News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP Talladega, AL KD 29-30MAY16

Started by Maximum Ordinate, June 09, 2016, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

It was the second full KD at Talladega CMP and they just keep getting better!

On Friday, the instructors met to set up the range and get a bit of trigger time themselves.  Ramblin Wreck, Google, and I were met my Agrivere who joined us for the day!  Towards the end of the day, we hiked the length and breadth of Range 5 where we planned out our Unknown Distance exercises and posted targets for shooters to find!

Saturday morning came early and found your instructors enjoying the traditional Waffle House breakfast!  Then, it was off to the range.  Thankfully, the CMP staff had coffee on and we prepped for class.  It was awesome to have fellow instructors AuAdvisor and Col Barrett from Alabama and Michael from Georgia joining us as shooters!  After a safety briefing from the CMP staff, we jumped into classroom instruction.  I'm grateful to both Wreck and Google for their professionalism and teamwork.

Then, it was off to range 2, the 100 yard electronic range.  At range one, we confirmed zero with some sighters and gathered data on our rifles.  Then, we spent time refining the standing position.  Everyone got some good practice in and we had some who started with nothing on the backer and finally posting nice groups!  Taylor, you really rocked it out!  :-)

We had lunch at the pavilion.  During lunch, we heard the history of the government corruption during War of the Regulation and the Battle of Alamance in North Carolina.  Following that, we had a class on range estimation and then measured our front sights & reticles in preparation for the practical exercise.  Moving out to Range 5, we started Target Detection & Range Estimation.

We had previously hidden targets throughout the Range 5 and our shooters needed to detect them using only their rifle!  A couple of shooters found 3, many found 2, but I don't think anyone found all four targets (someone will chime in if I'm mistaken.)  Even the instructors agreed it was a tough test, as the sun changed positions in the sky making the targets more difficult to find.   It showed one thing for sure: no matter how good a shot are, if you can't detect the target - you can't hit it. 

Overlooking the area, the terrain is deceptive.  Dead reckoning to estimate range will fail you.  However, properly applying field expedient range estimation techniques will get you close enough.  A couple of folks, including Walt, did exceptionaly well!   O0  In the end, this exercise reinforced one point discussed earlier: if you don't know the range of your target - you can't hit it!

We wrapped up just a few minutes after the park closed at 5.  Sunday morning came along and we were the only group at CMP.  I want to give a special thank you to Don (Top) Heuman for sacrificing time with his family on this holiday weekend to host us.  We are truly grateful.

After some classroom time discussing environmental factors, we went out to Range 1.  Range 1 allows us to shoot out to 600 yards - and we did just that!  We shot sighters to gather data first.  Then we shot two AQTs, broke for lunch and some more marksmanship discussion and then two more AQTs!  During lunch, Wreck shared with us story of the Overmountain Men, Major Ferguson, and the Battle of Kings Mountain. 

We had three KD Rifleman this weekend:  Kyle, Ryan, and Michael!  Each of them shot multiple qualifying AQTs.. including Kyle who qualified on every one!    ^:)^

It was a fun weekend and it was good to meet everyone.  My special thanks to my fellow instructors who came out to make this event special!

-Rusty

Group photo:

Google talking Milliradians:

Practicing Standing:

Taylor being awesome:

Gotta love the target system:

Wreck as Line Boss:

Sighters at 200:

Talking with CMP Staff:

Some instructor coaching on Friday:
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Texas T

Looks like a great range. Maybe I'll get down that way at some point. Also looks like it was great weather for the event.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017