News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, June 4-5, 2016

Started by eert, June 06, 2016, 10:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eert

Greetings Shooters!

What a weekend!  Hot, hot, and more hot.  But that didn't deter this group.  We had a packed line with 25 shooters (one no-show) on Saturday.  Luckily we were adequately staffed with Instructors as Earl, Savage Shooter, and Journey all traveled to help out the regular Coeur d'Alene instructors. 

The morning started slow with many of the shooters needing basic action and safety manipulation coaching due to new rifles, some of which were not sighted in. No AQTs were shot in the time standard for score on Saturday, but the afternoon Red Coat target showed great improvement by about half of the remaining shooters.  Expectations were high for Sunday!

We broke up the afternoon heat wave with the Second Strike presented in what little shade was to be had.

Sunday did not disappoint and the prone groups showed vast improvement by everybody on the morning squares target.   After lunch and a great Third Strike presented by Roland, we started shooting AQTs for score.  I believe Kelleye shot the first Rifleman score on the first AQT after lunch.  HUZZAH!  Ken requalified with three RM scores, must be time to take up the Orange Hat, my friend!

Kurt, a repeat attendee earned his Rifleman patch to the cheers of the mob of youth shooters he brought along.  Barry and Steve both shot Rifleman on their first Appleseed event.  Steve actually came up to me afterwards to mention that this was his first rifle and box of ammunition, and that his score was-in his words-"all on you", meaning the Instructors.  So Huzzahs all around!

We awarded 10 Young Patriot patches to our youth shooters.  We saw such outstanding improvement on these youngsters Sunday that it was hard to believe it was the same group Saturday.  Riley's groups were getting better with every stage, and needing only a bit more NPOA to get them on target.  Shelby, Mikayla, and Meaka all utilized different customized Stage 2 positions.  Great innovation ladies, keep up the good work!  Tanner and Jayden, keep that focus.  Erick and Cooper, sorry the heat got to you, and you had to miss some of the stages.  Dry practice those six steps and your positions, and all of you will be shooting better scores next time.

Martin ran a sweet little .300BO bolty and deserves an honorable mention.  Study that video I sent you, and you'll be running that bolt fast enough to rule the transition stages!  Chad and Lita, thanks for coming back, and I hope Chad's back gets better!  Practice those positions and 6 steps with Dry Fire, and I hope to see you all again.  Zack and Alisha, I'm glad we could fit you into the class.  You both were shooting great at times, just not at all the times!

To all-please utilize Dry Practice to build those positions and ingrain the 6 Steps and Natural Point of Aim.  If you would like some Dry Practice targets scaled for in home distances, send me a Personal Message and I'll get them emailed to you. 

To my traveling Instructors Savage Shooter, Earl and Journey, thank you for coming such great distances to help out.  It was a bit strange to have the Instructor that ran my first Instructor Boot Camp working as an Instructor-in-Training under me.  Welcome back SS, it was a pleasure working with you and meeting you again.  Earl, you are the rock of Appleseed Instructors, thanks for your gentle guidance.  Journey, your skill continues to grow, keep it up. Roland, my boy, you are now a better instructor than I am. Your ability to fine tune shooters is amazing.  Andy, thanks also, and I can't hardly wait until you earn your Green Hat!  Reina, our newly minted Orange Hat, welcome to the fray!  I bet you slept pretty darn good Sunday night!

As I've said before, the very best thing about Appleseed is the great folks you meet.  Thanks for making another great memory. 

Now I've got loaner rifles to clean. 

Please post your thoughts. 
Shoot straight!

EERT/Pat

Earl

Great Appleseed, but I have tried to reply twice and it didn't work.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Earl

Pictures to post
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Earl

Day two

Earl

:wb:

Earl

;)

Earl

From my blog http://earl-earlsview.blogspot.com/2016/06/june-in-idaho-almost-sizzling-summer.html

thank y'all for participation, safe shooting, and carrying on our traditions. 

Plinker300

What a great weekend to learn the FUNdamentals of marksmanship! I knew my lack of experience with my bolt action would slow me down, but I really wanted to attend. It's amazing how much you guys and gals pack into a weekend. Kelleye was really happy with her last Redcoat on Saturday, but was completely caught off guard when Pat awarded her the Rifleman patch for her AQT after lunch on Sunday. I am very proud of her!

On top of all the history and marksmanship skills, we met some really great folks. All of the instructors were happy to help, and very patient. We didn't get much socializing in, but our neighbors Zach and Alisha were really nice and we enjoyed having them next to us. I'm guessing we'll team up down the road for some more range time and AQT practice.

Even though I didn't earn my patch, I couldn't be happier with the results. I now have a much better idea of what it will take next time. This will not be our last event- we have already started discussing when and where the next one will be! Overall, it was a truly awesome experience.. and, I'm pretty sure we saved a Corgi from certain death...  -Plinker300 aka Martin

scuzzy

Quote from: eert on June 06, 2016, 10:59:31 PM
.  Luckily we were adequately staffed with Instructors as Earl, Savage Shooter, and Journey all traveled to help out the regular Coeur d'Alene instructors. 

SavageShootr? Cool! She told me she was going to get involved again. Man that is one Lady I'd love to meet.

Curious - any of you guys ever hear from Reformed Redneck or Tru Tenacity? Tru and her girls a truly good people.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mr. Clean

Plinker300, All I can say now is PERSIST.  Your stages 1 and 4 had all the marks of a rifleman score.  As you said, you were somewhat handicapped by a bolt gun new to you.  That only hurt your scores in the stages 2 and 3 where time is a factor.  Work on the smooth and efficient operation of that bolt (think conservation of motion).  That AQT developed over the years with new technology but it started when we were using 1903 Springfields.  It was made to be a test for bolt guns.

Also, I can't stress enough how much you will improve between now and your next Appleseed if you dry practice.  How many precious seconds are lost dropping down into position, finding your NPOA, fumbling the mag before you get your first shot off.  All of that can be practiced at home without a single shot fired (no expense).  Try doing that racing against the clock.  Try to get your time down to 8 seconds from "fire" command to hammer fall (dry).  You will also save time on mag changes adding up to more time to get all your shots off.
Mr. Clean

Earl

Scuzzy - Reformed Redneck and the entire clan are still hanging out on Facebook, and last year I stayed with them while working an Appleseed in Lewiston - they will always be good people.

Plinker300, the bolt isn't a detractor, the getting into position quickly and into the NPOA is the key.  Check out that Youtube video. That is what you can practice at home, off the range, break it down and get flexible and settled quickly every time.  You will earn that Rifleman patch, same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice. Hope to be there when it happens. O0

eert

Plinker300,

Scaled dry fire targets inbound on your email.  These worked wonders for Roland and I after our first Appleseed.  Add the time factor for stage II and III, and you'll be there in no time. 

Stage II- 55 seconds, 5 shots each target, start standing, shoot sitting or kneeling
Stage III- 65 seconds, 3, 3, 4 ; start standing, shoot prone

EERT

Journey

Not much to add to what everyone else has already said... This shoot was among the best that I have attended for overall shooter improvement. I wouldn't have believed that the targets that I saw on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon were from the same group of shooters, except I saw it myself!

I think that the heat was getting to most everyone (myself included) by the end of both days, but I was encouraged to see that the shooters were still engaged despite it.

It was awesome meeting new shooters and seeing familiar faces as well. It was also great to see the usual CDA cadre, as well as work with the wonderfully talented Earl and SavageShootr. Congrats on the orange hat Reina; I know already that you will be a great help to the program!

Plinker300, how'd the dog rescue at the end of the shoot turn out? Thanks for looking out for our canine friend!

I've attached a few photos; I think Earl takes better pictures than me and also got all of our Riflemen and Young Patriots, but if you'd like another angle of your patch award, or anything, feel free to PM me!

Journey

I have no luck uploading pictures...

Journey

And... One more!

Plinker300

I will say it again- What a great experience! It's been nearly a week, and we are still getting help and guidance. Thank you all for the input- I will dry fire and work on my transition times. I think I might have an old .22 bolt action in the safe somewhere.. If I remember correctly it needs a mag and some work.. Might have to drag that out.

As for the Corgi we found next to the road, he was happy to find some shade under our car. A Sheriffs deputy happened to be headed in to the range to sight in a new rifle. We flagged him down, and he contacted animal control and waited with us. We gave the dog a quick bath with cool water and sent him on his way. I am hoping he was chipped and returned to his/her owner.

wstrngnnt

I would once again like to thank all of the instructors, the info that I was able to absorb and learn from was great.  I am already trying to figure out when I can get to another shoot. 
It was great seeing the kids participate all weekend and make big improvements.

I had a goal of shooting Rifleman before the weekend was over and with the help of the instructors I squeaked in on the last AQT.  Considering how little experience I have shooting open sights there is no way I could have done it without them.  Big thanks the Dirk for the help.

looking forward to the next one
thanks,
Barry

SP RN

Hey Pat aka Shoot Boss,
Old Steve here.  Drove back to Boise on Monday and right back to a very busy three days at StLukes on Tues/Wed/Thurs.  First chance to write back is today, so here goes.
The Appleseed program was more, in every way, than I expected it to be.  I had no knowledge and no way to set up real expectations, but still I had hopes to learn and improve. I had no idea. 
As it turned out, especially with the heat, I staggered back to the inn each evening. It wasn't lack of fluids; I've had kidney issues in the past so am well aware of how important it is to hydrate.  But it was very strenuous for me.  Old knees, creaky back, need both hands to stand but can only use one because the muzzle MUST be kept pointed in a safe direction, you get the idea. Please understand, I'm not saying this is bad, and I'm not averse to a workout (back in the day I was an under-3 hour marathon runner, I know about pain)... this is a VERY VERY worthwhile program, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  But this time I'd know how hard it was going to be going in.
It became real clear to me real fast that my decades of handgun experience were only gonna help me a little.  Some of it is because I was taught back in the mid-80's at the Reserve Officer academy back in Maine, and things have changed. (who knew about respiratory pause?)  And, I've had time to develop bad habits. But mostly it was just that there is so much to learn, and that's where you guys really shined.  The level of instruction was as good as any course I've ever taken in my 44 year career as an RN and better than many.  With so many students, I couldn't believe the amount of times an instructor was over my shoulder teaching me something... and then there was Earl, who lied down flat on the concrete next to me and watched my prone segments, trying to help.  And he succeeded.
Another unexpected thing was the history lessons, and also the quality of the speakers who delivered them.  Dirk stands out as having almost brought tears to my eyes with the passion and strength of his content.
And then there was that last qualifier I shot, after Earl's hints on trigger-finger and thumb position and on finding npoa.  As I approached the target and could see the improvement in patterns and score, I got a chill.  It was amazing. And when  Dirk brought the targets back after scoring and I asked him how I did and he told me I'd find out later I was open-mouth stunned.  Couldn't believe it. So when you gave me back my target with a 219 on it I was again almost in tears.  I had no expectation or even belief that I'd learn enough to come close, no less do it.  The 136 I shot early was understandable, and as I improved up to 170-something I felt good. 219? naah, out of range. But there it was and I'd done it.
If the photo of you shaking my hand while giving me that target is findable, I'd love it if you could email it to me. That moment made me very happy.
Thanks to you, Dirk, ol' Earl, Savage Cindy, Andy, Journey, who am I forgetting? You're a good group and I'm glad I came to your class.
Stephen Palley RN     Boise

ps I read your on line post too, and if you can email the scaled target I will surely dryfire practice!
pps I also noted my unorthodox prone position in the photo, legs back, right leg not bent up, leg angle to target not standard, flat flat prone not up-a-little body.  But it was the idea of npoa that was drilled in and Earl had just worked on with me and I tried the orthodox position as taught and it hurt too much to settle into and I tried repositioning and repositioning but when I settled down into that last position and did the npoa breathing/eyes-closed-then-open test and the crosshairs hadn't moved a bit I knew that I'd finally found npoa, at least for prone, and that last AQT showed it.
That's all I got. Thanks again.   sp

Journey

Quote from: SP RN on June 15, 2016, 12:19:02 AM
If the photo of you shaking my hand while giving me that target is findable, I'd love it if you could email it to me. That moment made me very happy.

I have a picture of you receiving your Rifleman patch... I'm sure someone else also got the shot, if they'd like to chime in!

SP RN

Thanks for finding the photo, Journey.
I realize that one 219 does not a great shooter make, but remember I was low-to-mid 100's on Saturday, and everything that got crammed into this head and body to improve my skills and score came from you instructors. To say that I was impressed with the level of teaching puts it mildly.  Thanks again to all.
SP RN