News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Summerville, GA June 11-12 2016 - Chattooga County Wildlife Club

Started by Roswell, June 13, 2016, 03:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roswell

Wow! What a weekend! A big thank you to the Chattooga County Wildlife Club whom is always very courteous to us. I arrived to find the line already set up, giant tents from the local funeral home erected and 2 portapottys. Not to mention they greeted us Saturday morning with doughnuts, coffee and water. This past weekend's event in Summerville, GA was amazingly hot and hovered in the mid to high 90's pretty much all weekend with off the charts humidity. Believe me when I say that you couldn't drink water fast enough. Despite this though, we had 5 stalwart patriots turn out. Thank you to Robert B., Tommy G., Sabra M., Charlie M., and Charles M.  :bow:

My pets decided to "help" me pack for this weekend's event...

Finally, I was able to load up. Luckily, thanks to the club I actually got to pack "light".  :P

With just DrJohn and I instructing, we were pretty busy all weekend so, I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I usually do. In fact, we moved pretty quickly through things even by Appleseed standards. Our morning Redcoat target showed that we had a lot to work on, but everyone was very attentive to our instruction and we were able to move right along. By lunch time we were all ready for a nice break in the shade. Yours truly told the First Strike of the Match and I was followed up by DrJohn with the Second Strike (as seen below).

After lunch it was back to the line for more trigger time.  :--- 

DrJohn helped everyone understand that their targets were talking to them and let them in on the concept of Inches, Minutes and Clicks.

Soon it was time to switch things up and try out the Seated Position.

We were able to get in One AQT before deciding to call it quits for the day. I related to the students the story of Timothy Murphy and how one man can make a difference. We were able to leave the range about 4:30 with all of us pretty exhausted. I encouraged all to continue to hydrate and take some OTC medication.

Sunday we began a little earlier than usual thanks to the brilliant suggestion of Tommy G. to get some trigger time before it became too unbearable. By 8:20 we were shooting our first sighter group and by 10:15 we were done reviewing all the marksmanship and starting the day's second AQT. When we stopped for an early lunch DrJohn told us about Dr. Joseph Warren and Hezekiah Wyman, followed up by my telling of David Lamson, Mother Batherick and Samuel Whittemore. Then we rolled right into a real treat with DrJohn relating the Philosophy of Liberty according to the founding fathers.  O0

After that respite, it was back to the line! Our dedication was awarded when at the end of the day Charlie M. stepped forth with a qualifying score of 213! Huzzah Charlie!  ^:)^

- Charlie M. - Congratulations sir and well done! Your willingness to stick things out all weekend in the heat was admirable and I am glad it paid off.

- Charles M. - Thank you so much for bring the whole family. I really get a special joy at seeing families attend our events. Your persistence through all the rifle difficulties was also admirable and I know as soon as you get that sorted out you will be a formidable force.

- Sabra M. - It was great to watch your improvement and hear your shouts of glee when your persistence paid off and you saw that group shrink.

- Tommy G. - It is always a pleasure to see you and I know that patch will soon be yours. Your calm demeanor is infectious and your willingness to go, go, go is amazing.

- Robert B. - I'm sorry you couldn't join us the second day, but commend you for knowing it was a good time to sit out. Good luck to you at Waco and I know you will do well.

I hope to see all of you on the trail in the future and know that each of you has what it takes to make Rifleman.  Don't forget perfect practice makes perfect! Dry fire! Dry fire! And then when you are done, dry fire! :)

Please everyone else feel free to comment and share any pictures if you have them.

In Liberty,
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

rkbrumbelow

Thanks for everything this weekend, I only made it out for day one, but am at least more ready for Waco this weekend. I hated not coming out, but some meds and firearms simply do not mix at all. Better to wave off and do a go around than take the risk.

Thanks to everyone for your kindness and support as well as the teaching, coaching and companionship. All in all it was a worthwhile endevour.

Also, mucho grats to Charlie!

Now the next question is, how many people does it take to 'make' an event. i ask because if the shooting club at Augusta takes off, sponsoring one for our incoming members plus the general populace might be a thing to look into.

tommy72

Roswell is right about the heat last weekend. When I left Saturday my car was telling me it was 97 degrees and I have no reason to doubt it. By the end of the day I was wishing that Rambling Wreck was one of the instructors simply because it has rained at every Appleseed I have been to that he was an instructor. Sunday it did rain a little but only enough to increase the humidity  not cool anything down. Roswell I got my scope on the 22 to focus correctly after I got home and had time to mess with it but may stick to the center fire anyway cause it's much more fun. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys some where down the road.

Roswell

rkbrumbelow,

It was great having you with us Saturday and it sounds like you might the right decision for Sunday.  I enjoyed your humor and appreciated your candor. Work on all you learned and try to get that rifle sorted out and you will be well on your way to Rifleman. I wish you well at Waco.

If you have a place that wishes to host an Appleseed, we essentially need a 25 meter range that allows at least ten shooters. Check out the link below for more details.

[url]http://appleseedinfo.org/host_appleseed.html[url]

tommy72,

Glad you got that scope sorted out. I need to put some loctite on my own. Lol. I understand your feeling though. When you spend a good amount of time behind a centerfire its hard to go back. You'll need that centerfire anyway if you intend on attending that KD in Talladega or engaging targets at distance anywhere for that matter. You certainly shot well without too. Don't forget to check that mag release spring. If you get that out of the way your mag changes will improve and your stage 2 & 3 scores will get even better. Seeing your standing scores I can tell the weight and recoil aren't an issue for you.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23