good ruler to have an accurate measurement. You may need to print slightly larger or smaller to get it right to the 1/4 inch (ie, 1 MOA).

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner