News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD at Cavalier

Started by jmdavis, June 06, 2016, 03:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

Who would be interested if I were to schedule a 1 day KD at Cavalier? We would shoot standing and sitting at 200, rapid prone at 300 and slow prone at 400 on paper targets. I bought enough Real D-target centers (out to the 2 ring and 48X48) to use those or to shoot (my preference) on round targets.

This would need to be scheduled after the first of the year and we would have to find a Saturday that the board would approve. But if there is interest I will do it.

This would not be an Appleseed event, since I am no longer a shootboss. It would be a shooting event with Appleseeders attending. I wouldn't expect to get more than a couple of AQT's in. The first would be shot with sighters and checking, repairing the targets. The second would be shot straight through without checking and scoring the individual targets in the end. People attending would essentially be my guests and I will try to get VAShooter out as well. I know he would like to come out.

Cost would be only the cost of having enough frames for shooters at 200, 300, and 400. 3 2x4's will build a 48 inch target frame and we have room for 6 or more at each yardline. Plan on 200 rounds of ammo total. We will first zero all rifles on Range 1 at 100 yards and then move to Range 5 to shoot the KD.

Thoughts? Comments?

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

FiremanBob

I would love to do this and will make every effort to be there, whenever you set it for.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Monkey

"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

jmdavis

Ok, I will bring it up at the board meeting  on Sunday and start the process of getting a date. Off the top if my head I am thinking the third Saturday in February.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

AMHLDO

Mike,

You have my attention.  I would also make every attempt to be present.

Kirt

navybowhunter

BD

Mike, I know you are surprised, but I am in.
I hope the Republic lasts until the end of the year, so we can do it.
Up the Republic

misawa

In.  Good incentive to finally get a real rifle to participate.

jmdavis

Kirt, contact me with dates that could work and I will try to make it happen on those dates as opposed to my SWAG 6 months out. The same goes for Monkey and others.

Monkey

Quote from: jmdavis on June 09, 2016, 06:08:35 AM
Kirt, contact me with dates that could work and I will try to make it happen on those dates as opposed to my SWAG 6 months out. The same goes for Monkey and others.

Does this mean the preferred window is January 2017? Or can "after the new year" include dates closer to spring?

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

jmdavis

Right now the window is Feb, I think that there is an Appleseed will be scheduled for March. With the fleet matches April is tough, but not impossible. I am usually busy 3 weekends in April though.

But I will try to schedule when we can get the most people. So people, start thinking of good times. Realistically we could try a Saturday in Oct too. November and December and the first weekend in January are out. I will be hunting. 

Monkey

Quote from: jmdavis on June 10, 2016, 11:35:24 AM
Right now the window is Feb, I think that there is an Appleseed will be scheduled for March. With the fleet matches April is tough, but not impossible. I am usually busy 3 weekends in April though.

But I will try to schedule when we can get the most people. So people, start thinking of good times. Realistically we could try a Saturday in Oct too. November and December and the first weekend in January are out. I will be hunting.

As of right now, I'm good for any weekend in January or February.  Weather permitting, of course.

― Hyman G. Rickover

AMHLDO

I'll be home next Month and "shouldn't" be gone again for a little while at least.  So, I'd just say whatever available dates give us the highest percentage for favorable weather would be best.

The Wolfhound

Throw me into that briar patch!!!!!

varganator10sq

I may be interested. When the date is more solid I will know better. I will be going to the Event in December at Mechanicsville. Still new to the Appleseed events, but this one has peaked my curiousity.

jmdavis

Updates will be posted here. If someone cannot attend this one, there will be events in the future as well.

Monkey

Quote from: jmdavis on November 08, 2016, 10:47:21 AM
Updates will be posted here. If someone cannot attend this one, there will be events in the future as well.

Sweet.  Hoping this hadn't died on the vine.

― Hyman G. Rickover

jmdavis

No, not dead. But for you we also have monthly Highpower matches year round except for July and August. I think that there are winter reduced Highpower matches at Lafayette too. But I've never shot there.

Cloctor

Mike keep me informed on this, I have a FN 308 I would like to try out. Carl McCadams

Fastshot

New to AppleSeed, do you have to be Rifleman already to shoot? Where is Cavalier?

jmdavis

Cavalier is in Montpelier, VA. Around 25 miles west of Richmond. You would not have to be a Rifleman to shoot the KD, but you should be able to consistently shoot sub 6 MOA groups. I have a good supply of personally purchased D targets. We will shoot at 200, 300, 400 and possibly 600 yards at paper and steel. The KD range does not currently have a 100 yard target line.